Chapter 21: Celeste

After mine and Liam's simple midnight apologies, I was feeling much better. I knew he'd only been trying to encourage me, but the thought of displaying my art for everyone to see freaked me the hell out. I put my heart and soul into those things, and I just wasn't ready for everyone to see inside me like that. The art world could be cruel, and I didn't think I could handle the rejection.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of telling Madison about what happened, and now she was telling me the exact same thing Liam had.

"Seriously Celeste, I've seen some of your stuff. other than your dad, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who has. Have you even shown them to Liam?"

I shook my head, and then remembered that we were on the phone so she couldn't see me.

"No, I haven't."

A screech sounded, and I jerked in pain as it blasted my eardrum through my Bluetooth earpiece. I was in the store room at work sorting through the art for the show tomorrow.

"Celeste! You have to let people see your art. See you if you want to be successful in this world. And don't tell me that's not what you want- you've been talking about it for years. Well, at least until your dad got sick. You might have shelved that dream to take care of him and all the bills that followed, but it doesn't need to keep collecting dust."

"First off all, never scream into the phone like that again, you nearly broke my ear ball."

"Ear ball is not a thing," she interrupted.

"Yes, it is. And second of all, I barely have any real training or experience. My art is just... me."

"Celeste," Madison said in a sympathetic voice, "that's exactly what art is. It's pieces of the artist laid out for everyone to see. It's personal, it's passion, it's heartache and love and a myriad of other things. Training is not necessary. You know that! Some of your favorite artists are self-taught. So why should you be different?"

I stopped what I was doing, taking in her words. She was right, but it didn't make me feel any more comfortable with the idea. Someday I'd get my stuff out there, but I just didn't feel ready for that step yet. I knew she'd badger me about this until I gave in, so I changed the subject.

"So how about those Red Sox?"

I grinned at Madison's laughter. "Smooth Celeste. You don't even pay attention to baseball."

"Maybe it's something new I'm a fan of."

"If that were true, you'd know that the Red Sox season is over already."

"Damn," I whispered.

"But if you want to change the subject, we could talk about how it's going with Liam."

"Or we could definitely not."

"Ooh, that bad huh?"

"Actually, it's not too bad. We're progressing even if a bit slowly for my taste, but we're getting along well."

"What are you going to do now that your house is almost habitable?"

The one thing I'd been trying to avoid thinking about. In fact, the house was supposed to be ready to go back to today. I just didn't want to go back. Back to a quiet house and lonely bed. Even going back to my separate room at Liam's house last night had been so hard for me to do, and that was when I was angry. What was it going to feel like when I was in a completely different house?

"I don't think I'm going to tell him yet. I will eventually, but I want a little more time with him." We both feel quiet, and that's when I realized something. "Hey! I thought I said I didn't want to talk about Liam. Bitch."

"Well then I guess you better come up with a better topic, or I'll keep bugging you about it."

"In that case, I guess it's only fair for me to check in on how you and Luke are doing."

"Well, since he's away for the next few months, we've decided to use it as an opportunity to bond in a different way. Kind of treating it like a long-distance thing, using Skype and the phone to get to know each other again."

"Oh, that's a good idea. Is it hard?"

"I... don't know? We've been a little distant anyway, so it's kind of awkward. We've known each other for years, for as long as I can remember, but we both feel so different that it's like I don't actually know him at all."

"I can't imagine what that's like."

"I wish I never knew."

The sadness in her voice was palpable. I hurt for my best friend, but there was nothing I could do to help. "Well I hope that it helps, this plan of yours."

"Me too." Quiet fell between us once again, but only for a few seconds. When Madison spoke again, it was with a fake, bright voice. "Now, tell me, what are you wearing to the event?"

I went into detail about the outfit I'd gotten yesterday after leaving work early, but my thoughts lingered on her words about my paintings. Was it a mistake to say no? Was I coward for not wanting anyone to see?

After saying farewell to Madison, I hurried to gather all the remaining pieces for the exhibit and carted them to the hall where we'd be displaying them. When I got there Travis was already moving stuff around so I jumped right in. We worked in silence, only speaking when I had a small question and he had an answer. Everything was labeled so it was easy to do.

"Did Leonora have some more stuff ready then?" I saw a couple of empty spots saved with her name on sticky notes when Travis and I had set everything up.

"She did, and seemed very excited to contribute some more."

The comment hit me square in the chest and I glanced over at Travis, wondering if Liam had told him about me. His face was clear and I didn't see anything in his gaze to suggest he knew so I relaxed. I looked over at another wall that was bare, leaving room for several large paintings.

"What's going over there?"

"Liam was able to get someone to contribute their art. I don't know who," he said before I could ask. "He said they wished to remain anonymous. So we are honoring that I suppose. He said they were exceptional pieces, and that it would be worth it to show them."

Hmm. "Alright then. So that's it for today?"

"Yep. You are free to go. See you in the morning for the final touches!"

"Have a good night, Travis!"

I left the office, excited to get home and start dinner. I loved watching Liam enjoy the food I cooked. Even if I made something simple, he ate it voraciously and looked at me like I was a miracle. I could imagine any woman would do whatever they could to get that kind of look from someone as gorgeous as Liam.

That, and he usually thanked me with an orgasm or two afterwards. I grinned wickedly to myself at that thought, my body already beginning to throb with excitement. I wasn't going to think about the fact that my house was probably done and I'd been unable to think of a realistic reason to stay with Liam anymore. Instead, I was going to steal as much extra time with him as possible.