CHAPTER7: No, no, no churning.

Mia

"Tonight's the night, sis!" James jumped up and down like he used to when he was 10. Chanchan decided to join him. Not following what was happening, I asked. "What's tonight?" Looking between him and the dog. "Lauren's coming over for dinner. She's staying the night, too." He smiles and stops jumping because Chanchan started vomiting again. Lauren's coming. "Where is she sleeping?" I asked. Panic creeping out of my system. "I wish I could say mine, but no. She's all yours for the night." Fucking hell. "After a few cuddles on the sofa, that is." FUCKING HELL. He winks at me. There's a sudden pang in my stomach. I feel sick. And I'm not even sure why. The fact that Lauren will be sleeping in my bed or the thought of him and James cuddling on the couch. I need some air.

Once outside, I inhaled. Held my breath for 5 seconds and let out a long heavy exhale. I haven't seen her in, what, a week? From the party. From when I threw up and I had the worst hangover in my entire 19 years of living on earth. This is fine. We're fine. Why am I panicking? It's not like I'm attracted to her and her long legs. It's just Lauren. Who... is right now walking towards me. Sweet baby Jesus. She wore a red turtle neck. Much like maroon because of her beautiful white pale skin. Pairing up with not a skirt, but a black skinny jeans and short boots. Her hair was lazily in a bun and a few strands fell from her forehead. But the best of all was her smile. She wears that smile better than any other human and oh my God. I am attracted to her.

"Hey Mia." She waves graciously at my direction before she could walk the final steps to our porch to greet my brother. My eyes followed her every move. They kiss. Well fuck. The one time I'm truly crushing on a girl and they had to be in the off-limits list. She's dating my brother. Which means she'll probably hang out here a lot. How am I going to manoeuvre that exactly? My heart thrummed and my stomach ill. This is going to be looong night.

Lauren

"This is incredible, Mrs. Ghallager." I commented after sipping a bowl of pumpkin soup. This is my favourite. Which of course, James knows. I remembered eating it as a kid with my mom. The memory stayed in my mind for a few moments. "Mrs Ghallager? Oh goodness, Lauren! Call me Caitlyn." She smiles and a future Mia appeared before my eyes. "And call me Robert, please." Mr. Ghallager followed. Nodding as he passes me a basket of hot potatoes. James winks at me. This feels very nice and welcoming. I now like this house. "You know, I never thought that my son will find such a girl like you. Compared to.. What was the name of that rude girl your brother dated, Mia? The one who didn't say anything and has black make up under her eyes?" She turned to her daughter. Who is now laughing. "I don't remember but she was the worse." At that exact moment, a bread flew in Mia's direction coming from his brother. Who mouthed the words 'fuck you' to his sister. But Mia isn't finished laughing. Robert seemed to be enjoying the view of his young troublemakers on the table. And who could blame him? The two are remarkably rascals.

"James told me you're writing a book?" I felt warm in my cheeks at that. I'm not really confident when it comes to my writings. At least not yet. James took the spot. "She does, mom. She's currently working on a fiction, was it babe?" He turns to me. Is he serious? I looked down at my plate. "Ow! Mia what the.."

"Language!" Caitlyn shouted. "She just kicked me under the table!" James pointed to his sister. It was her time to mouth 'adventure, dip shit.'. He didn't understand it at first. I turn to speak. "Yes. Although it's not finished yet." I said as I stick a potato on my fork. "What's the plot, darling?" Caitlyn pressed on. I looked at everyone in the table. And then Mia. She gave me a comforting smile. I sat straight and began telling the plot. "Isn't she great, mom?" James said. His eyes beaming. "Yes. I can't wait to read it once it's done. Will you be able to give me a copy, dear?"

"You'd be the first to have."

Mia

I pointed at the plates before me. "It's your dishes tonight, big bro." I said to James. Sticking my tongue out. I did the dishes at lunch. So he gets to do dinner. That's just the way it is. "Actually Mia, you're gonna have to take this on your own." Dad said to me and turned to James. "I need a hand on the car so we can get it fixed by Tuesday. Your mother needs it." James made a triumphant pose. Before giving a peck on Lauren's cheeks and whispered "I'll be right back". Who got up and started to stack plates. The men were gone and mom headed for her nightly shower. "Oh you don't have to do that." I took the plates from Lauren. Which she reluctantly pulled away. "I got this." She says. "No. I got it."

"No. I do."

"I do."

It was at that moment Chanchan growled at Lauren. She let go of the plates. "Good boy." I said to the dog. Her hands landed on her hips. I heard her sigh. "You and your dog. Are worse than you and your brother." I laughed at the comment. She growls back at him. And Chanchan scattered into the living room. Leaving only me, Lauren and the dishes all piled up in the sink. "Impressive." I stared at her in amazement. "He's never scared of anything." I put an apron on. "Well I've been working on my growl since the last time I met him." She looked around the kitchen. "What are you looking for?" I asked her. "Do you have an extra apron? Please let me help. I have now learned how stubborn you are so I'm begging you. Please?" She looked adorable. That pout. I laughed and looked down at the dishes. It is quite a lot. I sighed. "Fine." I went to the stock room to grab another apron and handed it to Lauren. I helped her tie it around her waist. "Thanks." She mumbled.

We worked on the plates in silence.

"Did you like the dinner?"

"How was work?"

We both said at the same time. She chuckled. "The dinner was delicious. Thank you." Standing so close to her in front of the soapy sink makes my stomach churn. No. No. No churning. Stop that. "Your turn." She says. Distracting me from my attempt to stop churning. "Work was fine. Not a lot of people on weekdays. Pass me that plate over there." She handed me the plate I was asking and I felt her wet slender fingers in mine.

We went back to working in silence. I stole some quick glances over her which she answers with a smirk. "You and James are pretty close. I wish I had somebody like that." She commented out of the blue. "You're an only child or you're not close with your siblings?" I asked. "No brothers or sisters. Just me and my dad."

"Where's your mom?" I said when all the plates and glasses were soaked in dishwashing soap. "She died when I was five years old. She had cancer." Oh. "I'm sorry, Lauren." I paused to look at her. "It's not your fault." She smiles. But there's a faint of sadness behind her eyes. "Well, yeah. But you know. I mean.." She laughs. That loud one that echoes in the entire kitchen room. And again, my brain. "I'm just playing with you." We bump shoulders. "It was a long time ago. I don't even remember much of her." We held each other's gaze before finishing the task that's right in front of us.