Chapter 25

"Aaron, we need to talk," Strauss says firmly.

"About?" Aaron asks.

"Doyle. Interpol got word, and so did the Director. Senator Cramer gave him an earful about the BAU using domestic resources and a personal agenda to apprehend the suspect. The Senator and his committee want to speak to each of you. Until then, I'm afraid I have to suspend each of you from the field. I'm sorry."

Aaron sighs heavily. "When have they asked us to testify?"

"Four weeks," Strauss says. "Mark it down and tell the team. Let me know what I can do."

"Yes, ma'am." Aaron replies, about to hang up.

"And Aaron?"

"Yes?"

"How is she?"

"She—she's going to be ok. Thank you, ma'am." He hangs up and heads back inside Eliza's room. "So they can bitch about our strategy, but don't have time to discuss until a month from now?" Aaron thinks silently.

"What a bunch of shit," he mutters to himself, pacing back into the room.

"What's wrong?" Eliza asks.

"It's nothing, E; you need to sleep," he says.

"I will once you tell me what's wrong, and not a moment sooner. Sit down."

Aaron stubbornly obliges. "That was my section chief. Apparently, some members of the Senate aren't happy with how we apprehended Doyle, and they made sure the Director heard. They want us to testify about our procedure, and we're suspended from the field until then."

"God...when's the hearing?"

"Four weeks," Aaron says.

"Well, I'll be there." Eliza says.

"Eliza, this isn't exactly a situation where they're going to ask for character witnesses."

"They will this time. Aaron, they need to know that I would not be here without each of you, doing whatever it is you did 'wrong,' which was absolutely nothing. Now, who will I need to call to be sure I get my turn with this, this Senator..."

"Cramer."

"Ugh, that guy?"

"You know him?"

"A little. I went to the Hill a few years ago to lobby for some grad school topics, and he and I didn't exactly agree."

"I don't know if that's such a great idea, then."

"I don't give a shit about that. Help me help you—all of you."

Aaron sighs, giving in to his girlfriend's stubbornness. "Alright; you can call my Section Chief once you're back home and have gotten more rest. But not a minute sooner. Now go to sleep; I'll be back later. I love you." Aaron says, kissing her head.

"I love you, too," Eliza says, settling in for more much-needed sleep.

-

Two weeks later, Eliza is back resting home and bored as all hell. The university was super understanding about her situation; she's not supposed to be back into the office until mid-July, but she may go back July 1 if they'll let her. She reaches for her phone and calls Aaron, knowing today was a paperwork day. Each day since her rescue was a paperwork day, actually, because of the suspension.

"Hello?" He says.

"Hi," she says.

"How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good; I walked around the corner today for some tea and didn't gasp out of breath, so I call that a win."

"That's great," Aaron says encouragingly. "What's up?"

"I'm ready to talk to this unit chief of yours."

"Eliza, I—"

"Aaron, I'm ready for this. I've done extra therapy to help process, and she thinks I'm doing great. I have to at least try to get in there to advocate for you all. I don't care if I have to camp outside of Cramer's office—I'm going to do this."

"Alright," Aaron starts. "Can I at least meet with you both?"

"Aaron, I love you, but I can do this myself. And I want it to come from me. I also wouldn't want word of you trying to join our meeting getting back to Cramer to use against you."

"You're right," he says definitively. "I'll send you her contact."

"Thank you," Eliza says. "I'll see you tonight? I have stuff for Jack and me to make cookies."

Aaron smiles softly. "Yes. And Eliza?"

"Yes, love?"

"Thank you. I love you."

"I love you more, Agent."

Soon after, Aaron sends the contact information she needed—Erin Strauss, Section Chief. She dials the number.

"Hello, who is speaking please?" A woman answers, a bit confused.

"Hi yes, this is Dr. Eliza Carlisle; I'm looking for Erin Strauss." Eliza says.

"Doc—Dr. Carlisle," Strauss starts. "This is Erin Strauss. Where did you get this number?"

"From Agent Hotchner. I need to speak to you about the upcoming meeting with Senator Cramer's committee. I need to be there and share my side of the story."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Ma'am, to my knowledge, it sounds like the team that saved my life is being put on some sort of trial for apprehending the suspects who tried to kill me. I owe it to them to share my side of the story so they can keep their jobs and so that they keep doing what they do best. Is this something you can help me with?"

"Dr. Carlisle—"

"Please, call me Eliza."

Strauss pauses. "Eliza. I'm sorry, but this is not a public hearing."

"I understand that, ma'am, but with respect, I'm not someone wishing to just sit in and listen. I'm the victim the team saved. I know I can't offer testimony on the team's strategy or even their mindsets as they pursued the case, but I can share what happened to me and how I owe them my life. Please—I could really use your help. I'm not above camping out at Cramer's office, either, so you can tell them that, too. We've met before anyway, so I know he wouldn't exactly welcome that idea."

"How do you know the Senator?"

"It's a bit rich to say we 'know' each other, but I lobbied for some educational reform topics a few years ago, and he led the questioning on the Hill. it's sufficed to say that we don't share the same views. At day's end, though, I will put that aside to get this done."

Strauss sighs before continuing. "Alright. I will make some calls and report back to you shortly."

"Thank you, ma'am." Eliza hangs up and reaches for her latest copy of Vogue. She flips through for about an hour when she gets a text. Strauss.

"You're in. 9 AM on the 22nd. Don't be late."

"Thank you." She texts Strauss before switching over to Aaron. "I'm in. See you on the 22nd. I'll bring the coffee." 

Eeeep Eliza's gonna testify before the *Senator!* How will it go for her and the BAU??? Stay tuned xoxoxo