Chapter 9: Liam

"Well? Did she like the dress?"

"I don't know Mom, she wasn't home so I just dropped it off." I scrubbed my hand over my face, glad that I was just talking to her over the phone instead of in person.

I'd asked her for help on picking out a dress for Celeste so that she'd be able to go to the fundraiser. In Travis's office I could see that she wanted to go, but something was keeping her from it. Knowing her financial position, I'd assumed it was something to do with not having anything to wear. At least, that's what I was hoping it was, because that was something I could fix.

I'd stared at her enough to be able to guess at her size, and I talked to my mom about finding the dress itself. She delighted in fashion so I knew that was something I could trust her with. I didn't even know what the dress looked like since it came to me in the box already. I'd stopped by the old house, where my mom said she was living now, to give it to her.

After not getting a response from ringing the doorbell, I'd left the box for her on the porch swing, covered so that passerby wouldn't see it but she would once she got to the door. I was hoping she'd found it, and I was anxious to see her at the event. I hadn't left my name on the note, worried that it would keep her from accepting the gift and the invitation. It's not like we had bad blood between us, but it was a tad bit awkward with all the history between us.

Fuck, now that I think about it, there's not even that much history to go on. I was barely in the house for a month after our parents got married, and I rarely saw them after I moved out. Maybe it just feels like there's so much between us because of what I saw before I left, and because of how fucking bad I want her now. I can barely think when I'm around her because all I want to do is bend her over the nearest flat surface and make her come around my cock. Even thinking about the fact that she was once my sister doesn't stop the dirty thoughts parading around in my mind, making my dick harden even now.

No, it just makes you that much harder, my brain helpfully adds. I groan out loud, knowing how fucked up that is.

"What's the matter honey?" My mom's voice jolts me back from my thoughts, reminding me I'm still on the phone with her.

"Uh, nothing. I'm just tired from putting this event together," I quickly lie. "Speaking of which, I have to go get ready."

"What? How long does it take you to get ready? It's like four hours away!"

"Bye, Mom." I hang up before she can start protesting again. I'm well aware it won't take me that long to get ready, but if I was planning on going to be able to keep a clear head, then I needed to get rid of the hard on currently tenting my sweats.

I was feeling what could only be described as disappointment. It was about two hours into the event, and I hadn't caught even a glimpse of Celeste. My nerves were shot by this point. I'd been distracted all night from trying to watch people come in, hoping every new person was her. I'm sure my inattentiveness was obvious, but I didn't give a shit. My disappointment was becoming annoyance with every passing second; and each glass of whiskey I downed probably wasn't helping.

-----

"Dude, are you okay?" Travis came up beside me with a pleasant smile on his face; one that only someone close to him would realize was strained.

I ran my hand through my hair for the millionth time. "Yeah I just... I thought Celeste was going to show up."

He took a drink from his glass, raising an eyebrow and studying me. "I thought she was going to just stay home tonight."

"Ah yes. Well..." I trailed off, trying to decide how much to say.

"Look Liam, I've known you for years now. I've never seen you like this, not over a woman at least."

"Like what?" I growled the words out, taking another glance around the room. Nothing still.

"Obsessed. Attentive. I see the way you watch her whenever she's in the room."

I could feel myself get red and I turned to him fully. "Is it that bad?"

He chuckled in sympathy. "You've seen me at my worst. Remember Tania?"

A grin split my lips for the first time tonight. "The Disney girl? How could I forget?"

"Damn, you still call her that? She only dressed up as Esmeralda for Halloween once, man."

"Yeah, but it was liked they'd designed the character after her it was so spot-on."

"Can we move on? I'm just trying to prove a point."

"That I've totally lost my mind over Celeste? Yeah right."

"Oh really? Then you wouldn't want to break the hand of any other man that touched her, especially when she looks like that?" He pointed over my shoulder and I whipped around so fucking fast I could hear the wind whistle in my ears.

My eyes went straight to Celeste who had just walked in, wearing a dress that made it impossible not to stare. Before I realized it, I was already striding towards her. I barely registered Travis's laugh behind me as I left him in the dust.

I was just a couple feet away from her when she turned her face up to mine, and my heart stuttered somewhere in the middle of my chest. Her eyes were bright, perfectly matching the lace on the dress. The parts that weren't covered in lace were in a nude color, making it seem like the only thing she had on was that lace. Instantly, I had a vision of me ripping that dress right off her and tasting every inch she was teasing me with. My cock hardened in my pants, and I was grateful for the longer jacket I had on that hid it.

I stopped right in front of her, hands itching to touch the exposed skin that wisps of her pale blonde hair were brushing. She had it pinned up and the animal in me wanted to watch it tumble down while I fucked her up against a wall.

Celeste cleared her throat, breaking the silence between us. "Hi, Liam."

"Celeste. You look incredible." I loved the way her cheeks flushed at the compliment, a pleased smile on her face.

"Thank you. I'm going to have to find Travis so I can thank him for it."

"He didn't get it for you." My words were rougher than I intended, but I couldn't stop the fierceness from coming out.

Her eyes widened a fraction. "Did you... This was you?"

I nodded, not trusting my words. "I saw how badly you wanted to come when we were talking in Travis's office. I was hoping that with the right motivation, you would still show up. Even if it was a couple hours late."

She laughed nervously. "I wasn't sure if I should come. Madison helped me decide."

"Well thank god for Madison." She flushed deeper at my words. I held back a groan and offered a hand to her. "Would you like to dance?"

She eyed my hand warily. "I probably shouldn't."

"Why?" She looked back up at me and I felt that same tension I always felt between us at moments like this ratchet up. When i spoke again, my words came out deep and sure. "C'mon Celeste. Dance with me."

She placed her hand in mine and I led the way to the dance floor, turning and pulling her into my arms when I got there. As she pressed against me, I knew without a doubt that my thread of control was not only going to snap, it was going to disintegrate.

My conversation with Travis from earlier came into my mind. Had I lost my mind over this woman? I slid my hand lower on her back as we moved into a turn, and the way she drew a sharp breath as our bodies molded to each other told me she was as affected as I was. I felt the need for her, the need to taste her skin from her lips to her feet, flood me.

Goddamn Travis was right. I was a goner and I'd barely even touched her.