Prologue

Ava

    Where am I?
My whole body hurts, especially my nose. I swallow the bitter taste on my mouth and slowly open my eyes, but quickly close them after. My stomach feels sick and all I do is whimper in pain. My body feels lighter and after opening my eyes once again, I realize that I'm in a car.
     I hear people talking but I'm not sure if I'm hallucinating or if it's real. I can't figure what language they are talking but their tone seems like they are pleased.
      Suddenly flashbacks of Matteo running towards me pop into my mind and I freeze in fear as I realize I'm in his car. Alfonso Mancini's car. My parent's enemy has hunted them for years. The monster who killed them.   
    Adrenaline goes through my veins and the thought of torturing him sounds too tenting. But I feel too weak and afraid because he has an advantage. He's stronger than me and has men at his side that won't let anyone lay hand on him. I'm all alone in this.
      Matteo won't find me that easily and the thought makes me tremble. I heard my parents talk about a man called Alfonso. Someone who had everything planned out and covered. Not even them could track his next vengeful step. It was just spontaneous.
How am I going to make it out alive?
   I take a deep breath as I stared at the car's ceiling and listened to the mens laugh. Tears slipped through my cheeks and I bit my lower lip to avoid sobbing. 
      Suddenly the car stops and my breath is taken away. I hear the loud beating of my heart in my ears and I feel is going to come out of my chest at any moment. The car's door open and close hard enough for me to shrink into the darkness to hide from them but how could I?
     I try to calm my breathing as possible and pretend I'm still unconscious.
      "Looks like the little princess is still asleep." The men laugh out loud.
      "Keep her locked and keep on her. She might be stubborn like her mother. We don't know what she'll do to escape."
      "Yes sir."
    A phone finally vibrates.
        "ho un regalo per te," a man says in a lower voice. (I have a gift for you)
     I still keep my eyes closed and my breathing relaxed but my legs still tremble.
     As soon as they lay hands on me they notice it.
         "Pretending to not be scared, princess?"
       I open my eyes and the last thing I see his Alfonso looking at me as he talks through his phone.

Darkness welcomes me and the pain fades.