Chapter 19

I was walking along the seafront when I saw him. His ice blonde hair stood out like a sore thumb as he leaned over the railings that overlooked the crowded beaches. "Draco Malfoy, what on earth are you doing in Brighton."

"It's busy here, muggle land", he said as we sat down at the table at a small cafe.

"How did you even get here?"

"Apparated. I can't stay long, told mother and father I was studying, they actually believed it."

"You know how to apparate?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"I took the test a week ago, father knows people at the ministry who allowed me to do it early. Passed first time obviously."

A waitress approached the table and I ordered a tea, when she got to Draco he sat there clueless, so I rolled my eyes and said "he'll have a tea too."

"I take it I can't pay in galleons" he said.

"You're lucky I've got money on me, have you really never spent time around muggles?"

He scoffed. "Obviously. Although they're not as awful as I've been told."

"Why are you even here?"

"I wanted to check you were ok."

"Really?"

"Really."

Our teas came over and Draco copied me as I added milk and sugar. "Why isn't it ready made for you like it usually is?" He asked.

"Because muggles don't know how to do that, they overcomplicate everything."

"So you've lived here all your life?"

"Sure have."

"It's nice. I like the sea, I've never seen it before."

"I get bored of it sometimes, but it's great for if you need to clear your head."

"You're worried about him aren't you." His eyes met mine, and it was almost like he could read my mind. I nodded.

"He's only written to me twice this summer, he's with the Dursley's so obviously can't write much but I can't help but think something's wrong."

"I've heard them talking. About how they don't think Dumbledore is fit to run Hogwarts anymore, but really I just think that's a decoy, they just want him out so they can take over."

"It's really not going to be the same this year is it?" I said sadly.

"Nope. I hope you know what you've gotten yourself into being with Potter."

"I'm well aware, he's not the only one who has something to fight for you know."

It was silent for a moment until Draco asked "do you love him?"

"....yes."

"You hesitated."

"I did not"

"Whatever you say Greenwood."

"Why do you care?"

"Because believe it or not I actually care about your welfare, unlike Potter who only seems to care about the dark lord."

"You don't know anything about him." I glared at Draco and he put it his hands up.

"Ok ok whatever, just saying."

We soon left the cafe and walked along the pier, Draco was sweating in his black suit, it was the middle of August after all, and ended up taking the jacket off, rolling up his sleeves to expose his muscular arms, which I couldn't help but stare at. Once we were well out to sea he leaned against the railing and looked out at the world around us. The wind whipped his hair and he looked the most peaceful I've ever seen him.

"Stop staring Greenwood." He said, not looking at me. "What's your middle name?" He then asked.

"What?"

"What's your middle name?"

"Belle, why?"

"Belle, means beautiful in French, makes sense" he said to himself. "That's what I'm going to call you from now on, Belle."

"If we're calling each other by our middle names I won't be calling you Lucius anytime soon" I said and we both laughed.

Draco looked at me. "I have to go soon, will you write to me? Believe it or not I don't have that many friends and it's boring in that house"

"Sure Draco, I'll write to you."

"Thanks Belle." He sighed.

"What?"

"I guess it would just be easier if I hated you."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it's not like we're on the same sides right now is it? One day you'll turn against me like everyone else does and I'll have lost you."

"Draco, you're not going to lose me."

"Promise?"

"Promise."