Chapter 29

Aaron and Eliza wake to the sunlight streaming through the windows the next morning. Eliza wakes up first and heads to the bathroom to wash her face, brush her teeth, chug some water, and put on some under-eye patches to help with the puffiness. She slowly enters her bedroom to find Aaron awake and checking his phone.

"Hi," she says softly.

"Hi, baby," he says, phone in hand. "Come and sit with me."

She slowly comes back to the bed and lays on her right side, head propped up by her hand. "Just texting Dave I'm not coming in today." She nods. "Do you want to talk about it?" He asks her softly.

"My coffee table," she says.

"What?" he asks gently, brushing her hair behind her ear.

"My coffee table," she starts. "I got back Monday and decided I wanted to shop for a replacement. Then it hit me. My coffee table and my bar cart are broken because someone I trusted came in and attacked me, wanting to kill me. And I had to fight back, or I was going to die. I was so scared." She says sadly. She looks down at the bed and rubs patterns into her comforter before glancing back up at him. "How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Your job. You have to see this sort of stuff, this—this brutality, every day. And you enter willingly, day after day, and then you come home, and you see me, and you raise your son like you have a normal 9 to 5. How do you do it? Especially after going through what you went through inside your own home?"

Aaron pauses before speaking. "There's no good answer to your question, E. And there's no good answer for the best way for people to process things and keep going, except to just keep going. Each of us are different, and no one expects you to recover from your experience like a profiler. But I once heard a wise woman say that moments in life that are difficult to accept are often the ones that make us stronger and pave the way for new journeys. I don't know what that will look like for you, but I'm here for you no matter what it is."

Eliza smiles softly, a single tear escaping her eye, which Aaron wipes away gently. "What is it, baby?"

Eliza continues to smile softly. "Nothing, I—I just don't know what I'd do without you." She cuddles up into his chest and hugs him tightly. He kisses her head before speaking.

"I have an idea. If you're up for it, how about we get dressed, make breakfast, and go find a coffee table together?"

Eliza pauses before speaking. "I think that's a great idea." She smiles into his chest.

"You don't have to do these things alone, E. You're never alone."

"I know." They stay hugging for a while before getting up to get dressed, Aaron picking a lightweight quarter zip and jeans from his selection in Eliza's closet while Eliza freshens up and chooses virtually the same outfit as yesterday, except with her glasses, a top knot bun, and a plain white tee. They soon head out, and Eliza finds the perfect replacement coffee table. She gets out her phone and texts Emily a picture. "We got a new table today."

She smiles brightly at the message. "Love you so much."

"I love you, sis."

-

Flash forward three months, and Eliza is back in the office in her new role as Vice President. She came back with lots of energy and motivation, and she even took on teaching a couple of advanced piano students, too. Soon enough, she's traveling almost as much as her BAU crew; this particular week, she has three meetings to take with GW grads in New York City. At a coffee break in between meetings, she gets a call from a New York number.

"Hello?" Eliza answers.

"Eliza, darling," a woman answers. Eliza recognizes the woman immediately—it's Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief of Vogue magazine.

"Anna?!"

"That's right," she chimes. "How are you, darling?"

"I—I'm great; I'm actually in the city having some meetings."

"I know, doll; that's why I've called you. I was hoping you had some time to discuss an idea I have."

"Of course," Eliza says happily. "You know I'm always down to muse about Gala themes."

"Oh, it's not that doll, it's something else. Something for you."

"For me?" She asks, wondering what Anna has up her sleeve.

"That's right. I got a call from Virginie last week. They're talking about who their next No. 5 girl is going to be...I understand they've experienced some changes as of late, so I made a suggestion."

"Anna...where are you going with this?" Eliza says hesitantly.

"You, doll! Oh, just think about it...it'll be ten years since your first campaign next year! Ten years of Eliza for Chanel No. 5."

"But Anna, I haven't worked with them since I left New York. That was six years ago..."

"That may be true, but Karl always said you were his favorite."

"Oh, stop."

"I'm serious; on God he said that! But you know me; I'm not finished. Are you sitting down?"

"I am..." She says, still skeptical.

"Picture this. You. May cover. Annie Leibovitz."

Eliza gasps. "Stop it." Working with Annie has always been a dream of hers, and Anna knows it.

"That's right. The concept, you may ask? Picture this—ten years since E joined Chanel's iconic fold. Now she's a Ph.D-wielding champion of higher ed—and a stylish one at that. We'd include images from the new Chanel campaign side-by-side with the old ones, as well as ones showing off your new life and style as a higher ed HBIC. I told Annie your story in brief, and she loved it. She even mentioned doing another 73 Questions, this time at your home since you're well out of the dorms by now."

"Anna, you know I don't live that life anymore."

"Exactly. That's the point. You're versatile. And smart as a whip, I might add. Come on, E...think about the press you'd be giving GW."

"I—I don't know about this, Anna...this isn't exactly something fundraisers do..."

"Come on, E...you know what I like to say..."

Eliza takes a breath. "It's always about timing."

"That's right. So—what do you say?"

Eliza pauses, thinking about everything that's happened in the past few months, and suddenly feels inspired. She smiles and responds. "I'd say...where do I sign?"

"Is that a yes?!" Anna asks, shocked. "Eliza Carlisle, that is the quickest yes I have ever gotten out of you. What have you been smoking?"

"C—can I come by today? I have a lot to catch you up on."

"You know where to find me, doll. I'll let them know you're coming. Ta-ta."

Eliza hangs up and cheers softly to herself, catching a few stares in the coffeeshop, but she doesn't care. This is a big win for her, and she can't wait to tell her friends.

A much happier ending than last chapter!!! Exciting stuff for Dr. E!!! And more soft Hotch, ofc. Hope you all are enjoying the story + you had a happy Thanksgiving yesterday if you celebrated. xoxo!