Chapter 28

After her stint on the Hill, Eliza heads home to change for Dave's celebratory dinner. She decides on high-waisted denim shorts, a solid yellow tee, Gucci sneakers, and her same Fendi sunglasses before heading to Aaron's to pick up him and Jack. She soon arrives and knocks on the door.

"Eliza!!" Jack says excitedly as he runs into the hall and into her arms

"Eliza!!" Jack says excitedly as he runs into the hall and into her arms. "I missed you!"

"Hi buddy! I missed you too!" Eliza replies, squatting down to hug him back. Aaron soon catches up and locks up, greeting her with a kiss before they head onto the elevator, Jack holding Eliza's hand and rambling about his Legos before looking up at his dad.

"Dad, where are we going again?" Jack asks.

"We're going to Uncle Dave's for dinner." Aaron replies.

"Why? Is it his birthday?"

"No, not quite. We're just celebrating after a case."

"Oh. Did you get the bad guy?" Aaron and Eliza smile at each other before he responds.

"Yes we did, buddy...yes we did," Aaron replies, eyes still on Eliza as the elevator opens and they head toward the car. They soon arrive at Dave's house, and Jack heads straight toward Eliza to hold her hand again, which makes her heart swell.

"Hey Jack, do you think I could hold Eliza's hand now?" Aaron asks.

"Nope. Sorry dad," Jack replies matter of fact, making Eliza and Aaron laugh.

"Come on, buddy; I think Henry might be here tonight, too," Eliza says to Jack as they all head inside to meet everyone.

"There they are, ma famiglia!" Dave exclaims, turning away from the stove top. "Jack, how's it going, pal? I see you've got somebody on your arm."

"Who, Eliza? I'm holding her hand, Uncle Dave." Jack corrects his Uncle Dave, making everyone laugh. Eliza squeezes his hand after he says that.

"Jack!!!" Henry bounds over and yells. "Come play with me!"

"Ok!" Jack says and immediately runs away.

"Can you drink this yet?" Penelope asks, approaching Eliza with a glass of white wine.

"I sure can," Eliza says. "Cheers!" They clink glasses. Just then, a kitchen timer dings.

"Just a couple more stirs...and...voila! Il pasta pomodoro. Bon appetit," Dave says as he begins to hand out plates. Eliza helps Jack get a plate before they all head outside to the patio.

"A toast," Dave begins, raising his glass. "To fresh starts, to new energy, and to beautiful nights like these."

"And to Eliza for shutting up the Senator," Derek says with a chuckle.

"Cheers!" Everyone clinks glasses.

"Who's the Senator?" Jack asks curiously. Everyone laughs.

"It's a long story, kiddo. Eliza can tell you one day." Dave replies, winking at Jack. Everyone wines, dines, and enjoys each other's company, the kids opting to chase each other in the backyard as the adults continue to chat for a while.