Chapter 65-Out Running

Caroline and Hayley threw themselves back inside of the Salvatores house. This was it, this was how they were going to save Grace.

Hayley grasped the book in her hands as though it was her lifeline. It wasn't that big of a book, in all honesty, it wasn't much of anything. The book only had a black cover. It was torn around the edges and was clearly aged but other than the pure black cover nothing stood out. Nothing indicated that this, that this book was their savior.

"So what now, Caroline?" Hayley finally speaks up as she closes the door and walks back into the living room where Jane was located.

"TO be honest, I haven't exactly thought this far. I don't even know the spell Grace was talking about when she had that small moment of clarity." Caroline admits looking down briefly before glancing at the witch who was adamantly watching the two.

"What do you mean by 'you haven't thought that far?'" Hayley asks incredulously. They were in too deep now, they really couldn't turn around now. I mean she was still holding the mystery book.

"It means exactly as it sounds. I didn't think I would get this far." Caroline sighs as she moves closer to Jane.

"What did you bring back?" Jane asks.

"A book, well it might be a grimoire," Caroline replies walking up to Hayley and grabbing the book from Hayley's hissing as her hand's touch around the black book. "What the hell?" She shouts out-loud dropping the book.

"What happened?" Jane asks watching Caroline eye the book that was now on the floor.

"I-It just burned me!" Caroline exclaims.

"It's probably spelled making sure vampires don't touch or get even near it. It's powerful, I can feel the power from here." Jane explains walking towards Caroline and bending down picking up the book. Nothing happens to her and she walks back towards the center of the room placing it back down. 

She opened the pages and just stares not saying anything. She looked confused as she stared down at the pages. A crease forming in between her eyebrows.

"Jane? what is it?" Hayley asks slowly approaching the witch who was slowly becoming one of her closest friends.

"There's nothing here." She states staring at the blank pages, flipping through them, getting dust to float in the air.

"What do you mean you can't see anything?" Caroline asks rushing over. "This was where the map leads us." She says looking down and seeing the black book as well.

"I know, but there's nothing here," Jane stresses flipping through the pages at a quicker pace. If she wanted her plan to work, she needed Grace. She needed her back to her 'old self'.

"What are you talking about? I can see the words right there." Hayley points out stopping Jane from flipping the pages further.

"You can?" Caroline asks to match as the she-wolf scans the seemingly empty pages with fascination.

"It must be another spell. They really didn't want anyone to find what was in this book." Hayley mumbled her fingers lightly tracing the elegant penmen ship of the spellbook.

"Well, what does it say?" Caroline pressed getting impatient.

"It's in...Greek?" Hayley says curiously, as though she wasn't exactly sure of the source of the symbols.

"Greek? Are you sure?" Jane asks to lean back on her left foot watching Hayley fiddle with the pages.

"I think, it makes sense, Caroline told me that our family originated in Greece," Hayley mumbled lightly.