Chapter 16: Celeste

I groaned and squinted my eyes shut, pouring myself another cup of coffee. Yes it was like 4 pm, but with a bitch of a hangover like the one I had, it was necessary. Madison had woken up around noon with barely any aftereffects, per usual. I had no idea how she did it. Although it might have something to do with the whole puking-her-guts-out-before-bed thing.

Thankfully, she'd gone around and shut all the blinds in my house and started some coffee before she took off. If it hadn't been for the darkness and the tantalizing smell, I probably never would've gotten out of bed. I'd already refilled the coffee once, and I'd just taken some ibuprofen to get rid of the last of my headache.

A knock sounded on my door just as I took a sip of freshly brewed beans, surprising me and making me take too big of a drink. I cursed as the hot liquid burned my tongue, making my way towards the door. Peeking through the hole, I was shocked to see Liam standing at my door, a balloon in his hand.

Stepping back from the door in horror, I quickly glanced down at myself, and then up at the mirror on the wall next to me. My hair was a greasy, tangled mess, my makeup was still crusted around my eyes, and I was wearing a stained and ratty t-shirt accompanied by men's boxer shorts with "Pussy Wagon" written on the ass that Anthony had bought me as a joke from some online store.

"Celeste, I know you're in there. I heard you swear."

I cringed, realizing that I'd spoken way too loudly when I'd burned my tongue a minute ago. "Go away, I'm not fit for company."

"I'm not company. I'm your brother; let me in."

I flushed at his words and couldn't help but open the door a crack just to glare at him.

"Step-brother. Ex. Now leave me alone." Before I could slam the door shut Liam pushed his way into my house, nearly losing the balloon he was holding in the process.

"You should know by now that I always get what I want," he said in a light tone that for some reason had me blushing all over again.

He didn't mean like that, I mentally scolded my perked nipples.

We stood facing each other, and I wanted to smack the little smirk off his handsome face when he took me in.

"Looking good, sis."

"Shut. up." I looked up to the balloon, noticing the "Get Well!" and my annoyance faltered a bit. "Is that... for me?"

His eyes followed the direction of my pointing finger, and I could swear I saw him blush a little. "Uh, yeah. Travis told me you called in sick, so I thought I might come by to cheer you up a bit."

A weird silence fell between us, neither one of us sure what to do about the gesture. I cleared my throat awkwardly, stepping forward to take it from him.

"Well, thank you Liam. I appreciate the thought."

He placed the ribbon in my hand, and then took a few loud, curious sniffs. "Why do you smell like week-old tequila and wine?"

I stepped past him quickly to hide the guilt. I could feel him following behind me, and I had never been so grateful that Madison had cleaned up before leaving. I didn't need Liam to know that the reason I'd called in was because I'd been completely wasted at 3 am. Despite having a good reason, it wouldn't look good for my job to have called in because of a hangover.

"Celeste?" Liam put his hands on my shoulders and turned me around to face him. I kept my face down, not wanting to admit anything. "Are you... Should I be concerned about your drinking?"

My head shot up to finally look at him, and I burst into laughter at the worry on his face. He thought I was a drunk!

"Oh my god, no Liam. I'm not an alcoholic. Despite the current evidence. I was comforting a friend last night, and we got a little carried away is all." I'd take that confession over him thinking I needed rehab!