Chapter 36

^^that GIF makes me emo

A couple of weeks later, it's Memorial Day weekend, and Anna Wintour is hosting a party at her Hamptons beach mansion to celebrate Eliza's cover and 73 Questions video. The entire team was coming, and Anna was flying them out on her private jet. After having dinner in DC, the team heads to the air strip.

"All right, let's GOOOO!" Derek says. "This thing is SICK!"

"Hey now, the BAU isn't the only one with a G5," Eliza teases. "Let's hit it!!!" The girls minus Emily plus Derek practically bolt up the aircraft, everyone else following more slowly behind.

"So...you ready?" Emily asks Aaron softly.

He smiles back. "I think so." Emily then heads for the girls. Aaron settles in next to Dave and thinks back to his most recent conversation with Emily at the BAU.

"You wanted to see me?" Emily says from Aaron's office doorway.

"Yes, please come in, and shut the door behind you." Emily obliges, and Aaron stands up from his desk.

"We—we can sit over here," Aaron says, pointing to his sitting area. He takes the chair, Emily the couch.

"Is everything alright?" Emily asks worriedly.

"Oh yes, yes; everything is fine. More than fine, actually. Emily, there—there's something I want to show you." Aaron glances behind him to confirm that his blinds are drawn before reaching into his jacket pocket and pulling out a Tiffany blue box. Inside is a stunning engagement ring in white gold with a 2-carat emerald cut diamond flanked by two smaller emerald-cut diamonds.

 Inside is a stunning engagement ring in white gold with a 2-carat emerald cut diamond flanked by two smaller emerald-cut diamonds

"Oh—oh my God," Emily starts. "That is...wow. She's going to love it."

"Emily, I haven't even asked you what I wanted to ask you yet." Aaron smiles before speaking again. "Emily, I know this relationship I have with your sister was not easy for you at first. I don't mean that to profile you; I mean it to acknowledge that it was difficult for you at first, and I want you to know that I've always respected that. But I've known in my heart for a long time, ever since I met her, that she was someone special. She stood out to me from day one, ever since I laid eyes on her at that cycling class. Ever since that day, she has made me feel happier than I ever have, and more than I ever thought possible. And the way she treats my son is—it's unmatched. Which is why I want to take this next step with her, but before I do, I want to be sure that—that it's ok with you. That I have your blessing. I promise you that I will love and protect her with my life, and—"

"Aaron," Emily says, making him stop in his tracks. She smiles, and her eyes are a bit misty before she speaks again. "You already do." She ensures him.

"What?" He asks softly, confused.

"Hotch, I've known for a very long time how fiercely you love her. Ever since that dinner last year, I knew you felt something very deep for her, just by the way you looked at her. And how you nearly broke that guy's arm who hit on her at the club." They both share a laugh over that. "Do you want to know when I knew you'd marry her?" He nods. "After she showed me the coffee table she bought after her attack. You have no idea what that meant to her...or to me, as her sister."