Chapter 60- Because the Night

Whitmore Collage. A small college a little outside of our home town. It was now closer towards night now. The drive has taken longer than expected, but now we stood outside of an office. One that looked really familiar.

"Are you sure this is his office?" I ask as Stefan walks in with Nik following me and Caroline behind them.

"Positive, why?" He asks as we walk further in Stefan's eyes turning towards the table near us filled with jars filled an assortment of items.

"What are we even looking for?" Caroline asks as she closes the door.

"Well, if Shane really was working with Silas, chances are he was helping him plan his next move," Stefan says as we all walk our separate ways around the room.

"Where, on his evil villain to-do list- steal blood, perform 3 massacres, pick up the dry cleaning?" I joke walking over to a shelf. I hear Caroline laugh at that. I could've sworn I've been here before.

"Actually not to nit-pick,  but we evil villains usually use minions to pick up our dry cleaning, that sort of thing," Nik adds on to the joke making me smile and turn to face him to look at me so lovingly.

"Why is he necessary again?" Caroline speaks up talking about Nik.

"Well, we don't know what Silas can do, so if we do have to go head to head with him, an original hybrid who can't die might come in handy," Stefan says.

"Besides, Stefan and I work well together, or at least we did in the twenties," Nik replies moving toward the desk and looking over it while  I move to the bookshelves.

"Well, granted my emotions were off." Stefan defends his actions.

"And that's why you were more fun." Nik smiles sitting on the chair, the only main light in the room coming to form that lamp. "Just as Damon is probably relishing in Elena's emotionless company in New York," Nik adds with a smirk.

"My brother knows what he's doing,"Stefan argues.

"Does he?" Nik inquires with raised eyebrows. "Don't underestimate the allure of darkness, Stefan. Even the purest hearts are drawn to it." He says raising a finger and glancing at me.

"Just saying I had no choice in who my mate was," I mumble.

"You still would've wanted me, love." HE smirks causing me to roll my eyes. HE only smiles and turns back at Stefan allowing me to continue to look at the shelf. It seemed familiar to me. "Still, I'm sure it will all be fine." And then my eyes lock onto a book and I pick it up. 'Symbolic Figures I The Dark Arts'.

***

I tried to contain my excitement. Currently, I was in 9th grade. I just competed against my freshmen peers so I could get a spot in the science fair, going to present at my dream college. It was the last year that we would ever be doing this. And it usually happens towards the beginning but Ms. Little decided to have us do it as a final instead. Anyway, Whitemore Collage. It was the college that my father went to. A college that would hopefully get my parents to finally care about me. To be proud of me.

I just finished presenting to the teachers. My project was pretty simple. It was on how a person's mind could easily be changed. Like compulsion. Like in those vampire movies. All vampire compulsion works by causing the recipient to be subservient to the specific commands issued to them by the compeller, and that the compeller can only issue any number of commands at any given time. All I had to do was activate certain areas of the human brain to make them more susceptible to following what I wanted.

Afterward, one of the professors approached me and asked me to meet him in his office. His name was professor Shane. So here I was, at the end of the event, I was allowed to freely explore the campus until I wanted to go home. My parents didn't know where I was like they would even notice. It was towards the end of the school year anyway. Sophmore year starting next year,