Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

I faintly hear the soft melody that rolls off of Jezebel's lips like sweet honey

I faintly hear the soft melody that rolls off of Jezebel's lips like sweet honey. The piano keys, so delicately handled with care, strum the most melodic sound that anyone could ever hear.

Her intoxicating smile flashes in my mind. Crooked, sweet, and full of mischief. The dimple on her right cheek dips in softly, leaving the familiar, unforgettable, indent.

"Darling." the heart felt nickname once held happiness. Now, when I hear it from anywhere but her tender lips, it becomes a depressing melancholy feeling.

"Fix me up my darling." she sings, my heart swells.

Warmth surrounds me as I am caged in her arms. I relish in the feeling, closing my oh so tired eyes.

Drip. Drip.

I peel my fatigued eyes open and look on the floor. Droplets of blood coat the maple covered wood below my feet. Hesitance clouds my mind as I slowly look up, refusing to look at the deep, blooming gashes in my love's arms.

"I can't." I whisper, my vision blurring with burning tears. Her head drops momentarily before she looks back up at me with a smile, tears rolling down her caramel skin. "One more moment, please." I sing, my voice cracking and barely coming out as a whisper.

"It's too late, I'm afraid I have to leave." Jezebel's buttoned nose brushes mine. "Just promise me, promise me that you'll."

Our broken voices intermix, sewing together to make a whole. "Never give up, never look back."

"I won't give up, I'll keep on trying." soft, fragile hands cup my cheeks, wiping the steaming tears off of my face.

"Dry your tears up, all your crying." her voice cracks and drops, emotion ridding from her face. "Cannot fix me up, my darling."

"No, no. Finish the song. Please, Jez." I whimper and plead as her touch disappears, leaving me to curl up on the ground, listening to the soft piano fade.

The lyrics finish, falling from my cracked lips that have dealt with so much grief. "Fix me up, my darling." I rest my head on the wall behind me, more tears running down my face. "Fix me up, my darling."

I let go. Falling down into a deep void, full of nothingness. The voiceless lyrics echo through my mind until they dissolve into a painful whisper.

"Fix me up, my darling."

My tear stained lashes flutter open, leaving me to curl up in a ball on my side, sobs convulsing through my sore body. Earth shattering sobs soon turn into silently painful hiccups that burn my throat as if I swallowed one of those famous cookies she made, fresh out of the oven.