Chapter 14: Liam

Thoughts of Celeste plagued me all weekend. I'd reached out to Cassie to try and get Celeste off my mind, but she'd been unwell. I wasn't upset about that at all, just disappointed. Something about talking to Cassie soothed me, almost in the same way that being around Celeste did. In fact, now that I was comparing them, I realized they were very similar. I leaned back in my chair at my work desk, contemplating their similarities.

They were both very sweet. Surprisingly dirty. My brain zinged through a multitude of others, and my skin began to prickle with an awareness I'd been too blind to acknowledge.

"Hey Liam? I was looking for Noelle, but I can't find her anywhere." Celeste's voice interrupted my revelation, and I smoothed my features as she lightly knocked on my open door and stepped inside my office.

I looked her up and down, taking in the way her dress perfectly hugged her curves, the small flare of fabric at her hips emphasizing the cinch of her waist while the pale peach color made it look like her skin was glowing. I swallowed hard, barely registering that she'd asked me something. She cleared her throat and that was enough to get my thoughts out of the gutter.

"Oh, uh right. Noelle. She had to leave for a family thing."

"Like an emergency? Is she okay?" She was obviously worried, and I was glad to know that they'd built a bond of sorts even in the few weeks that she'd been here.

"Yeah, it's her niece's graduation ceremony. No need to worry."

"Oh, thank god. Okay, well sorry to bother you."

I stood from my desk quickly, calling out her name. "Wait, what did you need her for?"

She'd turned, smiling neutrally. "I was just going to see if she wanted to go to lunch with me today."

"I'll take you." The words surprised us both; despite all the attraction between us and the situations we'd gotten each other into, we'd never actually just... hung out.

"You don't have to do that," she hedged.

"I know. I want to. Maybe we can actually catch up a bit," I said with a note of humor in my voice. A small snort of laughter escaped her, and unspoken words hung between us that we both ignored. I followed her out of my office and escorted her out to my car in the parking garage. She murmured a thank you when I held the door open for her, and I took in the peek of her thighs as her skirt rode up when she sat down. Determined to keep this on the right side of friendly, I tore my eyes away.

Driving away from the office, the quiet between us was thick but not uncomfortable. She cleared her throat and I glanced at her, noticing a flush on her cheeks and her hands tightly clasped in her lap. My brow furrowed, and I wondered if she was merely pretending to be okay.

On instinct, I reached over and placed my hand on top of hers, a shock running through me at her touch. I heard her quick intake of breath, and I wondered if she felt the same thing.

"Are you okay Celeste? If you're uncomfortable, we can go back to the office and go our separate ways. I wasn't trying to force you into anything with my invitation."

"Oh, no it's nothing like that Liam." She paused, then took a deep breath like she was fortifying herself for what she was going to say next. "It's a little weird, to be honest. We barely know each other even though our parents were married, and then we..."

I bit my lip to keep back the groan at the look on her face as we caught each other's eyes for a split second. She was blushing furiously at the memory, but her eyes were full of need and want that she couldn't get rid of. My cock was already starting to perk up, loving the direction of this conversation. I knew I had to steer it a different way before we got ourselves into trouble- again.