Chapter 16

Aaron hangs up the phone and dives back into the case files. He looks closely at the crime scene photos again and notices a detail he hasn't noticed before. "Of course," he says to himself. He calls Dave and Derek and has them gather the rest of the team to head back to the station.

Soon after that, with Penelope's help in tracking cell phone activity, they locate and apprehend the suspect. By that time, it's 1 AM out west, and the team soon heads back to gather their files and head to the air strip. Aaron calls Eliza as he boards the jet, once again the first to arrive.

"Hello?" Eliza says groggily. "What time is it?"

"Oh God, I forgot how early it was there, E; I'm sorry. We're headed home now." He says softly.

"I told you you'd crack it, darling," Eliza says, rolling onto her back. "Does that mean you're gonna make our class?"

"Definitely," Aaron confirms, logging in to book his bike. "Although...can we pick a later session? I need a normal amount of sleep for one night. I see there's an 11 AM."

"Of course," Eliza confirms. "Pick you up at 10:15?"

"Sure," Aaron says as he books his bike. "Hey, book bike #7, ok?"

"Ok, Agent. You better brace yourself...I have a lot of pent-up energy to release," she smirks.

"Maybe you should come over a little earlier so I can help you with that."

"Oh I don't think so, Agent...I'll need to save that to beat your ass. Although I suppose I could ride something else again afterward..."

"You absolutely can," Aaron smirks but quickly clears his throat as Derek and Dave enter the jet. "Well I gotta let you go now, I'll see you soon?"

"Who just came onto the jet?" Eliza asked, smiling.

"How—how did you—"

"I'm not the only one who can read body language, you know," Eliza teases.

"Hey what's up, mama?!" Derek says loudly and bumping elbows with Dave, who have both cracked the code and are snickering to themselves.

"Hello, baby boy," Eliza replies loudly before shifting her attention back. "Get some rest, Aaron...you're gonna need it," she whispers that last half.

"Go back to sleep," Aaron says. "I'll see you soon."

"Goodnight," Eliza says and turns back over to sleep.

"Hey Hotch, did you forget how early it is in DC?" Derek teases with a smile.

"The mind does tend to lapse when you're smitten," Dave teases. "Trust me, I've had enough practice. So...where's the next date?"

"We're going cycling again, if you must know," Aaron says.

"We do have to know; after all, she was our girl before she was yours," Derek teases. "Or is that not quite official yet?"

"I'm working on it," Aaron says.

"There is no 'working on it,' Aaron; there is only do," Dave says.

"Pack it up, Yoda," Derek says to Dave before turning back to Aaron. "Just do what I do, Hotch; if you keep it chill with her, she'll keep it chill with you."

"What the hell does that even mean? Don't listen to him Aaron; be more decisive. That's what women like," Dave says.

"What do women like?" JJ asks curiously as she joins the crew.

"We're trying to tell Hotch how to make it official with Eliza," Derek says.

"And why is that?"