Chapter 12: Liam

Unsurprisingly, things between Celeste and me were fairly awkward- more so than usual. Going back into the office on Monday, I'd been fully prepared to hear some kind of lecture from her, but I should've known that wasn't her style. Instead, I got zero eye contact and plenty of blushing. She ran out of the room every time I entered it, mumbling some kind of excuse for her exit.

It was Thursday now, and I was at my breaking point. I couldn't take much more of this, and all my attempts to corner her to clear the air were thwarted in some way. I knew I was going to have to resort to a more underhanded tactic. I was sitting in my office, listening to Celeste and Noelle chatting just outside my closed office door when the idea hit me. I picked up my phone and dialed Travis's extension.

"What up man?"

"I need a favor."

I heard him move around, and his voice changed a bit in reaction to my own hurried one. "Sure, anything."

"I need you to borrow Noelle, take her out of the office for something."

There was a pause on his end. "Take her out of the office for what, exactly?"

"I don't care, make something up if you have to. I just need you to take her, and ask Celeste to help me out for the rest of the day."

"Okay..." He drew out the word, obvious confusion in the word.

I scrubbed my hand over my face in frustration, not wanting to explain to him what was going on. I didn't want to embarrass Celeste, and I figured that having her boss know she'd been kissing the other boss would mortify her. I blew out a breath, knowing I'd have to give my best friend something.

"I was a fucking idiot, and I need to get Celeste alone to apologize but she's been avoiding me. This is a last resort."

I heard him try to cover up a snort of laughter.

"Laugh it up asshole, you still have to figure out what you're going to do with Noelle."

He sobered up quickly, and something about the silence was charged. Suspicion tickled at the back of my brain, but I had more to worry about than whatever was going on between my assistant and my best friend.

"Yeah yeah, just give me a minute."

"Thanks, seriously. I owe you one," I said with relief. I heard him mumbling something but I didn't stay on the line to try and figure it out. I waited in my office, tapping my fingers on my desk in impatience. Now that I knew I was close to my goal, I was more impatient that before. I sat up straight in my chair and perked my ears when I heard Travis's voice just beyond my door.

"Ladies! You're both looking lovely today."

"Cut it smart guy, what do you want?" Noelle was a sassy one, and I'd been dealing with her underhanded remarks all week. I'd been afraid that Celeste had spilled the beans, but I knew that if she had told Noelle I'd be getting a lot more than odd looks and snarky comments. Obviously she knew I'd done something to upset Celeste, who she'd apparently taken to right away, and she wasn't afraid to let me know.

"Down kitty, you can put your claws away. I need your help to go look at a new artist today."

I grinned to myself, knowing I'd be getting Travis a giant gift for this one. He hated going to see new artists, thought they were crazy even though the art was amazing. Noelle on the other hand, adored the process.

As in, she took hours talking to the artist and their works. That was one reason we'd hired her- her incredible passion for art and the people that created it. I usually went with her though, and I was sure that she knew something was up.