Chapter 19

Jessica's POV

"Ok, so do you want the bad news, the not-so-very good news, or the sort-of good news?"

"Does it really matter? It all just sounds like bad news anyways?"

"Well, not exactly. The two somewhat good news could be good news, maybe"

"Just get to the point, Jessica. No point holding him into suspense", Clint said.

"Alright, I might as well tell you the bad news first. So, the committee called when you were gone. They said that since the threat is coming, they decided that they'll pardon the rogues"

"What? Why?"

"Well, apparently, it's because we're not recruiting enough people for their pace. As much as I hate it, Tony, we do really need all the help we can get. Even if it means that we have to work with those entitled morons"

"Please, we don't need them. We'll be fine without them"

"Yes. We know that, Clint, but do we really have a choice? If the committee's allowing it, then we have to abide by it"

"Look, we can discuss this later. Jessica, when are they supposed to be pardoned?"

"They said in about two years"

"That soon?", Clint scoffed.

"It was the best they could do. They wanted to do it as soon as possible"

"Ok, fine. Jessica's right. It's the committee allowing, we have to abide by it, regardless of how we feel. Anyways, what's the 'not-so-very good news?'"

"Well, I may have been over-exaggerating the form of good news. Anyways, the king of Wakanda called, it was something about your BARF technology"

"You seriously need to change that name, Tony", Clint muttered, but Tony ignored him.

"What about it?"

"The king requires your technology to help a certain person"

"Who is this 'certain person'?"

"Well, someone the name of James Barnes aka The Winter Soldier aka your parents' murderer aka—"

"Alright, Jessica, I think he gets the drift"

"Right, sorry. Anyways, they put him in cryogenic sleep since they couldn't find a cure for his triggers, so when they found out that your new technology can remove triggers, they wanted to test it out on him. But that's up to you, Tony"

"Ok, let's do it"

"Really? You want to do it?"

"Yeah, I want to help the guy"

"But why? He almost killed you, Tony"

"He was defending himself, besides, it was mostly Rogers' doing in the whole 'almost killed me' incident. Look, as much as I hate to agree with anything that Rogers says, I can agree that Barnes didn't know what he was doing. He was brainwashed by HYDRA, so he wasn't in control of his actions, but that doesn't mean he doesn't remember the lives he ruined. I want to help him"

"Clint, even you have to admit that he has a point"

"Sure, I guess. But that doesn't means I like it"

"No-one's asking you to like it, Birdbrain. Just agree with it and move on"

"Man, Harley wasn't kidding when he said that you were bossy. Whatever you say, Spider-Girl. Anyways, are you going to tell him the final news?"

"Oh, right. So, Tony, you remember that Ant-Guy at the airport?"

"Sure, why wouldn't I remember the one who almost killed Peter? What about him?"

"Well, the king of Wakanda said that Mr. Lang was interested in signing the renegotiated accords"

"Really? The Bug-Boy? Seriously?"

"Yeah, I'm just surprised as you are, Tony. But apparently, he's been asking around to read the accords, and he wants to sign"

"Well, I guess once he does, he can join the new team. When is he expected to come?"

"Well, I told the king that they can send here when they bring the others back. I thought it would save on travel if we transport them at once"

"Alright, when he gets here, I'd like to meet him in private. Also Barnes as well"

"Alright, I'm not going to question you because I know for a fact that you won't tell me no matter how many times I ask"

"Aw, you really do know me that well. I'm so touched"

"Whatever. Anyways, how are the renovations going?"

"They're going well; I think I have a basis of what I needed for the compound. Rhodey and Vision really helped a lot. How were the orientations for the new SWORD agents?"

"Oh, well. I guess you could say that anything went according to plan, wouldn't you agree, Clint?"

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever, you little sneak"

"I'm sorry, but am I missing something here?"

"Well, you remember last night when Pepper and I were teasing Clint about his crush, Laura?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, our dearest Clint now has a date with her this Saturday"

"Oh, does he now? It was about time, anyways"

"Hey! I would've been fine by myself if a certain someone wasn't so determined to be involved in my romantic life"

"Oh, come on, Clint. You never even had a romantic life before my apparent interference"

"But, Jessica, didn't I tell you and Pepper to not mess with Clint and his crush?"

"Yeah, but you never said that we couldn't indirectly interfere, besides Clint did all of the work; Pepper and I just gave them a little push"

"Ok, I guess I didn't say that. Remember me to be extra specific when you and Pepper decide to form an alliance against one of us"

"Oh, Tony. I definitely won't do that"

"Of course you won't. Anyways, how's your team going?"

"We're doing great. Everyone's getting along fine; we're actually having a game bonding event later today. Everyone insisted"

"Really? That's good. How's Loki fitting in?"

"He's fitting in great. Harley and him are really close friends with each other. Of course, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing"

"To be honest, I'm more concerned about Harley than Loki"

"I couldn't agree with you more, Tony"

"Even I have to admit that I'm more scared of Harley than Loki"

"Oh, Clint. Are you sure you're okay with Loki being here?"

"Yeah, I'm sure. Once I actually talked to the guy, he's really not a bad person. I'm slowly starting to like him"

"Well, that's great because if we're ever going to protect Earth from this threat then we really need to start connecting and getting along with our teammates"

"I really have to agree with you, Jessica. We can't possibly save the world if we don't get along with one another. And I think you gave me an idea"

"Really? What's that?"

"It depends"

"On what?"

"On who's ready for a whole team game night?"