Chapter 16

Tony's POV

I didn't open the package until I returned to the tower. I went into my office and I placed the package on my desk to open it. Inside was an old flip phone and a letter. I picked up the letter first and started to read it, but I really wished I didn't.

Tony,

I'm glad you're back at the compound. I don't like the idea of you rattling around a mansion by yourself. We all need family. The Avengers are yours - maybe more so than mine.

I've been on my own since I was eighteen. I never really fit in anywhere, even in the army. My faith's in...people, I guess. Individuals. And, I'm happy to say that for the most part, they haven't let me down. Which is why I can't let them down either. Locks can be replaced, but maybe they shouldn't.

I know I hurt you, Tony. I guess I thought by not telling you about your parents I was sparing you, but...I can see now that I was really sparing myself. And I'm sorry. Hopefully one day you can understand.

I wish we agreed on the Accords, I really do. I know you're doing what you believe in, and that's all any of us can do — it's all any of us should.

So no matter what, I promise you. If you need us — if you need me — I'll be there.

The nerve of him! Does he really think that I need him? That I need our so-called team? Also what kind of apology is this? It sounds like he's not even trying to apologize; it sounds like he's trying to save face from reality. Well, maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe, I'll see what the team thinks. I had to keep myself from burning the letter with my Extremis powers as I walked into the living area.

"Well, this is the worst piece of garbage of an apology I have ever read", Jessica responded angrily.

"I can't believe he thinks that this is an acceptable apology", Clint said with just as much anger as Jessica.

"The absolute nerve of him. I can't believe you actually worked with him", Pepper also said angrily.

"I know, I couldn't believe it when I read it too"

"Honestly, Tony. How did you deal with these people? They're so self- righteous. The nerve of them!"

"Yes, I know. I almost burned this letter with my Extremis powers, but I wanted to show you guys first. I thought I was overreacting, but based on all of you guys' reactions, I think I was pretty rational on my reaction"

"Honestly, Tony. I would've shoved this so-called apology letter right up his self-righteous—"

"Wow, Jessica. Calm down. We don't need to say things that we might regret"

"Please, I can assure you that I definitely won't regret saying this"

"Jess, come on. It's going to be fine"

"Is it, Tony? I mean, really, is it going to be fine? Because it seems to me that things aren't fine"

"Look, things will be fine. It's not like they're coming back"

"Well, I hope they don't, Tones"

"For their sake"

"Clint!"

"What? I'm just saying. A whole bunch of people are angry at them. Not just us"

"Actually, Clint's right. Watch the news, Tony. A lot of people are hating the Avengers, especially Rogers, because of your press conference"