Chapter 3: Celeste

"Another extra large margarita for the miss," a voice says beside me. I open my eyes to see a giant bird holding out a margarita to me by its claw, and I gratefully take it.

"Thanks Barry," I say pleasantly. He opens his beak and a shrill sound leaves it, startling me. I look back over at him. "What was that?"

He looks at me, his beak opening with the same shrill sound, making me fall out of my chair into the sand.

I hit the ground, my body jerking and my eyes flew open, waking me up from the weirdest dream I'd ever had. A giant talking bird named Barry, serving me margaritas? I wasn't even sure I wanted to know what that meant. The shrill sound from my dream went off again near my ear, and I realized it was my phone ringing.

I hurried to pick it up, not recognizing the number displayed on the screen, but taking the chance with it anyway.

"Hello?"

"Is this Ms. Celeste Thompson?" A man's voice rang through the phone, sure and strong.

"Uh, yes?"

A small pause. "Well, is that an answer or are you not sure?"

I wanted to smack myself in the head at the humor in his voice. "Yes, this is Celeste Thompson. Can I help you?"

"That's kind of what I was hoping. I'd like to offer you a job." Suspicion filled me and I let his question hang in the silence, waiting for him to continue. "Ah, a real job. Nothing weird."

I snorted into the phone. "Honestly, this whole thing is a little weird already."

"Yeah, sorry. I'm not the best at this. My name is Travis Coffman, and I work at the Whisman offices. I'm looking for a new assistant, and your information was given to me by a mutual... friend."

"Whisman offices?" I asked the question aloud, wondering why it sounded so familiar. "What kind of company is it?"

"We're an art gallery and auction business. We cater to well-known artists from all over as well as local artists just getting started."

"Hmm. And what would my job requirements be?"

"Inventory, event scheduling, keeping my work and personal life schedules in sync, other paperwork-type duties."

I tapped my finger on my leg, contemplating the offer. Hundreds of thoughts swirled through my mind, along with a nagging sense of missing a piece of the puzzle.

My silence must have worried Travis, since he spoke up before I could say anything. "I'd like to offer the position starting at twenty-three dollars an hour. It would be a Monday through Friday job, with some weekend and night events. Any events outside of normal work hours would be time and a half."

My jaw dropped in amazement. A steady full-time job, that paid fairly well with seemingly good benefits, that would help me lessen my hours at the phone sex job without taking a hit financially? I'd probably have to still do some time on the phone since I had so many bills and debt to get rid of, but with this job I'd be able to start actually enjoying my life.

"Would it be unprofessional of me to accept the job right away?" I asked the question half-seriously, and was relieved to hear him chuckle.

"Not at all. My current assistant will be leaving at the end of this week, so if you'd like to get started tomorrow I can have her train you on the more complicated stuff before she takes off for new adventures."

"Then I would like to accept."

"Perfect! Give me your email address, and I will send some paperwork and more information about the company and position so you're well prepared for tomorrow."