Chapter 8

3rd PERSON POV

Adira poofed inside her old house, her dad sitting at the table. She walked over to see him holding a picture of her and the boys. "I remember this day. It was one of your first big gigs. I was so happy for you guys" she smiled at the memory. But it was also a sad one, a month after that gig is when things got bad between her and her dad. It wasn't as bad as Luke and his parents, but they did go back and forth a lot. Both saying things that they never meant. But they never apologized for the things they said, it was swept under the rug. Causing a lot of pent up anger and regret.

"I always told you that you had to be careful around Luke. He looked like a heartbreaker. I mean, with his smile and style of clothes, girls were falling at his feet, at least, that's what you're mom told me. I was worried that you'd fall into his trap. And he did break your heart, just not the way I expected" she sighed and sat down. He was right though, she did get her heartbroken, in more ways than one.

Adira never told a soul this, not even Alex, she was honestly embarrassed to tell anyone. She had a crush on the lead guitarist. And she hated it because they were friends and they lived a few houses down from each other. So, when she got kicked out of the band, not only did she have to find someway to get over him, she had to see him bike past her almost everyday. Until he ran away, of course.

He remembers clear as day as his little girl came home with tears streaming down her face. It took 30 minutes, but he finally got her to calm down and explain what happened. He was heartbroken for her. All the time, energy, and effort she put into that band, just for them to dismiss her like it was nothing. What made it worse for him was that he argued with her day and night about that band. And she stuck up for them, all of them.

Adira's head perked up at the mention of her mom. "I remember, we were dating secretly and her parents didn't know. It was her 17th birthday and her parents threw her a big party, inviting a bunch of people. At the time, her parents thought we were friends. And I remember sitting there as she danced with other people laughing and smiling, I thought she forgot about me" Adira laughed sadly but was happy to see a smile on her dads face.

"Then this slow song comes on and she walks over to me, asking me to dance. I swear I don't think I had smiled that much in my life before that moment. As we were dancing she looked so happy and at peace, I just wanted to kiss her in that moment, but I knew we couldn't" he said as he sat the picture down on the table.

"What happened?" Adira was so invested in the story that she forgot he couldn't heard her. "The night went on as usual, but I made sure to give her a good night kiss. A couple months later is when we finally told them. They weren't happy about it, mostly because she lied. And it was a new adjustment to them, seeing me go from friend to boyfriend. But it worked out" Adira smiled at the ending, glad that her grandparents didn't keep them from each other.

" I miss her so much. I miss you so much" she laid her hand on top of his, but obviously it went right through. She stated humming and then suddenly got an idea. "I've got to go!" She said with a smile and snapped her fingers and poofed into the garage.

She walked poofed up the stairs and grabbed her songbook. Already knowing a few of the lyrics. "Why can't I kiss you on the dance floor? Why can't it be like that?" She sang as she strummed her guitar, trying to find the right melody to go with it. It obviously had a meaning behind it, for her dad, but she felt that somewhere along the way of writing this, she'll feel like she will connect with this song as well.

Luke and Reggie appeared back in the garage, laughing but quieted down quickly as they heard the soft strumming of the guitar. "Adira?" Reggie whispered. Luke nodded as he could only hear her whispering. "I guess she's writing again" Luke went to go sit on the stool, but winced as he turned to see Reggie slipped.

"Guys?" Adira looked down at the boys. "Hey, how are you?" Luke asked as he tried to play it off with a smile. "What's that?" She pointed to the paper in Reggie's hand. "What? This? Oh, nothing. It's nothing" Reggie said as he quickly tossed it to Luke. He didn't want to be yelled at. "Is that Julie's?" She asked once she poofed down there.

"This old thing?" Luke pointed to the paper. "No, yea. We just found this in a box. No relation to Julie at all" Luke lied. But Adira could recognize her hand writing. "You went through her dream box! Go put it back!" She shouted.

" Just listen!" He and Reggie set up their guitars. " What do you think about this riff?" Adira looked bored in the face. But on the inside, she was liking it. "Sweet. I'm feeling that. And then I come in with a little, uh..." Reggie trailed off as he started playing bass. Adira was right, these boys don't know anything about personal space.

" Then Julie comes in with her killer lyrics" Luke said. " And sunset curve is reborn" Adira looked to see Julie opening the door. "Guys, you aren't supposed to be out here playing alone" she reminded them.

" But we're not alone. We always have each other" Reggie said as Luke came up behind them and wrapped an arm around Reggie and Adira's shoulders. Adira shrugged off his arm and stepped closer to Julie. Julie shook her head as she unplugged the wires. " But... we were playing on level one" Luke said. " But we rocked it on level 10. You want us to play it again?" Reggie held up his guitar.

" She doesn't want you to. And honestly? I don't want you to" Adira leaned in and whispered. " But we've actually been waiting for you to come home" Luke said excitedly. Adira stood next to Julie, her facing mirroring her's.

" Ok, so we have some pretty major news to tell you. We had a band meeting earlier, and... we wanna invite you and Adira to join Sunset Curve! And no, you're not dreaming" Reggie drum rolled.

"No" Adira said immediately. "What?" Reggie and Luke exclaimed. They thought she'd be happy to be back. "Oh" Julie said. "Oh?" Luke repeated.

"That's what you say when you get socks in your birthday, not when you're invited to join the best band ever" Luke looked at them like they were crazy.

" Sorry. I'm honored, but I can't think about anything buy Flynn right now" Julie apologized. " She's still mad at me for lying. She hadn't even texted me back!"

" Yea, your in a tough spot" Luke said, "Yea" Reggie agreed. " So, you wanna join the band?" Luke changed the subject. Adira rolled her eyes at his stupidity.

Julie nodded and was getting ready to leave. "Oh, come on! We need you, and you need us because you need music. We found this poem that you wrote and Reggie and I, we added this really cool melody to it. It sounds awesome" Luke pulled out the piece of paper.

" Where'd you find that?" Julie asked. That's when Luke got scared. " Uh... definitely not your dream box" Luke pulled Reggie in front of him to use as a shield. But she simply walked passed him. " Did you know?" She turned and faced her ghostly friend. Adira looked over at the boys before looking back at her. " I only found out a few minutes before you. I told them to put it away" she promised.

" You went through my stuff!" Julie started chasing Luke around. " Oh, yea. We can do that now" Reggie said happily. " Now you can't! Boundaries! Give it back!" She demanded as she slammed her hands on the piano.

" No! Hey, you need to realize how insanely talented you are. Ok? Listen to this" Luke jumped on the piano. " If somebody hurts you..." Julie tried snatching it away. " If somebody hurts you, I'm gonna get hurt too. And my life, my life would be real low, zero. Flying solo" Luke sang. " Oh-oh!" Reggie harmonized.

" It's a killer melody" Adira hated to agree, but he was right. " I wrote that about Flynn when she was helping me with all my mom stuff. I gotta go" Julie turned and sighed. "Hey, what about the band?" Luke called out.

" Oh... I almost forgot. Stay outta my room!" She demanded as she shut the door. " Yea! We will if you goin the band" he stuck his head through the door. He turned around to see Adira walking away. "No! Come back here, Adira!" Luke shouted.