Chapter 2

Eliza rushes up to her door and quickly unlocks it. She drops her stuff and goes straight to her phone to return Aaron's text.

"Me too ;) address is 125 E Washington St. I'm in the penthouse. Dinner is at 7, so let's say 5:45?"

Aaron does a double take seeing she lives in a penthouse before quickly responding. "Sounds great. See you then :)"

She smiles down at her phone and then heads upstairs to shower, change and straighten her hair before her friends arrive to get ready for the evening. After a few hours of making lunch and relaxing alone, her friends knock on her door.

"My babies!!!" Eliza says excitedly, letting them in and hugging each of them. "JJ, Penelope, Emily, it's been TOO LONG! The murderers and the freaks just need to chill. Don't they know you have lives to live?!" she says.

"If only," Penelope says. "SO, are you excited for tonight?"

"Oh my God, YES. I haven't seen all of you for so long!! And there's something else, too..." Eliza replies with a smirk.

"What is it?" JJ asks.

"OH MY GOD, are you bringing a DATE?!" Penelope asks.

Eliza blushes and pauses.

"Oh my God, you so are!!! Tell us everything," Penelope says.

"Alright, alright! Let's have a seat. Who wants booze?" Eliza asks.

"ME!" All three of the girls exclaim as they head into the living room.

Eliza grabs four glasses, a bucket of ice, and a bottle of tequila. She disperses everything and they all settle in to chat.

"So...I actually just met him this morning at my cycling class," Eliza starts.

"Just this morning?? Isn't that a little fast?" Emily says.

"Speak for yourself, Em!" Penelope says. "Keep going, queen."

"We met this morning. He kept checking me out, then his bike got stuck, so I helped him adjust it. We ended up partnering up for sprints, and I invited him tonight. He's actually coming over before dinner, too."

"I see you!" JJ says. "What's his name?"

"Aaron," Eliza says.

"Aaron?! Oh dear God, what if it's our boss?" Penelope says.

"I think I would die on the spot. My baby sister and my boss? I can't imagine," Emily says.

"I highly doubt that. Although, I guess you'll find out when we arrive," Eliza says cheekily and they all laugh, brushing off the absurdity of that possibility.

After chatting and having a glass or two more of the tequila, the girls head upstairs to get ready. They all do their makeup and hair while enjoying some music, flipping between Ariana Grande, Megan Thee Stallion, and some 2000s rap throwbacks. Eliza opts for soft waves for her medium-length dark hair, and she does a smoky eye with some fake lashes on the ends for extra fluff to accentuate her emerald green eyes. She helps each of the girls decide what to wear before deciding for herself. JJ opts for a short navy strapless dress with nude pumps, Garcia a hot pink cocktail dress with matching shoes, and Emily the classic off the shoulder black dress with Louboutins.

"Ok girlie, what were you thinking of wearing for this Aaron?" Penelope asks Eliza. "Hopefully something that'll make those bedroom eyes pop."

"Let me show ya what I'm thinking, full out. Gimme a minute." She replies and goes to change. She struts out of her walk-in closet in a short, tight, strappy, black Alexander Wang number. She wears gold heels with some gold hoop earrings, a cocktail ring, and a thin gold chain around her neck. The nude pink lip with a clear gloss on top she donned earlier ties everything together. She poses dramatically, which makes them all laugh.

 She poses dramatically, which makes them all laugh

"Smokeshow!!!" Penelope says. "We're not worthy."

"Oh, stop it," Eliza says.

"For real, you look hot," JJ chimes in.

"Alexander Wang, huh?" Emily asks, observing her sister's choice of dress.

"You know, that's an awfully judgy statement for a girl rocking Louboutins," she winks at Emily as she sprays herself with Chanel No. 5.

"Hey, if you've got it, spend it, right?!" Penelope jokes.

"You know I'm just messing. You look great. This Aaron better treat you right," Emily says.

"You know I won't take less," Eliza says, rubbing more perfume inside her wrists. She grabs her phone and checks the time. "Oh damn y'all, he'll be here in about half an hour. Why am I so nervous??" She says, reaching for more deodorant while fanning her face and taking deep breaths.

"Hey now, no stress sweating!! If he doesn't fall to his knees when he sees you looking like this, just kick him to the curb." Penelope says.

"No shit," Emily says.

"I mean come on, you've modeled for freaking CHANEL, know FIVE languages, and now you're gonna be a Ph.D., team-leading, fundraising bad bitch queen!!!" She takes a breath before continuing. "What I'm trying to tell you is...remember your worth." Penelope continues.

"She's right you know," Emily starts, taking Eliza's hand. "Seriously though, be careful. If he mistreats you in any way, I'll have to deal with him personally."

"Em, I know." Eliza says.

"I'm serious, Eliza! You know I just don't want to see you hurt again," Emily says, letting go of Eliza's hand.

"Alright, no more talking about that cheating bastard," JJ says. "This is a happy occasion..."

"Thanks, JJ. Besides, I have zero indication that this is gonna go anywhere, yet alone another freaking engagement," Eliza says, referencing her breaking up her engagement with her fiancé Sam six months ago. "Let's slow it down some, relax, and just see where it goes? After all, that's what I'm trying to do."

"Good plan, my sweet. Alright ladies, let's head out so she can unwind before Mr. Aaron arrives." The girls all head downstairs.

"Thank you, my pretties. We'll see you soon! Thanks for the love and hyping me up, as always," Eliza says to the girls.

"We'll see you both shortly!" Penelope says with a wink and hug. Eliza bids JJ and Emily goodbye with hugs before shutting and locking the door behind her. She leans up to it, hoping the metal will cool off her skin.

"Alright Eliza, deep breaths. Just relax...it's just a drink, and then you'll get to see all of your best friends. Just relax. Don't overcomplicate," Eliza tells herself.

She goes back upstairs and applies more deodorant and perfume before grabbing her clutch. She heads downstairs to pour herself some wine and put on some music to try and relax. The '50s-'60s playlist she made when she started her days at Juilliard always made her calm down. She is lighting a candle in the kitchen when she hears a knock at her door.

"Deep breaths, queen. Let's do this," as she struts over to open the door, smoothing her dress before she grabs the doorknob.

Realized I didn't show Eliza's dress before!! See above hehe :)