CHAPTER23: There's Something you need to Know

Mia

As I change into my sweat pants, I plopped down the bed. Still thinking what it was that made Lauren upset. The image of her fresh tears still lingers on my mind. I wanted to give her space. But I also need to know if she got home safe. I reached out for my phone on the bedside table. As I was about to call Lauren, it buzzed. A text from Sarah.

Sarah: I think I know what's up with Lauren tonight.

A photo was attached to the message. I opened the file.

The door to James' room opened just a crack after I banged hard on it and I was met by a sleepy James. I kicked the door and it opened wide. "What the fuck, Mia." He mumbles. I held my phone right at his face. "Care to explain this photo?" He rubbed his eyes and squinted at the screen until a photo of him and Jessica kissing came into his focus. He scratched his head and looked down at the floor. "That's not what it looks like."

"Oh really??"

"Yes. Really. I was just... helping her find her find her keys."

"In her fucking mouth, James??"

He finally gave up and plopped down in his bed and brought his hands to his face. I rarely see him in this form. I gave him a few minutes to gather his thoughts. When he looked up to me, it was all I could do not to rush to his side and hug him. I stood my ground by his window. "She's slipping from my fingers, Mi."I didn't need to ask who. He was talking about Lauren. I took a deep breath and fingered my hair. Not knowing what to do or say next. "I feel like I haven't been treating her right. Maybe I didn't appreciate her enough. Or my stupid ass would leave her during parties. All I know is, there's another guy." I shut my eyes for a brief moment. I turned back to face him. "What made you say that, James?"

"We barely talk. She grew silent. And.. we never." He's hesitating. I moved closer to him and sat next to his bed. His eyes glued to the carpet. "We never slept together." I paused. "We always talked and planned it before. She was gonna sneak into my room.." The first day I met her. She was right in this bed. Naked. They were going to do it then. Now I'm realizing. "Weeks ago, Jessica started hitting my phone again. And we got to talking. We also see each other." I covered my mouth with my hands. He's been seeing his ex behind Lauren? "But you gotta believe me, Mia. Nothing happened between us." He looked at me in the eye. I would've never believed that. But his eyes told me otherwise. I know when James is lying. And this is not one of those.

He shook his head. "I never intended to hurt Lauren. I just know that whoever this guy is, I can never compete with him. Suddenly she's all glowing. Do you know him?"

"What? Why would I know the guy?" I said in defense. "You two have grown close together. Don't think I haven't noticed. I had a feeling she tells you these kinds of stuff because she's always asking about you." The thought made me blush. But I filed it away. "Mia. If there's a guy you'd tell me, right?" James presented his puppy dog eyes. The ones I cannot resist about my brother. And he's not even trying. I swallowed. "There is no guy, James." I have never lied and said the truth at the same time ever before. He nodded and looked down at the carpet again. I mirrored him. "But there is something you need to know.."