Chapter 52

"So? How was it?" Draco asked as soon as we walked out of the house.

"Oh it was a waste of time really, nothing interesting."

"You ok? You seem on edge." He placed his hand on the small of my back and all I could do was shrug.

"Just got myself worked up for nothing."

Draco soon left me alone to help the others with putting the tent up for the wedding and I went to find my mother. I found her standing in the cosy living room of the burrow facing one of the many moving photos that were on the walls, her back to me.

"I vowed I would never be a part of this world again you know", she said as she heard me approach her.

"Because of what happened with dad?"

"I hated them for what they did to him. To kill him was one thing, but to do what they did to him for two years, that was worse. I vowed the day he died that neither you or me would be part of this world. It's only because of the ministry telling me that you had to learn magic because it was in your blood that I ever let you learn anything."

"So you would have had me be a muggle forever? And know nothing about this?" I grew angrier and angrier every second that I looked at her, my blood boiling.

"Calm down Victoria. Everything I've ever done for you was to keep you safe. But you've proved to me that you're capable of doing that on your own. You're just like him, my determined little Gryffindor girl."

"I just wish you told me about him sooner, instead of having to find it all out on my own."

"I know, and I'm sorry. It was just painful for me to relive that night when Remus told me that Benjamin was missing, and you were only a baby, a baby who would never know her father. My whole world had collapsed in that second. You're all I have left of him." Tears were running down her cheeks now, and I grabbed her hand.

"I love you mum."

"I love you, my little Victoria."

"I'm glad it was Remus and Sirius who told you, Remus is your godfather after all. The boys made a pact when they were at school. Sirius would be Harry's godfather, and Remus would be yours."

I heard footsteps from behind me and turned to see Harry.

"I'll go, I need to get ready for the wedding anyway." My mother left, leaving me and Harry alone.

"So, most powerful wizard in the world eh? How does it feel?"

"Like the weight of the world is on my shoulders." I slumped down into the cosy sofa and Harry joined me.

"I would have done the same thing you know."

"What?"

"Pushed him. If I saw the person I loved struggling to do something that would get them killed if they didn't do it, I would have done it too."

"Love is weird." I let out a sigh.

"You're telling me. Makes you do crazy things. Like cast a spell that's not even legal and accidentally almost kill the person that you hate even know you know the person you love would then hate you."

I turned to face him. "We've been through a lot haven't we?"

"Too much. And it's not even over yet."

"Let's just enjoy this wedding shall we? Or attempt to."

"Good plan Tori. I'm glad you brought Malfoy by the way. I think I owe him an apology."

"Excuse me? Harry Potter apologising to Draco Malfoy? This is unheard of!!"

"I almost killed him without meaning to......and he kept you safe. I'm glad you have him, he's a git but you can see how much he loves you."

"Thanks Harry." I quickly kiss his cheek before heading upstairs to Ginny's room where a dress was waiting for me. It was long and black, with a halter neck. I didn't even need to wonder who it was from, I was used to Draco getting me new outfits all the time. I slipped it on and let my long blonde hair flow down my back and headed down the stairs where Draco was waiting. He looked up when he saw me coming down and his eyes scanned every inch of my body, biting his lip softly.

"You really need to stop buying me clothes" I said, with a smile on my face.

"Then stop looking so good in them."

He had switched up his black shirt for a white one, and he smelt strongly of his cologne, a scent that I was used to and loved more than anything in the world.

The wedding was beautiful. Molly spent most of the time crying and I even saw my mother wiping away tears at one point. Fred caught my eye and gagged at me, I gladly returned the gesture, Draco's hand intertwined with mine the entire time.

The celebrations after the ceremony was the best part. Music was blaring as we danced without a care in the world, every single one of us letting go of the tension that was surrounding the wizarding world, everyone trying to forget for just one night that we happened to be in the middle of a war.

"Come on you, I want a dance", Draco pulled me away from Hermione and Ginny, who I had been attempting to teach a muggle dance to, when a slow song came on.

He pulled me close to him, wrapping his hand around my waist. I nestled my head in the crook of his neck, closing my eyes as flashbacks of the Yule Ball all those years ago flooded into my mind, the first time Draco and I danced together.

"I cant wait for us to get married one day" Draco suddenly said, and I looked up at him.

"You've thought about it?"

"Every single day since I met you. I'd marry you in a heartbeat, but I want to do it properly, when this is all over. I don't want to drag you into my messy life when this is all going on."

I paused for a moment. Draco's eyes met mine, scanning my face for a reaction.

"Victoria Belle Malfoy. I like it." He laughed and leant down, pressing a kiss to my lips as we swayed gently to the music.

That's when we saw the flash of light.