CHAPTER21: Not Gay for Me

Mia

I chose to wear my blue fitted blouse and cutoffs that night. Happy to be back in my old white snickers. And my rainbow ball cap. I ignored the flirty texts I've been getting from Joseph since the double date. Ugh. Take a hint, buddy. The drive in movie is not far away from the cafe so I started walking. When I rounded the block I felt a hand intertwined between my fingers. "Hi there." Sarah's brown eyes beamed at me. "Hey you." I smiled back. Surprised to see her on this block. "Headed home?" She checked her watch. "It's only 9pm on a Saturday night. Of course not." I laughed. "I forgot who I was talking to."

"What about you? Any plans for tonight?" She asked. "I'm actually on my way to the drive in theatre. I'm meeting some friends over there right now." She halted her walking. Which I was dragged into. "Get out. That's where I'm heading." I like Sarah in sober mode than alcohol mode. She's extra cool and talkative. I've learned that she's bisexual and had a rough recent breakup with a girl. But is currently seeing a guy. A cute drummer guy, she says. She's also passionate about her job and dreams of one day having her own bar.

We continued walking hand in hand till we arrived at our destination. I immediately saw James' truck and approached the vehicle. In front of it laid a red blanket where Lauren and Andy are sitting comfortably.

"Mia's here!" I hear the familiar voice of Andy. My eyes met Lauren and her smile disappeared when she saw my hands. Still holding Sarah's. I didn't even noticed until I saw her blank expression. "Hey Andy!" We hugged. This guy is a hugger. And I like him a lot. "Mia, did you get my text?" James' jumped from inside the truck and retrieved snacks. "Yep, I got the beer right here." I held up the 6 pack I was holding. "Great! Movie will begin in a minute. Hi there." He turned to Sarah. I made introductions to him, as well as Andy. "Mikes party." He snapped his fingers. "That's why you look familiar."

"Omg, I love this jacket. Did you get that from Silhouette on Rodeo Drive?" Andy says. "Yes I did! I like your style." Sarah replies.

"I like you!"

Sarah joined us in the blanket and we all made small talk. All of us. Except for Lauren. She made an occasional nod and barely looks at me in the eye. It was frustrating. "The movie's about to get started. I better find my friends." Sarah stood up. "It was nice meeting you guys." She smiles. "I'll see you at that bar you work." James said to her with a fist bump. "And Instagram me those clothings." Andy blew her a kiss.

The movie rolled. And we all hopped into the back of the truck. Andy opened the pop corn while the rest of us finish our beer. "Is that Rex over there?" James said peering over the cars. "And Jamie. I'm gonna go say hi." He jumped off and left without waiting for anyone's answer. A phone vibrated. "Oh!" Andy exclaims. "It's my boyfriend." Even in the evening, I could see his cheeks turning slight pink. "Baby.." He held the phone close to his ears and walked away from the car. Which left me, Lauren. And the butterflies that are having a raging party on my stomach.

Lauren

An evening alone with Mia in front of a giant screen, with people outdoors. Perfect. This is just what I need. I tried to ignore the pang of jealousy in my core. Mia is obviously gay. But not gay for me. That's fine. I'm not gay. Who says I'm gay? It was one girl kiss. Oh but if it wasn't one wonderful girl kiss. The feel of her body pressed on- "Why are we watching this?" Mia interrupted my train of thoughts on its way to lesbian kissing. "What?" I asked. She blinked at me. "The.. movie?" She inclined to the screen as I made eye contact with Zac Efron. "New Year's Eve? What's wrong with that?" I asked her. "It's in the middle of September. We should be watching The Proposal. Or Leap year." She crossed her arms. "Oh. Because Leap Year would be perfect for the season?" I told her and shook my head. A moment of silence. "Your girlfriend is pretty nice."

What? Who said that? I didn't.

Okay that snagged her full attention. "I don't have a girlfriend, Lauren."

"Sarah.."

"Is a friend."

Well that made me shut the hell up. "Besides she's seeing a guy." A guy. Bisexual, maybe? If Mallory was here she'd read these people like it's her job to do so. She went back to the screen. "Oh, now that is an obvious fuckboy."

"Who?" I dragged my eyes off of her and followed her gaze. "Seth?" I asked. Looking at the 15 year old boy. "Look at that stupid smug on his face."

"You're judging him. Will you focus on other things?"

"Like the Glee girl and Kutcher on the elevator? Yeah that part's cool 'cos she's hot." She drank from her cold beer. And as if she realized something she said, her cheeks turned red in an instant. Yep. She's definitely gay. Another silence.

"Can I ask why you did it?" And there it is. A blatant question. And I hope I could answer. But I'm finding out why I did it too. There was an attraction there. That's for sure. But there were also unresolved feelings. Stuff I never thought I would want. And I don't know why. But I think I like you, Mia. Without my permission, my eyes darted down to her lips. Full and beautiful. I found myself leaning into it. "I have to go." Andy's voice came. I whirled myself out of the zone. The Mia zone. "What?" I asked him. "Jonathan just got off from work early tonight and.. he needs help with something." He said. Which, of course is code for sex. I got off to kiss Andy on the cheeks. "Fine. Just promise to buy me ice cream for the next Tuesday."

"Done. Bye Mia. Sorry again. We'll hang out more soon. Cross my heart, darling!" And with that we were left alone again.