Chapter 31

^ this GIF will make sense toward the end lol

The next morning, Aaron wakes up to the light streaming through the windows, Eliza still asleep on his chest. He looks at her for a few moments before brushing her hair behind her ear and kissing her head, which wakes her up. "Good morning," he says.

"Well good morning," she replies. "Last night was fun...wanna recreate it?" She winks.

"As tempting as that is, you promised me your good news, and I still haven't gotten it."

"I see," Eliza starts, propping herself up on her elbow while staying under the blankets to better face him. "Anna called me in between meetings."

"Anna Wintour?" He asks curiously.

"Uh huh," she says.

"Is...that a good thing?"

"I think so," she replies. "She asked me to do another Chanel campaign...oh yeah, and the May cover of Vogue too..."

Aaron's eyes go wide. "Eliza, are you serious?" He asks, surprised but excited.

"Little bit," she says quietly.

"Are—are you ok? Aren't you excited about this?"

"I am," she says. "I was just—I am—nervous about telling you."

"Why is that?" He asks softly.

"I guess I'm just worried," she starts. "Mostly about the press; they can just pry so much. And how much attention they'll put on you, and if people at the Bureau will think differently of you. Or, now that I think about it, what my colleagues will think of me for dabbling into this life again..."

"Well...what do you think about it?"

Eliza pauses. "Well, while I talked to Anna, and she told me about her vision for the article, my gut was just screaming at me to go for it, even though I was hesitant with my words. Then I remembered what you told me a few months back—"

"You mean what you said, in your speech..."

Eliza smiles. "Yes, and then Anna reminded me of what she likes to say. 'It's always about timing.' And, since it felt so right...I said yes."

"Then that's what you lean into. That's your answer. Eliza, don't worry about me. Sure, it'll be something to get used to, but if it's something that'll bring you joy, I'm all in. Besides, I'm a member of the Virginia Bar Association...I can just litigate anybody for libel—yours or mine."

"Ugh, why is that so hot?!" Eliza says.

He smirks before taking her back in his arms and kissing her head. "So who's the photographer for the shoot?"

"Annie." She says, looking up at him with a smile.

"You're kidding," he says excitedly.

"Nope—I was just as floored."

"Oh, I'm not floored." He smirks.

"Oh, is that right?" She moves to straddle him, and they start to make out. "You know I love you, right?"

"I love you, too," he says. "Does your offer still stand?"

"Mehhhh," she starts, and Aaron pouts. "Just kidding!" Things start to get steamy again.

-

Flash forward two weeks from all of the Nashville fun, and it's the big day—Eliza's cover shoot for Vogue. She and the full team from the magazine arrives bright and early to get things started.