Chapter 16

3rd PERSON POV

" Is everybody fired up for Julie and the Phantoms?" Flynn asked the crowd. They cheered as their response. " Good. Keep that fire. We're running a bit being schedule, but don't worry, just enjoy these mind-blowing beats" Flynn started the music up again and walked towards Julie with Adira trailing behind.

" Julie and the Phantoms?" Julie asked. " I had some free time in French class. And you'd better like it because I registered it on Insta, Snapchat, Twitter... " Julie cut Flynn off. " No, I love it. But I'd love it more if the actual Phantoms were here. Adira's already here though" Flynn nodded and rushed off.

Julie and Adira turned around to see what she was looking at and saw Nick. " Nick! Look, Flynn! It's Nick!" Julie said with wide eyes and looked at Adira who was already smirking. "Thanks for the introduction" he walked closer. "So you made it" Julie said surprised. " I wouldn't miss it. The truth is I can't wait to se you play again. Your song had been stuck in my head for weeks" Julie chuckled. " Well, someone should let it out" Julie realized what she said. "What?" Adira asked. That made no sense to her.

" I don't know what that meant, either" Julie looked down in embarrassment. " I like your shoes" Nick complimented. "Thanks. I just like to doodle on them sometimes" Julie looked up and made eye contact with him. Adira was going to back away and let them have their moment, but Carrie made an appearance.

" I can't tell if the crowd is getting restless or bored. Never a good sign. Oh, hi, Julie. Get a new bag?" Carrie acted like she just now saw here. " Actually, it's my hologram projector. Just did a little upgrade" Carrie looked down at it.

" Oh, so simple. You know I was expecting something a little more... sophisticated" Carrie shaded. " It's what's on the inside that counts" Julie fired back. Carrie snickered. " Yea, that's what a lot of people have to tell themselves. Come on, Nick" Carrie walked away. Nick gave Julie one last look before following his girlfriend.

"I think you should let me hit her. Or at least trip her. She deserves it" Adira said. She never knew the full story on why she and Julie weren't friends, she was curious, but didn't pry.

Julie sighed as she pulled out her phone. They were 15 minutes late. She was hoping that they would show late. "They'll be here, don't worry" Adira noticed her worry and tried to reassure her.

ADIRA'S POV

Julie and I were sitting on the ground across from each other. I huffed, the guys were late. They were never late. "Julie, are you good?" I asked once I noticed the look on her face. "I don't know. Tell me a story to pass the time" Julie said, while I smiled at her. This I can do. "Ok, topic of choice?" I asked. "How you and Luke met" she said happily. This girl is really trying.

"Ok. We were basically neighbor's. We lived a few houses down from each other. We met when we were... 9, I think? I was learning how to ride a bike at the time. As I was biking down the street, I lost my balance and fell. Luke, he saw from his yard and came and helped me" I started explaining, while Julie, had an 'aw' look on her face.

"It was like we were best friends from them. I don't know what it was, but, it wasn't hard to be friends with Luke as we got older. I had already known him for such a long time that I knew what he was thinking, feeling, basically anything. Um... we went to every little dance and party. Except prom, but I ended up having Luke as my date at the end of the night. But that's a story for another time" I said with a smile.

"You better tell me that prom story" Julie said with a pointed look. "I will, promise. Um, when the band started getting big, that's when my dad and I had started having problems. As you know, I lost my mom when I was 14, and he had already started distancing himself from me, but I didn't blame him. Luke, he was already having his own problems, but no matter what, he always was there. It was funny because I was always up at midnight, and that's when Luke and I always had our deep conversations. We eventually got to the point where we starting leaving our windows open for each other. At some point one of us would be in the others bed. Then, you know... I got kicked out" I ended the story, while Julie stared intensely at me.

"What?" I asked with a smile. "I never knew... You're in love with Luke!" She exclaimed as she stood up. I followed her. "Wait, what? Why do you think I'm in love with Luke? I literally told you how we met" I asked her. Talk about reaching for the stars. Julie was reaching for the universe with what's she's saying.

"The smile you had one your face when you talked about him, was something else. Ah, I knew it! Y'all would be so cute!" Julie said as she clasped her hands together. "Whatever, Julie. Go flirt with Nick. Tell him that somebody should let out that song" I joked and her smile dropped. "Oh, you didn't like that, did you?" I teased as she rolled her eyes but had a smile on her face.

Then, Flynn came back stage. "Julie! I can only keep the crowd calm for so long. Are the guys here?" She asked. Julie looked at me and I just shrugged my shoulders. "Um, no. But they will be" Julie reassured. Flynn gave her a look bit nodded reluctantly and left.

"Adira, what am I gonna do? I can't go on by myself!" Julie exclaimed. I held my hand up and walked towards the curtain to look out at the crowd. It was already past 10 and the dance was going to end soon.

I looked out and some looked tired, some even began to leave. Knowing Carrie, she'd try to make fun of Julie and if she didn't perform. And Julie was far from deserving that. I wasn't going to let her down.

I walked back to Julie who looked like a nervous wreck. "Ok, Julie? I need you to breath with me, ok? Deep breaths. In and out" I instructed, she followed and shook out her nerves. "Even if the guys won't show tonight, you'll still perform" I told her. "But how? I mean you're a guitarist and I play the piano. How are we supposed to do something that will wow the crowd?" She asked me.

"Hold that thought" I snapped my fingers and poofed into the studio and grabbed my book, then poofed back into the school. "It's not exactly the greatest thing. But, I think that you can really bring some energy into this song" I said as I handed her the book. "We. We can bring some energy she said into this song" she corrected.

"I know the songs the we wrote over the weekend wouldn't really work with just a guitar and piano, so I figured we can save those for a different time. The melody isn't hard to learn, but I-" I looked down to see Julie trying to hug me. "I know I can't touch you, but, thank you for not bailing on me tonight" she said.

"It's ok. Now, go learn the melody while I set up" Julie gave me one last smile and left. As soon as she couldn't see me, my smile dropped. Once I'm done performing with Julie, I'm gonna go find the boys. And when I do, I will kill them.

AUTHORS NOTE

So the song that Julie and Adira are gonna perform in the next chapter is Someone To You by BANNERS. It's a good song and I think that Julie and Adira will do well with it. I was also debating about Julie just telling Adira that she won't perform and cancel, but my homie, Adira ain't gonna let that happen. She's a real one.

Anyway, the backstory? What do we think? I was also think of doing a flashback chapter of prom for her and Luke. And how Luke ended up being her date by the end of the night.