CHAPTER15: Black Nail Polish

Mia

                "I am soooo ready for this weekend." Amber throws her arms around my neck as she joined me in the hallway. Lost in my own thoughts again. "Aren't you going to be busy with Franz this Saturday?" I asked her. Once a month we go clubbing. It's like a tradition. But lately, Amber being in a relationship and all, it has just been Ben and me. "Nope. He and his family are going on a trip down their lake house. So sober is the only thing we are not going to be this weekend." She grinned ear to ear. "Who's not going to be sober this weekend?" Ben pulled up from the corner and he pinched my cheeks. As well as Amber's. "You guys, I think I'm just gonna sit this one at home." The two stopped walking and I had to turn my head to face them. "But.. you never bailed our once a month clubbing." Amber pouted. "Yeah. Amber does that. But you don't." Ben said. That earned a hard punch on his arm from Amber. So he pinched her back. And so a little slapping and pinching began right in front of me.

                      "Have you noticed she's been dozing off, lately?" Amber whispered to Ben. Then slapped his arm one last time. "You mean like what she's doing right now?" He leaned and whisper back at her. I scoffed at the two of them. "I can hear everything, you know." Amber crosses her arms. "You're being grumpy. You need a little romance in your life." Ben mirrored her arm crossing. "What she said." I rolled my eyes. "I've tried dating and it didn't work out. Remember?" Amber pulled me in the middle of the two of them. "Let's just try and meet guys at the club this weekend and if you're still not up for any flirting then help me find Ben a girlfriend." On cue, Ben smiled innocently. Already liking that idea. "Fine."

Lauren

                    I rolled my head from side to side. Hours in front of the laptop does painful things to my neck and shoulders. But it has been a high-yielding afternoon, knowing I've taken Mallory's notes from my draft and fixed what needs to be fixed. My phone buzzed from where it was sitting on the table. I flipped it to see Taylor calling. I slid on the green bar and held it up to my ear. "Get your sexy writer's ass up. We're near your block. And wear something cute." The phone clicked off before I even breathed a reply. I stared at it. As if the mobile will give me answers. But the sound of Taylors car answered that question.

                  "That new club in Charity Street just opened." Taylor and Sam strolled inside once I opened the door for them. I remember the place. Red Dots. But confusion plastered on my face. "Sooo?" I motioned circles on my hand expecting the girls to explain more. "So we're going!" Sam jumped as she claps her hands. Taylor joined in on her excitement. "But I've got tons of work to do." A lie. I just finished editing my latest adventures with Gary. But I was so tired lately all I wanted to do is plunge into bed. A little neck massage would be great. Someone who has précised skills. And preferably with a black nail polish. I shook my head at the thought. Getting Mia out of my mind seemed impossible. Even if we haven't seen each other in a week now. But somehow I managed.

A little bit.

                    Sam raced to my side and started guiding me back to my lavender colored bedroom. "Come on, Lauri. When was the last time you were really out there? You barely hang out with us." This was true. And I felt bad. Specially for Sam. I actually do miss hanging out with them. "I've just been slammed with-" "With your success writing with Mallory. We know." She motioned Taylor to my closet. Without missing a beat, she went on in search for a cute outfit. "You need a girl's night out. And that's exactly what we're doing." I started. "But I-" "But nothing!" I sat back on the edge of my bed with a thump. Taylor gasped. She held out a nude color laced crop top from my dresser. Surprised that she'd even found it since I haven't worn that in like, ever. Sam nodded her head. "Yes!" And with that, I was swept away.

                The music was blaring; my ears could bleed at any minute. My head ached. 8 hours in front of a monitor and now different shades of blues and greens glazed before my eyes. The opening of the bar looks great so far. Saturday evening and the place is packed with teenagers and young adults in a variety. In the corner, two guys started plunging in each other's throats. Okay.

                    "I need a drink." I yelled from the top of my lungs. "We all do." Taylor yelled back. And so we moved to the bar. But not without boys and girls stares at me as I walk. Now I remember why I don't wear this specific top. My cleavage peeked just enough to turn heads. And I'm uncomfortable at the sudden attention.