twenty three

I took a deep, reassuring breath as I walked up to Colt, Grace said it would be best to tell him

"Hey Colt." I smiled politely. He returned it equally and I automatically felt bad for letting him down.

Before I have the chance to say the right words, he beats me to it with, "Vic, I was wondering if you would like like to go to the dance tomorrow with me?"

I instantly look down at the floor, not wanting to see his beaming smile that was preventing me from going further with my explanation. But I knew I had to.

"Colt, you're one of the first friends I made and I value our friendship so so much, but, I don't think of you that way." I explain slowly, watching as his smile contorts into a frown.

I wait for his reply but he just looks at me with a scowl before walking past and bumping into my shoulder relatively hard.

I stumble back a bit but catch my footing mere centimetres from going headfirst into someone's lasagna. I apologise profusely before getting my food and sitting down next to my brothers, Nikolai and Joziah.

"What the fuck was that?" Damon whispers in a low, threatening tone but I don't meet his eyes,"Why did that bastard almost push you over?" He questions.

I stick a piece of pasta into my mouth and swallow it before deciding it best to answer him, "He asked me to the mid year dance tomorrow, I said no."

"As you should." he scoffs and I can't help but laugh a little.

■■■

The rest of the school day passed by in a blur after the small disagreement with Colt but other than it was a good day. Grace and Kai would be meeting me there along with Rowan tomorrow.

I had sixteen hours to find someone to go with before school started again and if I still hadn't found anyone by then I had two hours tomorrow to do so since I was coming home first to get ready.

Since I didn't want to be going alone I plucked up every amount of courage I had and walked over to Joziah who was sitting with Wyatt on the living room couch.

"Joziah?" He looked up at me," I was wondering since I don't have anyone to go with tomorrow-" I began but he cut me off with a sad smile.

"I'm already going with someone, sorry Victoria." He said, standing up. I looked at his retreating figure in shock.

Wyatt took that as his chance to burst out laughing. I looked at him disapprovingly.

"You just- he really said no Vic." Wyatt continued laughing at my social humiliation.

On my way out of the room I kicked his shin causing him to mutter a round of profanities at me. I walked into the kitchen and stood by the door with my arms crossed, deep in thought.