Chapter 53

"They are coming." The words rang though the tent as everyone looked around at each other, some drawing their wands, some just standing frozen in shock. I stood, my hand holding Draco's tightly, the other on the elder wand that was tucked into my dress. I couldn't let Voldemort know I had it, but if it came down to exposing myself to save everyone at this tent, I was prepared to do it.

That's when they descended onto the tent. Within seconds it went from calm to chaos. People were disapparating left right and centre, others were fighting the death eaters that were now in the tent. Lupin seized Draco and put a cloak over him, concealing his face from the death eaters who would recognise him at once. Letting go of him, I pulled out my ordinary wand and began to fire spells at the death eaters, ducking behind a table to dodge the killing curse that was finding its way to me. I could hear Harry's voice, then all of a sudden it was gone. He had disapparated with Ron and Hermione, leaving the other members of the order, and Draco, fighting the enemies. I looked over at Draco, who's cloak had now fallen, exposing the now unmistakable ice blonde hair. A flash of green light was seen and before I knew it I was in front of the boy I loved, blocking the spell with the elder wand. The death eater that fired the spell quickly disapparated, and Lupin shouted at us to go so I grabbed Draco and we ran, as fast as our legs would take us away from the tent and around the back of the burrow.

Breathing heavily against the wall of the building Draco said "when we're you going to tell me you had THAT", pointing at the wand in my hand.

"Draco, please I would have told you if I knew you wouldn't be at risk."

"H-how do you have it?"

"That night, I disarmed Dumbledore, remember?"

"I don't really remember much, apart from being a total coward. So you disarmed him, so the wand is now....yours?"

"Pretty much sums it up."

"And now they've seen you have it...."

"I'll be hunted down faster than you can say Quidditch."

"No."

I looked at him. His face was flushed from running but his eyes were filled with determination, something I'd seen frequently whenever he protected me.

"No?"

"You're not going to be hunted down because you're going to go to a safe place."

"Where?"

"You know where."

"Draco, I can't, I can't go back to that school. You promised we didn't have to go back."

"In all fairness you didn't have the most powerful wand in the world back then."

My eyes swam with tears. "Please don't make me go."

Draco grabbed both of my hands, and his eyes met mine. "Listen to me Belle. You're going to go back to Hogwarts. You're going to graduate and you're going to become the best potions Professor that school has ever seen. You'll be safe there, you know you will."

"And you?"

His face fell. "I'm- I'm going to have to go back home."

"No, you can't, he'll kill you!" The tears began to fall, the desperation and fear setting in.

"Not if I pretend to be on his side. But you know what this means, don't you Belle?"

"We have to-"

"Break up, yes. Or at least pretend to. I'm not putting your life at risk, Belle, you're the only thing I have that makes me happy. You're my world." Tears were now spilling down his cheeks, as we held each other, neither one wanting to let go.

"Promise me you'll come back to me."

"One day, hopefully. God I hope this isn't it for us."

"Me neither."

I lay my head in Draco's lap, as he stroked my hair. "Mine" he whispered softly.

"Mine."

"Hey, take this." He took his ring off, and gestured for me to take my necklace off. I handed it to him and he slipped the ring onto the chain, before fastening it back round my neck for me.

"Having a piece of me with you will give us both hope of finding each other again" he said as he placed a firm on my lips. It was a different kind of kiss, filled with hunger and desperation. It was a goodbye kiss.

"Victoria, we've got a portkey ready for you. Professor Mcgonagall is waiting for you." Lupin crouched down and gently brushed a piece of hair out of my face. "Harry and the others have gone to find and destroy the other horcruxes, in the meantime we have to keep you safe, your dad would want you to finish school anyway."

"What are you all going to do?"

"The rest of the order will be together, working on a plan for when it all happens"

"I'm scared godfather." Lupin's eyes softened as they met mine.

"You know I'm your godfather?"

I nodded. "Mother told me."

"I'm honoured to be your godfather Victoria, you really are turning into one of the greatest witches of your generation. I'm so proud, Benjamin would be so proud. Now you need to go, when you're ready, just grab this candle. I'll leave you to say goodbye to each other."

I pulled myself to my feet and hugged my godfather for what I hoped wouldn't be the last time. I'd only just found out how close he was to me and suddenly everything was being taken away from me again.

As he walked away Draco took my hand. "Well.....I don't want to say goodbye, I can't."

"Then say aurevoir."

"You and your bloody French Greenwood." He enveloped me in his arms, placing his head on top of mine. I took a deep breath, trying to inhale as much of his scent as possible.

"God what am I going to do without you" he mumbled.

"My Draco." I pulled away, wiping my tears away as I reached out to take hold of the portkey.

With one last look at the boy I loved and my hand enclosed around the object. I was sent tumbling through the air, landing with a thump in Professor Mcgonagall's office.

"Good evening Miss Greenwood."