CHAPTER 2: Me or my Sister?

Lauren

I lay in my bed as I toss an orange up in the air. Words. I need good ones. All week I have been working my brains out to type a worthy paragraph for the current book I'm writing. And I still cannot come up with anything. My phone buzzes for what seemed like 30 times already. I finally gave up. Shut my laptop off and grabbed my phone. 3 messages from James. 1 from dad. And 16 messages from Andy. Actually, 16 memes from Andy. I opened dad's first. "Will be home late. Order pizza. Love you." Alrighty, dad. Pizza it is. I opened James' messages and my lips formed into a smile. He sent a selfie of him and his dog. I go out of the balcony to reply and get some air in my lungs. I type:

Lauren: I don't know who's cuter. You or the dog.James: He will bite you if you don't answer correctly.Lauren: You or the dog? lolJames: *Sent a photo*Lauren: Who is that in the back?James: *Sent a video*I played the video he sent. Hello, half-naked James. Okay, your dog is cute. But I mean... half-naked James for crying out loud. "Mia! Come over here." I hear him say. "No," A voice said. James rushed into where the voice came from. Mia is now in the shot. Brushing her teeth. "Mia say hi to my girlfriend." He says as he comes closer to her. Her eyes widened. "James! Stop!" And the bathroom door was shut. He laughs. And the video ended.James: So yeah. That was my sister. HahahaMia. Of course, I remember. How could I forget? The first time a girl has seen me naked and it has to be my boyfriend's sister. I rolled my eyes for exasperation. It has been a week since then but it still haunts me. Hold it. I re-entered my room and sat back in my bed turning my laptop on. A different scenery. Yes. That's what's been missing in this story. Scratch condo living. He's now near the sea. Where the breeze and the color of the ocean can bring him both sorrow and joy. I hope I can bring this character to justice. For the next hour or so I type until my battery runs out. The evening turned out to be productive. I checked my phone and didn't realize that it's past midnight. I forgot to text James. I read his last message.James: So now who's cute? Me or my sister?James: Babe?I winced. This was two hours ago. I quickly type to reply. "Babe, I'm sorry. Been writing. I'll see you tomorrow." I then washed my face and prepared for bed. Eager to start a brand new day. I replayed our conversation since the morning to the photos he sent me. His last message lingered in my mind. 'Who's cute? Me or my sister?'

Mia

"You ready for the game tonight?" Ben looked at me with expecting eyes. "I'm always ready to kick some butt, Ben." Two hours left till I finish my shift. It has been a long hard day here at the Pink Bean Cafe. It always is on Fridays anyway. I am so ready to go home. Change into my sweatpants and be greeted by my furry little best friend. The bell rings and the door is flung open. "What's up, James?" I hear Ben greeting the customer. I turned around not only to face my brother. But his hands around Lauren. She immediately found my eyes. Good God she's stunning. She looks a bit surprised to see me. But she smothered a smirk anyway. And that's all I needed to smile back. James and Ben continued their conversation as I prepare to take their orders. Seconds later, Ben went back to his station as I take the counter and punched down James' favorite beverage. "What do you want, babe?" He takes out the spiderman wallet that I gave him last Christmas.

"Uhm.. I dunno" She scans the menu that sits right above my head. Of course, she doesn't. She's never been here before. If she has, I would definitely remember. "What's your favorite drink here, Mia?" She looks back down at me. Well, that was unexpected. No one's asked me that before. I looked at James. "Have you two met?" He points his finger back and forth at us. "Because this is my sister, Mia. I don't think I've made introductions." He looks dumbfounded. Lauren didn't tell him about our.. uh. Encounter. Why didn't she tell him? Is it hot in here? Who turned down the AC? Three more customers came and all our heads turned to the door. Saved by the bell. "I'll just have whatever you can recommend." She says. James hands me a bill. I thought for a moment. "Vanilla Cream Bean it is." I smiled as I finalize their order. More customers came and they left the counter before we can say that it was nice to meet each other. Again.I glance down to my watch to see that it was closing time. I look over to the table of our last customer. Which I have been doing since the moment they stepped into the cafe. James and Lauren are in a deep conversation. And I have to admit, they look good together. I'd be lying if I said James is the ugliest brother in the world. And to be paired up with as gorgeous as Lauren? They sure are one hell of a couple. James held her close and kissed her on the lips. She smiled and looked around to catch me starring at their love affair. She seemed embarrassed and softly pushes him away. I see James kiss girls in the past. It's not a big deal. But I appreciate Lauren's concern for his little sister witnessing such an intimate scene.