nineteen

When I woke up the next morning it was 7:45am

When I woke up the next morning it was 7:45am. Through the night I had woke up twice, once when I heard muffled yelling and then when a scream broke my eardrums.

Multiple times I had thought about going back downstairs to see what had happened but I didn't want to see Reuben again, nor Alexi. It was probable they were loudly discussing how to get rid of me and then testing how much noise I would make when they threw me into the ocean to drown or something.

But eventually I came to the conclusion I had to see them. I had a quick shower, brushed my teeth and got dressed into a hoodie and leggings. When I opened the door and looked round to see if there was a stray brother lurking, I realised the air in the house was tense.

You could have heard a pin drop. But when I reached the kitchen I heard the distinct clattering of cutlery and loud slurping most likely from Wyatt.

Taking a big breath of air, I stuck my head around the corner only for my eyes to widen and my breathing to momentarily constrict. What in hell was this. Two more unknown men sat at the table. When I first saw my brothers I thought Reuben was scary but now I realise he was merely a puppy in comparison to one of the men.

Shaking my head silently, I turned back around and began to head upstairs again.

"Victoria." Fuck sake.

I entered the room fully, purposely not looking at the unknown men when my eyes latched onto Reuben who had an oddly shaped jaw today and permanent scowl which seemed to be causing him pain.

Against my better judgement I walked over to him with a sad expression," what happened?" I asked.

"Damon had his fun-" Wyatt chirped happily only to be hushed with a slap upside the head by Creed.

I didn't say anything but a shocked expression rested on my face. Why would- how would-. The thought that the yelling I heard was about me came to mind but I quickly dismissed it. Maybe they had an argument between themselves about something entirely different.

"Victoria this is Vladimir and Nikolai Ivanov." Alexi spoke quickly and quietly as if not to set someone off.

I thought for a second before looking between them and Joziah," Ivanov as in brothers-" I questioned.

"Yes." The younger looking one answered.

"That's Vladimir, he's 22 and I'm Nikolai, 18." He said with a small and kind smile.

Along with overthinking, I pieced a lot of things together. I just didn't word them correctly.

"Hold on. Wyatt said there was big event happening, Joziah popped up out of nowhere with his asshole of a father and then there's two scary men. Reuben's jaw looks broken, holy shit what's happening-" I began rambling on about events I hadn't placed in order.

"You're not thinking what I'm thinking you're thinking, right?" Wyatt questioned, pointing between us both.

"What are you thinking?" I asked.

"That you think this event is an arranged," we locked eyes at that moment...and he began laughing hysterically.

"What is it?" Adrian questioned, still in a hushed whisper while Wyatt looked like he had lost the plot.

"She- she thinks we set her up with- with Joziah." Wyatt breathes out, continuing to laugh like it was his last chance.

Immediately all heads turned to me, amused expressions on each of their faces while my cheeks heated up in embarrassment.

"No. Er, Victoria in our line of work it's...dangerous. So we needed someone who had the capability to protect you when you are at school and when we aren't around." Alexi explains slowly, as if it would take me a while to grasp it.

"O- oh." I breathe out.

"So he's just, like, a-."

"Bodyguard." Alexi finishes.

I nod silently, not daring to look at Joziah.

"Well then," I clasp my hands together," let me just go back to bed and die of embarrassment." I smile at them all.

I start to walk out of the room, "wait."

At this new voice I almost jump five feet in the air but mask it with a small jump and spin.

The only one who hadn't spoke, the one I guessed was Vladimir. He had jet black hair and tattoos probably everywhere. Most likely more than Reuben from what I could see.

"I- uh yes." I answer.

"Can I talk to you?" He asks, his voice was deep but surprisingly reassuring.

"And why do you need to speak with her?" Damon asks. He didn't look as fazed by Vladimir as the rest of my brothers but fear was still prominent in the way his voice cracked.

"Terms of our agreement." Vladimir replies, not looking toward Damon once.

"Don't mind Damon, Victoria, please speak with him in the living room." Alexi quickly says. That bastard threw me under the bus, making me talk with the scariest guy I had ever laid my eyes upon.

Vladimir stands up, pushing his chair back and walks toward me. I guessed he was about six foot four. He doesn't wait for me and I have to do a full on jog to keep up with him.

Once we get to the living room he gestures for me to sit on the couch like it was his own house and I was the guest. But today was not the day to mess with a six foot four, built, tattooed man. Then again I didn't think any day was.

I sit down on the couch and he takes a seat on the coffee table in front of me, clasping his hands together.

The realisation that he could snap me with his pinky finger set in and I didn't meet his eyes.

"What are you so afraid of?" He questions, more to himself than me.

"What did your brother do to get his jaw broken?" He asks a question I think I can answer. I open my mouth to speak but stop myself.

"Whatever you're thinking is probably right. Your brothers, especially Damon, care more about you than you think." He states.

I think it all over for a second before replying,"Last night, something happened at an event we went to. Reuben was questioning me about it and I guess he just got too carried away. He reminded me of someone."

A tense silence fills the room and I keep but sight on the now interesting floorboards.

"Did he hurt you?" Vladimir asks, anger and concern lacing his voice.

"Reuben? No." I answer quickly.

"Good. Who did?" He questions further.

At this, I look up, not expecting to immediately lock eyes with him. He didn't let anything on but for some reason, I found it easier to tell him rather than when I first told Alexi.

"My father."
_______________________________________