CHAPTER20: I am NOT falling.

Mia

It was a quiet afternoon walk to the park with Chanchan. Dad doesn't usually take walks but every once in a while, he'd accompany me out. This is one of those days. "I really miss working at the mechanic." I turned to him. He's been a car mechanic for over 15 years now. And when I was a kid, he'd always bring me there. Where I learned every little thing. "You're better at the coffee house where you'd get paid." I smile. He's right. Although I have been enjoying being there, it doesn't exactly pay my allowance. "You want to talk about who's got you all quiet, lately?" My eyebrows shot up at the question. "You know what I'm talking about, Mia. Particularly, who." He stared at me. Oh.. He always sees right through me. I don't know how he does it. But I do know there's no way around this. If there's anyone I couldn't lie to, it would be my dad. I sighed. "Yeah, there is one." We sat at a nearby bench where I unhooked Chanchan's leash and let him play around the grass for a while. "What does it mean when one person is always in your mind? You're wondering how their day is going, what they're doing.." What they're wearing. I kept that last part out to myself. This is my dad I'm talking to. "It's just a crush, right? An infatuation? Something that'll pass through time?" He looked skyward and chewed on his moustache. "Tell me about this person."

"Well.. They're really kind. I can tell from their big green eyes. Sometimes it'd have freckles of tiny gold. What kind of eyes is that?? It danced when they're really happy. And I couldn't look away even if I wanted to. And the spark. I mean where is that even coming from?" I shook my head and looked around as if the answer would be right here in the park. And don't even get me started on her lips. I stopped to look at Chanchan who is now enjoying the attention of a woman rubbing his belly. I nodded in approval. You and I both, buddy. Apparently, I'm a dog too. Strangely, I didn't check out the woman I usually do. "I like the way they smile. And not just any smile. The smile that's somehow reserved just for me. And that's really.. weird. Do you get what I'm at, dad?" I finally turned desperate to him. Because maybe I do need help. "Sounds like you're falling." I stood up quickly to pick up the tennis ball for chanchan. When he saw it, he came running towards me and yelped and wiggled his tail. "You want this, don't you? Oh yes you do. Oh yes you want this ball." His reply was more excessive yip and leapt vertically. "And.. go!" Like a rocket, Chanchan bolted right after the ball. I placed my hands over my hips and turned to dad. "I am not falling." I said flatly. "So I'm attracted to this person. No big deal. They're easy on the eyes. I mean if you've seen them-.."

"Oh, I've seen her. She's pretty." Dad said quietly. We've never used specific pronouns. I made sure not to use specifics. Did I slip? I didn't say her name, did I? "Right.. he's pretty." Hoping he'll buy it. "Nope." His eye gazed just behind my shoulders. "She is." I turned around just in time to see Lauren. Lauren in a casual green dress that perfectly matches her eyes. Which found mine. And a slow smile formed from her lips. I'm deadpanned. Butterflies flooded my stomach and it won't go away. Her arms are linked with a guy. She walked towards us. I absently fixed my cap. And in my peripheral I saw dad smirk. Fuck. Get a hold of yourself, will you? It's just Lauren. Sure you made out with her three days ago in a public restroom. No big deal. I make out with girls in public everyday.

"Mr.. I mean, Richard. Hi. It's a wonderful afternoon, isn't it?" She regarded dad. "Sure is. Wonderful, isn't it, Mia?" He turned to me with a knowing smile. Oh I am so screwed. "Mia." Lauren says to me with an emboldened eye contact. "Lauren.." I managed to say. I could stare at her for hours. "Andy." The guy who stood next to her said. All eyes now on him. "Right! Uh.." Lauren laughed. The loud one which I can never get used to. "This is my cousin, Andy."

Lauren

Andy smiles brightly, it's contagious. "I've heard so much about you. Lauren couldn't stop talking about you." At that comment, Mia blushed right on the spot. Oh my God she's so cute. "Oh.." She says. I glared at Andy. Thankfully, he understood that and changed the subject. "So, gender studies? That sounds interesting. I'm gay. Which makes it more interesting." Mia seemed to relax as the two talked about the subject. "Your thesis is about body positivity? I'm so jealous! I think that's great."

"Yeah. Thanks. I think so too."

I let this opportunity to study Mia's body. Her subtle curves and toned legs which I want nothing more to be draped behind my back. My eyes darted to her torso. Her black bra that was visible at the club when I accidentally poured my drinks over her. The memory alone snaked desires up my spine. And her damned hands all over my neck and- "Are you up for it?" Andy turned to me expecting an answer.

There's been a question?

"Yeah, sure. I'm up for it." Lie. I didn't know what I'm agreeing into. "Great. I'll see you guys at the drive in movie then." Mia says. So that's what it was. She whistled and Chanchan was right beside her in 2.3 seconds. He dropped the ball from his mouth and went sniffing Andy's pants. "What a cutie! Is this the dog you were telling me about, Lauri? Oh he's not so bad. Aren't you, buddy?" He knelt down to scratch behind his ears. Which earned him a couple of doggie kisses. It turned to me with a loud growl and I jumped. Richard laughed. "Yeah, he doesn't you." Andy simply said. "Tell me something I don't know." I growled back at the little beastie and he instantly ran behind Mia's legs. She laughs. "I think you're the only one that scares him." I held a triumphant smile.

"Well, I'd let you guys get back to your afternoon." I regarded to Mia and Richard who nodded. "Great meeting you, Mia. Looking forward on Friday." Andy winks at Mia, gave her a light hug and a kiss in both cheeks. I didn't know what to do so I went in for a hug too. Don't think about the last time you kissed her. Don't think about that. "You look beautiful." She whispered in my ear and my smile faltered. I felt the heat on my cheeks and had to pull away before she feels the thumping on my chest.