CHAPTER 1: She's a whore

CHAPTER 1

Mia

"I don't understand. You've only been dating for weeks". I said to my brother on the phone. "Get to the point, Mia," He asked as I make my way to the corner of our house. "My point is, she's a whore." And I meant what I said. Every girl my brother has dated is either stupid, a slut, or both. "Shut up and don't tell mom." He's annoyed, and that's okay with me. "I'll do it if you lend me your PlayStation." I reach down from my bag pack to find my keys. He took a deep breath before answering. "Fine. Whatever. Get it from my room." He finally replied. "Deal" I heard him scoff on the other end of the phone. "So what time will she be here?" I turned the knob and entered. Kicked my shoes off and headed towards his room. "I actually don't know. I'll text her right now." I heard him saying. I opened the door to his room only to be greeted by a goddess lying naked in his bed. Oh shit. "Mia? Hello?" I heard him say again. But this time, his voice isn't near my ear. I dropped my phone on the floor. So did my jaw.

"OH MY GOD," The goddess spoke. I turned my back around and tried to drag my eyes off of her nakedness. Was she blushing? I wasn't sure. "I'm so sorry," We said in chorus. Silence. Awkward. Fucking silence. "I didn't mean to walk in on you. I'm so.. I'm.. I'm sorry." Jesus. Where did the stuttering come from? Aren't you a brilliant public speaker?

"No! I'm sorry. I thought you were James." I hear her fumbling for her clothes. "You must be his sister." She reached out from behind me to grab the sweater hooked on the door. "Mia, right?" And suddenly she's in front of me. With clothes on. She wore a red blouse and a black mini skirt. "He's talked about you a lot." As she finishes buttoning up her sweater. She smiles. Dimples. I wonder where else could she have dimples on.. STOP. Say something. "Uhmmm.." It doesn't have to be smart. Just say something. "Yes! Mia. I am." Nope. Should have kept your mouth shut. She laughs. Holy shit her laugh echoed into my brain. A strand of gold hair falls from her face and I am mesmerized by how she put it behind her ears. And as if she was on fire, I immediately took two steps back to give her space. She probably wanted to get out of here more than I do. And I can't leave because this is my address. "Nice to meet you. I'm Lauren." She reached out her hand. Lauren. Whom I just described a 'whore' a minute ago. I extended my arm and took hers. "Likewise." And we shook hands. For what seemed like 13 minutes. "I should go. Have James call me. Okay?" And with that, she turned and left. James. My brother. Her boyfriend. On the phone. WHERE IS MY PHONE?

Lauren

"She saw you, what?" Andy asked. Not even trying to hide his laugh at all. If only he wasn't charming and my favorite gay cousin in the whole damn world, I would be strangling him right about now. "Naked! Okay? Are you happy now?" He's the only person I trust to say things like this in my life. "I would if I have seen your face. I can only imagine." Tears have welded up his eyes. I hate what he's so happy about. But I couldn't help but join him. "It was actually kind of funny." More laughter. Only this time, it came from both of us. "I see you're enjoying your stay here, Andy." My dad walked into the kitchen to get a glass of water. "I do love staying here, uncle. You know that." Andy answers with a glint in his eyes. "Well, I'm glad. How are you, pumpkin?" He turns to me. "I'm doing great dad. Anything else you need?" I asked. He looked tired. But still manages to smile at me. "Nothing, sweet pea. Just need more time at the office. So you two.." He looked straight at me and Andy. "Keep it down. I'll be working all night." We promised as he finishes his drink. I gave him a peck on the cheek as I watch him descend to the stairs.

"So you didn't get some tonight?" Andy asked once he's out of earshot. "Of course not. I ran out of there like the house was going to eat me alive. I mean how can I show my face in there after that?" Needing a drink myself, I grabbed a glass. "Maybe you can show your.." I faced him even before he can finish that sentence. "Stop it!"

Mia

Tonight's dinner is a pleasure. No one's talking. Just how I like it. I can actually enjoy my meal with some peace and quiet. Until the doorbell rings. "Who could that be?" Mom bluntly said. James and I looked at each other. "Will you go be a dear and get the door, honey?" She asks me. Smiling. Okay, who is ruining my quiet dinner? I got up and obeyed. I opened the door to see Stanley standing outside the porch. Looking rather.. well, Stanley. Crooked smile with a red bowtie. Who even wears bows nowadays? He does I remind myself. He lives 3 blocks from here. His aunt and my mom go to the same pottery class. "Oh, Stanley!" Mom somehow magically appears from behind me. "Come have dinner with us. Come in!" I went back to the table looking at my brother. Giving him the what-is-he-doing-here-look. He then looks back at me with I-have-no-idea-sis-but-good-luck-look.

A silent dinner. That's all I'm asking. James got up to offer a seat. But mom already got a chair for him. One that's right next to me. He sat. "My aunt made banana cake and thought we should share it with you guys." He set the cake he was holding onto the table. Which I had to admit, smells like heaven. "That's so sweet of you, Stan. Isn't that sweet of him, Robert?" Mom turned to dad. Who's probably thinking about basketball right this second. "Yes. It is. Thank you, Stan." He says to him. Before winking at me. He hates this more than I do. That's obvious. "Go on, Mia. Taste Stan's banana cake." Somehow that sentence cringed the F out of me. And James almost choked on his water. But of course, being a good daughter, I grabbed the knife and cut myself some dessert. I took a bite and it's actually not that bad. I hate that I can be swept by anything sweet.

Stan's visit was cut short after his whole face turned red for a peanut that mom offered. He said he knows he's allergic. But wanted to show me that he's capable of anything. For the next 5 minutes, he did manage to pull that off. Until mom had to call his aunt to come to pick him up because I don't think he was breathing at all.

"Well, that went well." James plopped down into the couch next to where I am sitting. I am not in the mood. "C'mon, Mia." Trying his best to cheer me up. "When is she going to stop?" I finally said. He didn't answer. I know deep down he also wants me to start a relationship. The only person in this house who isn't bothered about my single life is dad. "Didn't you think he was attractive, though?" He asked. In all seriousness. "The not breathing part was kind of cute." That earned a laugh from him. Which I had to join because it was the best part of the evening. "Okay, okay. I get it." He says as he finishes gawking. "I wouldn't want him for you anyways." Thank you. "But whoever wins your heart is going to have to come to me first. I'm going to make sure this guy isn't going to play on you, Mia." Guy. That made me a little bit sad.

"Anyway, I have a favor to ask." He sat up straight in front of me. "What now James?" I said irritatingly as I took my phone out of my pocket. "Well, you know girls aren't allowed in my room." He whispered. I know that. Because guys aren't allowed in my room. "So?" Fixated on my screen. "So I need HER to stay in your room." He explained. "I don't want your girlfriend in my room, James." I'm really not in the mood. "C'mon. Lauren can sleep with you."

Lauren. The naked goddess in his bed a week ago.Lauren. Whose dimples are so deep dolphins could swim in her smile. And her laughter that's still echoing in my brain. "Did you hear what I said?" His voice snapped the crap out of me. "What?" I asked. Coming back to reality. "I said if you do this I'll teach you how to drive." He repeated. That is a good deal. And I'm fucked up.