Chapter 10

The pair soon arrive hand-in-hand at the restaurant, and Aaron hands his keys to the valet. It's a pretty little place, with string lights on the patio and all over the shrubbery. He checks in at the host stand, who leads them to the patio area. All of the tables are lit with two small candles.

"This place is so nice," Eliza says.

"I thought so, too. I'm glad I'm here with you," Aaron replies.

"Me too," she says with a smile. "Let's drink to that," Eliza says with a wink, referencing the toast they shared just last night at the penthouse. "Cheers," she says as they clink water glasses.

The waiter soon arrives and asks if they'd like to see a wine menu. Eliza shoots daggers at Aaron to signal that she'd be sick if she so much as looked at it, so he quickly declines.

"Still recovering?" He asks with a smile.

"Maybe," she replies with some sass. "I'm pretty small, you know."

"I'd say that you are," he says while very obviously dragging her eyes across her frame. She lightly kicks his shin from under the chair, and they share a brief laugh. She shifts the conversation back.

"Ok, so I have to know...what made you choose pink peonies for me yesterday?"

Aaron starts to blush some. "Please don't judge me for this, but I found your Vogue video. I saw you at class and thought you looked familiar, so after I got your card, I googled you."

"Did you figure out where you've seen me before?"

"Yeah, my Neiman Marcus catalogue...the Chanel ads."

"You're a Neiman man? Oh my God, this is so great."

"Is that a good thing?"

"Honey, where do you think I get all my good pieces from?!"

"I figured Anna would get you set up," he says with a smirk, referencing her pictures with Anna Wintour on the walls at her house. "How did you two meet?"

"She handpicked me for one of the first 73 Questions videos they did," she replies. "I couldn't believe it...I was still at Juilliard at that point, in the dorms. That's why we filmed it mostly across the campus. When she called, I thought I was being pranked."

"Well I don't see why..." he says, teasing her.

"Oh yeah?" She asks, brushing her foot against his shin under the table.

"Well yeah...you're the most intelligent, accomplished, and beautiful model she's ever laid eyes. I know that's what I see, at least..." he says, eyes darting to her lips. "I mean, come on now...you're wearing that dress like you're doing it a favor."

Eliza's jaw drops some. She licks her lips to play right into his hands. "Is that right?" She asks, eyes on his lips now, ready to jump straight across the table into his hands.

Their exchange is quickly interrupted by the waiter's return. They frantically order so they can bring their attention back to each other. He soon grabs her hand from across the table.

"Where were we?" She asks, her entire body now filled with energy. "Ahh yes, Vogue. Anna and I have kept in touch ever since the video. She kicked herself when I moved to D.C. for my Ph.D. She tried so hard to get me to work for the magazine, but I just had zero interest."

"What made you want to go into higher ed?"

"I got a temp job with Juilliard's fundraising team during my Master's, helping out with their gala event. I only did it because I thought it'd be fun to work the event...turns out I found my passion, and I worked in the office for the rest of my program. Right around when Emily moved to D.C. was when I realized just how sick I was of New York City, so I came here so we could be closer."

"That's really cool. A lot of people would probably choose asking people for money for a living as a last resort," Aaron says.

"That's very true. You could say the same exact same thing about being in the Bureau, too," she says with a smile. "What led you there?"

"I used to be a prosecutor. Then I was in the Bureau office out of Seattle. The BAU came for an early case I was a part of, and after working with them, I wanted in. So I took all the classes and packed it up to good ole Quantico."

"Very nice, Agent. Do you ever miss your prosecutorial days?"

"Never," he says. "What I do can be absolutely miserable, but it makes so much more a difference."

"I love that," she says with a smile. Suddenly, Aaron's phone rings, and he answers, letting go of her hand.

"Hotchner," he says firmly. "Alright. Ok. Right. Right. Thank you," he says.

"Got a case?" Eliza asks.

"I do; I'm really sorry," he says, apologetic and disappointed to leave.

"Don't worry about it," Eliza says with a reassuring smile. "Where are you headed?"

"Miami. Here, this should take care of dinner," he says, leaving a crisp 100-dollar bill on the table. "Will you be ok getting home?" He asks, a little frantic.

"I'll be fine. Stay safe," she says.

"Thanks; I'm sorry I can't stay," he says.

"It's ok, really. Talk when you're back?" she says with a smile.

"Absolutely." He gets up, bends down and kisses her on the lips. "See you soon."

"Bye," she says. She has both plates boxed up and texts Madison. "You busy?"

"No—what's up?"

"On a date; he had to leave before we ate...def legit. Think you can come pick me up? You can have his food lol"

"On my way. Send me the address."

"Thanks; I owe ya big. xo," Eliza replies, following with the address. Madison arrives about 10 minutes later and texts Eliza, "Outside valet."

"Be right out," Eliza says, grabbing the food. She assures the waiter he can keep the change as she rushes out to the car. "Oh my God, thank you; I owe you big," Eliza thanks Madison.

"Oh don't worry about it; is he a doctor or something?"

"Nope; he's in the government," she says, not wanting to reveal the whole truth just yet.

"Shut UPPPPP. Is this bike boy??"

"That's right. Good thing I didn't skip class yesterday...he's great."

"I'd say so," Madison says, pulling up outside Eliza's building. Eliza steps out of the car and notices Madison hasn't moved; she knocks on the window, which Madison rolls down.

"Aren't you coming up?"

"Nah, that's ok. I've got an early shift," she says.

"Oh, alright; do you want the food?"

"No, that's ok. You keep it."

"Well thank you Mads...I owe ya one," Eliza says, with a wave as she heads up to her building. Madison rolls up the window.

"I've got you now, E...it's a shame I'll have to kill you soon," Madison says before putting the car in drive and speeding off.

Well well well...how the turntables...stay tuned y'all; this is just the beginning!!! xoxo