CHAPTER 6: What girl?

Mia

I can hear Amber talking. But I don't understand a word she's saying. It's Saturday afternoon, I'm hanging out with the gang on our usual fast food. Yet my head still feels like shit after all the alcohol last night. I'm not really the type who gets drunk easily. But I was preoccupied. Sarah and I talked a lot. Correction: drank a lot. She's so hardcore. I don't think I can keep up with her. But it wasn't the alcohol that made my brain oozing like crazy today. It was the awful ride home. James didn't drink much because he's the one driving. And I don't think Lauren drank at all during the party. Which is weird. Because my brother's ex girlfriends drink. Hard. But even then, James drove recklessly. As he always does after he's had a good time. Which caused me to bump thighs with Lauren's in the backseat that sends shiver down my spine. Until dizziness crept and I had to shut my eyes off.

I hear Lauren's voice saying something to James between 'drive' and 'be careful'. But I was almost blacked out. I bobbed and nodded forward. I felt a soft hand on my left jaw. And my head was gently tugged to rest into a broad shoulder. I relaxed. She smells like Vanilla. How could someone smell that sweet? I tried to open my heavy eyes and looked up to the shoulder I was leaning into. There were those long lashes again. The proximity of our faces caused my heart thumping like it was going to burst out of my chest. She looks down and our eyes met. If James turned into a blind corner, I swear to God, I'm going to die. I feel hot. My head tender. The car slowly stopped and I had to turn away from Lauren. It was only a matter of seconds before I could open the door and retch my guts out on the sidewalk.

I shut my eyes at the mortifying memory and brought my palm to my face. Trying to remember what happened next. One thing for sure though, I did not throw up on Lauren. Did I?

Moments later I finally felt the effect of the pain killers I took. I drew a heavy breath. "I know, right??" Amber points at me. I blinked at her. She continues her story but Ben gave me a look. Meaning, he knows I haven't been listening. I chose to ignore him and redirected my attention to Amber's rant about missing her skin care routine because... there was a squirrel?

"What's with you today?" Ben asked as we make our way home. He always picks up when something's troubling me. We've been walking in silence since Amber parted ways with us. I gave him a confused look. "Don't look at me like that. I know you." Damn it. "Spill." He says. Now walking backwards so he could face me. "I guess I've just been dozing off lately, huh?" He nodded. I sighed and tried to find the right words. "There was this party at Mike's last night. I was with James..and there was this girl.." He stopped. We almost collided. "A girl?" He asks. "What girl?"

"What girl?" I repeated.

Okay, that sounded a little defensive. I continued walking. "I meant, I met a new friend." He blinked. "A girl. Lady. Friend.." Hoping that he'll buy it. "She pretty?" He asks. "The word would be gorgeous." He stops walking again and this time we bumped heads. "Dude!" I yelled at him. He just looked at me. And then I realized what just came out of my mouth. I was thinking about Lauren. "Sarah. Yeah. You'd like her. She's your type. And she's single.. I think." I've been blabbering. But he beamed and smiled. "Really?"

That was close. I should really be careful on my words when I'm thinking about Lauren. Or I could just stop thinking about her. I can do that. Can I?

Lauren

"I can't believe you slept with him. This is so not you." I bumped Andy's shoulders as he licks his ice cream. We're spending the Tuesday together. Tuesdays was ours. He presented me with one of his charming smiles. "Times are changing, cos. This is the new me. Besides, I really realllyyy like him." He looked skyward and his eyes shimmered. I haven't seen him glow like this with any guy or girl he's ever gone out with. "Well are you going to give me details or not?" I wriggled my eyebrows. Knowing damn well he'll be spilling. Hell! he'll be giving me more details than what I'm asking for. But I would enjoy it because he's so cheerful. He then went on and on about their kissing from the restaurant, the cab, and to his bedroom. "I mean we've been chatting for months. It would be a sin if we weren't on each other's faces for when we first meet." I covered my mouth so as not to burst from laughing. I can't believe he just said that. "On the contrary, Andy. What part of that is not sinful?" We laughed. This was a good day.

"So I heard there was a party at Mike's just the other day. You and James were there, right? " He finished what was left of his ice cream cone. "And Mia." I followed. His eyebrows shot up. "The sister?" I nodded in response. "How you holding up with that? Is she giving you a hard time?" He asked. Remembering a certain little evil sister. "No one's little sister is worse than Frank, Andy." I confirmed. My ex boyfriend's sister gave me hell. Which probably was the cause of our break up. "No. Mia's different."

"Different how?" His full attention on me now. Which makes me squirm. Specially at the question."What is there to say? She's my boyfriend's sister." I answered like it was the most obvious thing. He narrowed his eyes at me."I feel like there's more to that. I can't put my finger on it." He wasn't lying. There is more to that. She's not just James' sister. She's.. Mia. I thought for a minute. We haven't spent that much time together. But one thing's for sure. "I like her."

"Come again?" Andy turned his head to me."What?" Now it was my turn to be confused. "You like her?" He repeated. Did I say that out loud? "Yes. I meanshe's nice." He nodded. "Not a meanie brat kind of sister, huh?" I agreed.Definitely not a meanie. "She seemed smart too. She's taking gender studies. Youtwo will hit it off." I stare out the park. The grass is greener than the pastfew months. "She sounds cool." Andy commented. She also has the bluest of blueeyes I have ever seen. James's eyes are blue too. But hers is like the color ofthe ocean. Peaceful. It shines brighter as the pool reflected on it the nightat the party. It caught my breath somehow. Which is magnetizing and daunting atthe same time. And when she smiles, I couldn't help but mirror it. And then.."Lauri! Your ice cream is melting, girl." Andy yanked me from my line ofthinking. "Oh." I tried to save the third drip from my vanilla scone. "Wheredid you go just now?"