Chapter 24

The team spends the night in the waiting room, waking up to the sunrise. They each get up on their own time and stretch before piddling around and getting coffee. Aaron and Emily, however, stay put, not having slept much. After an hour or so more, the same doctor returns.

"You can come see her now," the doctor says. Aaron and Emily both erupt from their chairs. "Umm...one at a time for now."

Aaron turns to Emily. "You go first, I'll wait until you get back."

"No, you go."

"Emily—"

"It's ok. I can wait."

Aaron squeezes Emily's shoulder before walking off with the doctor. He heads into her room hesitantly, as he can tell she looks ready to cry.

"Aaron?" She asks. He hesitates before rushing to her side and taking her quickly but carefully into his arms. She nuzzles her head into his neck, and he feels her tears on his shirt as he strokes the back of her head. They pull away after a few moments, and she lays back down, wincing a little.

"Are you alright?" He asks frantically. "Let me get the doc—"

"Sit," she says. He obliges and takes her hand, moving his chair closer to the bed so he can wipe her tears away, but they just start to flow again.

"Shhh, Eliza, I'm here," he says softly.

"I know, that's why I'm crying. I'm just happy you're here. I love you so much," she says.

"I love you too, so much. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you." He says, still wiping her tears.

"It's ok; you can't blame yourself," Eliza says. "I'm gonna be ok, Aaron. I mean, come on; the IRA couldn't get rid of me." They both laugh at that as she settles back into the bed. "But I don't wanna talk about that now. What was your race time?"

"What?"

"Your race time yesterday. How did you do?"

"You know...I don't even know."

"Pull it up; I wanna see."

"Woman, you are something else."

"Oh please...you sound like Derek," Eliza says. They laugh again, and the doctor knocks.

"Morning, Eliza...how are you feeling?" The doctor asks.

"Like a bitch took a bat to my stomach," Eliza quips. "On the real, I do feel better than when I first woke up last night."

"Great to hear. I'll leave you two alone and will be back a little later."

"Thank you," Eliza and Aaron both say. "Did you find it?" Eliza asks, sitting up to glance at Aaron's phone before wincing in pain. "Ahhh shit; I have got to stop doing that."

Aaron clutches her hand more tightly. "Lay back, baby. Let's see here...two hours, 25 minutes."

"Above average...of course. Pairs well with the rest of you." She says, scanning his body.

"Simmer down, Carlisle," Aaron smirks. Just as he says that, Emily knocks and comes in.

"Emily," Eliza stretches out her arms for a hug.

"Eliza...I'm so glad you're okay," hugging her tight before sitting in the chair on the other side of the bed. "How do you feel?"

"Sore as a mother," Eliza says. "But the prognosis is primo. Pray tell, I gotta know something...did you really fuck that son of a bitch?!"

Emily glances at Aaron. "Only because I had to, trust me." The girls laugh, and Aaron cracks a smile. "You did good, you know."

"Whatcha mean, sis?"

"I mean you beat the shit out of Madison, and you were crafty enough to toss your cycling shoes in the hall. You led us right to her."

"Ahhh, I can't take all the credit...that bitch was dumb," Eliza scoffs. "My therapist is gonna have a field day when I come in and tell her I was kidnapped by the Irish mob."

"Good thing you pay her so damn much," Emily says. "I'm gonna grab some coffee. Hotch, you want one?"

"Sure, thanks."

"I'll be back," Emily says, kissing the top of Eliza's head and squeezing her hand as she leaves.

"Excuse me, Eliza?" A nurse asks from the doorway.

"Yes?"

"You've got several friends asking when they can see you—is it alright if they come in?"

Eliza smiles. "Yes; that's fine, thank you." The nurse steps aside as Derek, Penelope, Spencer, JJ, and Dave slowly enter.

"Thank God, icon; you really gave us a scare," Penelope says, hugging her warmly.

"Aww doll; I'm ok. I always knew you all would find me," Eliza says before pulling away and looking at everyone. "I literally owe all of you my life. I just don't know what would've happened without you. Thank you." Aaron squeezes her hand before rubbing circles into it.

"Not necessary," Derek says. "We're just glad to see you're ok."

"Well, when I get cleared to drink again, we will celebrate accordingly. But for now, I feel like eating hella soup and lounging around."

"As you should," Dave says.

"We'll let you rest," JJ says softly as they exit, Spencer waving as he leaves, which Eliza returns.

"I should go, too—" Aaron starts.

Eliza grips his hand more tightly. "Please stay. Does anyone have my phone?" Aaron reaches and gives it to her.

"What are you doing?" he asks.

"Calling Carol...she's gonna have to put a pause on her retirement."

"Eliza, don't worry about that right—"

"Aaron, I love you, but please let me do this right now," she says, dialing the phone. As she does, Aaron gets a call of his own. Strauss.

"Shit," he thinks to himself, stepping outside to answer. "Ma'am?"

"Aaron, we need to talk," Strauss says firmly.