Chapter 24

3rd PERSON POV

It was late at night and after they poofed into the garage, Adira couldn't sleep. Too many thoughts were racing through her mind. "Was she starting to like Luke again? Does Luke Luke her? Did Julie like Luke? Did Luke Luke Julie? Should she step back and see what happens between Julie and Luke?" All these questions were running through her mind.

Adira knew it was late so she decided not to go see her dad. She'd probably end up crying to him, about him and how much she missed him. Seeing Luke and his parents today really hit her. Especially since she saw her dad walking up their driveway earlier.

"Hey, can we talk?" Adira looked down from the garage roof to see Luke standing there. "If you want to talk to me, you have to come up here" she knew Luke was scared of heights, especially ones with thin ledges. So she knew Luke wasn't gonna come up here. He never did.

"Can we talk now?" She lifted her head to see Luke sitting at the top of her head. Adira moved so her head was resting in his lap. Luke ran his fingers through her hair. All she wanted was a moment to think by herself so she could sort out her emotions. But, she was going to be nice all the way up until Luke's birthday was over.

"Think of this like a birthday present" Adira weakly chuckled, it's like he read her mind. "Ok, fine. Only because I've had a good night so far" Luke fist bumped the air silently. "About the other day-" Luke didn't get to finish because Adira cut him off. "Don't worry about it. You were stressed, I was tired. That conversation was bound to become an argument somehow" Luke frowned slightly, he wanted to officially apologize, but she always forgives him. He'd like to know why.

"No, I was just upset that you and Julie were still mad at us. I had no right to call you a quitter, especially since... I'm the one that quit on you 25 years ago" Adira had no idea where this was coming from, but it sounded like she needed to get it off his chest. "I just keep being a jerk and you keep forgiving me. Even though you shouldn't, I'm really happy that you do" Luke finished.

"What's up with you, Luke?" Adira questioned him. "What do you mean?" He was confused. "I mean... you've only ever apologized to me a handful of times when we were alive. Now, it seems like you apologize every five minutes. What happened to the Luke I know?" She laughed. "Not that I don't like this side of Luke. It's nice, but kinda hard to get used to" she added quick.

Adira liked sensitive Luke. It meant that he was growing and changing as a person. Finally being able to realize that other people's emotions matter more than music. Well, she wouldn't say Luke has gotten that far yet, but... he's working on it.

"Well, maybe this Luke is working on being a better person, you know? Being dead has put a lot of things into perspective for me. Like for instance... some things in life are more important than revenge" he wanted to say she was more important than revenge, but he thought was a dead giveaway to his feelings. Luke wanted to tell her when the time was right.

Well, this just made her even more confused. How could she stop having these feelings for Luke when he talks like that? "So, remind why you're up on the roof?" Luke broke her train of thought. "I just like to look at the night sky. So many stars and the moon, just illuminating the night sky. I think we should stop and look at it every once in a while. You might see something that wasn't there before" while she was rambling, Luke couldn't stop looking at her. He loved that she was passionate about something.

He loved the way her eyes lit up when she talked about something that excited her. He loved her smile when she played. Luke even loved the fact that even though she has performed on stage multiple times, she still gets a little nervous. Then Luke realized something. He realized that he was in love with Adira. And that absolutely terrified him. He'd never really felt anything other than platonic feelings for her, so this was all so new to him.

"Um..." Luke cleared his throat, suddenly becoming more nervous around her. "Do you want me to stay or go? I figured that you'd want to be alone if you're up here" Luke stopped running his fingers through her hair. "You can do whatever. It's not like I own the sky. But, I want you to stay. I like when you run your fingers through my hair, calms me down" Adira was glad Luke wasn't looking at her because she felt her cheeks heat up from embarrassment. She never thought she'd tell Luke that, but she just did.

"Yea, ok. Cool. That's cool" Luke was really nervous now. It was just Adira and himself up here alone. He needed to finish that song, that could be his way of telling her his feelings. Throughout the night, Luke and Adira laughed and talked about stars. They talked about old memories that came up, embarrassing birthday party's. They even laughed at the memory of them being each other's first kiss.

While Luke was thinking about her, Adira was thinking about who she should talk to about this. Alex would tell her to go for it, but also want to talk about how long she's had these feelings. Miliano would just tell her that she can't keep hiding her feelings. And she couldn't talk to Luke or Julie. Adira was afraid that if she asked Julie if she liked Luke, she wouldn't like the answer. Reggie would probably joke around, but try to offer the best advice he could. It was obviously a toss up between Alex and Reggie. If that fails, she'll talk to Miliano. But he would tell her to put herself first. And, how could she do that if she wasn't certain of anything right now?

Luke watched Adira fall asleep, he laughed to himself as he was surprised she'd fallen asleep right there. As carefully as he could, Luke picked her up and poofed into the garage. He laid her on the couch and pulled a blanket over her. His fingers carefully brushing a strand of hair out of her face and slightly smiled to himself. Boy, did he have it bad for her.

Luke also decided to be nosy again. He walked over to her book and flipped over to the drawing of himself and her together. Luke smiled as he looked at the others, he stopped on one particular page. It was of him crying. "When did she have time to draw this?" Luke mumbled. They had practically been together almost all day, expect for a few times.

"Was this from today?" He mumbled. It reminded him of earlier when he was crying on his parents countertop. But it also reminded him of the first night he and the boys went to her dads house to see how he was doing. Luke made a mental note to tell her about it soon. It was only fair since she told him that she was there at his house.

He closed the book and walked back over to the couch, grabbing his journal in the process. It was easy to write when the girl was sleeping right next to him. He'd never written a love song like this before, so he was praying that if he ever got the courage to play this for her, it would be great.

"Voice like an angel, I've never heard before" he hummed quietly to himself. Then, he got the idea to make it a duet. It was going to be hard to explain why he made it a duet. And why the lyrics were going to be the way they were. But to him, it always felt like there was always an unspoken connection when they sing together.

"We say we're friends, we play pretend" he sang as he looked over at her. "You're more to me" Luke heard the a whoosh sound coming from upstairs and quickly hid his journal, then faked like he was sleeping.

"Aw! Look at them. They are cute" Luke could hear Reggie's voice. "Be quiet. The last thing we need to do it wake them up" Alex whispered to him. Luke ended up falling asleep while waiting for them to leave or go to bed as well.

Adira woke up and tried to stretch but her legs hit something. She looked up to see Luke laying right there. Smiling slightly, she scooted over to him and wrapped the blanket around them both. As soon as Adira made herself comfortable in Luke's side, his arm immediately wrapped around her. She laid her head on his chest as she played with the fabric of the blanket. Feeling the warmth and comfort that Luke provided, her eyes got heavy and she fell asleep against him.

Luke didn't take long to wake up after Adira moved closer to him. He looked down and saw that she was dead asleep. Her hair tossed everywhere and light snores coming from her mouth. Luke looked at the time and realized it was only 5 AM, so they definitely had some more time to sleep. He quickly shifted them she laid on top of him while his back laid on the couch. To him, it was much more comfortable.

Luke placed a soft kiss to Adira's head and closed his eyes once more.