Chapter 19

"I love you." Aaron says. Eliza looks at him with wide eyes, trying to believe her ears.

"Eliza, I love you. I love you...so much. I know I've only known you not even two months, and it's been not even a month of officially dating you...but I just know that I love you. And I've made the mistake before of not saying that enough or in time, so I'm not doing that again. I love you. I've fallen hard for you. And I'm not expect—"

"I love you too."

"What?"

"I love you, too." She says softly.

"You—you do?"

"Yes. I do. I wanted to say it Wednesday after you talked me out of quitting the speech, but I didn't want to make it weird. It felt right in that moment, and I kicked myself afterward for not going for it."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, why?"

"Be—because I almost said it then, too."

"Stop it," Eliza says.

"I'm serious!" Aaron says with a laugh.

"Thi—this is, wow..." Eliza says, taking a breath and smiling back at him. "Is this a simulation? A movie? I can't believe this is happening."

"What, baby?"

Eliza sits on one of the terrace's chairs, and Aaron does the same in the one next to her. "We just said 'I love you' not even a month in, and we almost said it before now in the exact same moment. This kinda shit doesn't happen to me, Aaron."

"Why not?"

"Well, since we love each other, now's a good time as any to tell you that I used be engaged. Up until six short months ago. We met in undergrad, everything was great, he moved to DC with me, we got engaged...then..."

"What happened?" Aaron asks.

"He—he cheated. And apparently, he had for a while—ever since the engagement started..."

"I'm sorry, E. I'm sorry that you had to hurt like that, and I promise that I would never, ever do that to you. At the same time, though, I gotta say good fucking riddance to what's his face, because it means I get to have you."

"Sam."

"Sam. Sounds like a fucko."

"Turned out to be, that's for damn sure," Eliza says with a smile, sitting up from her chair to face him and take his hand. Aaron places his other hand on top, bracing himself for what he's about to say.

"Well, since we're sharing, I'll share with you that I used to be married...and, she died."

Eliza lightly gasps. "Oh God, Aaron...I am so sorry. That is awful."

"It was very hard...and it still can be."

"Do—do you mind if I ask about her? What was her name?"

"Haley," he replies. "High school sweethearts."

"No," Eliza says sadly. "How long has it been now?"

"Two years," he replies.

"Was—was it sudden? Was she sick?"

Aaron takes a breath before continuing. He doesn't have reservations about sharing the story with Eliza; it just never gets easier to talk about. "It was sudden. There was a case we worked on, The Reaper? Eventually, he decided to come after me personally. He stabbed me, so I had to put Haley and Jack into protective custody. He...he tricked Haley into thinking he was a U.S. Marshall and lured them back to the home we had all lived in. Then...he killed her. With Jack there."

Eliza's jaw drops slightly, and she notices she is clutching Aaron's hand very tightly, so she loosens her grip while still holding his hand close. "Did—did Jack—"

"No, Jack didn't see. I made sure he didn't get to Jack. Or anyone else."

Eliza is in disbelief at the horror of the story. "Aaron, I—"

"It's ok. It doesn't get any easier to talk about, but I am glad that I shared it with you."

"I appreciate you sharing with me," Eliza says. "I know that couldn't have been easy. And I know it absolutely couldn't have been easy returning to the job where so much of that took place."

"The Bureau offered me retirement, but I couldn't bring myself to leave the job. This is what I do, and it's a part of me. My motivation has always been to help people and keep them safe, but now, it's more personal. If I can keep even one person from experiencing what I have, I want to do that as long as I can. Plus, those people in there? They're my family." He says, motioning toward inside the penthouse.

"God you're incredible," Eliza says, looking into his eyes. "I know this doesn't make it any easier, for you or for Jack, but she—she's always with you. With both of you. No matter what." She pauses. "What was your favorite thing about her?"

Aaron is surprised by this question, but he answers anyway. "She loved so fiercely, and it showed. And she encouraged everyone to do the same thing."

"She sounds like an incredible woman," Eliza says. "I would have loved to have met her."

"I wish you could've," Aaron says. "I'm glad we took this time out here; it really is beautiful."

"It is," Eliza says, smiling back at him. "I do have a question for you."

"What is it, sweetheart?"

"Did—did I see a tear slip from your eye after I played?"

"Did anyone else see?" Aaron asks, flustered.

"Penelope absolutely did. And I know damn well she's gonna ask about it later with the other girls."

"For what it's worth, you were absolutely incredible. Just perfect." He strokes her cheek and leans in to kiss her, but they hear the terrace door open.

"Oop, my apologies, lovebirds. Just letting you know that Dave is leaving."

"Thanks, P." Eliza says before turning to Aaron. "Does that mean you have to go, too?"

Aaron glances at his Rolex. "8:30...sure do. I have to be up at 5:00 AM tomorrow to be at Capitol Hill by 6:00."

"But I don't have to be there until 7:00 right?" Eliza asks.

"Yes, doll." Aaron confirms with a smile. "Don't get too hungover tonight...we have a lot to celebrate over the long weekend." He smirks.

"Sir, yes sir," she smirks as they enter the penthouse and they all say their goodbyes. Eliza is the last to meet Aaron.

"Bye; I love you," she says audibly enough for the rest of the crew to hear before kissing Aaron.

"I love you too," Aaron says before joining Dave in the hallway. Eliza shuts the door to find her crew of friends very, very surprised.

"Did—did I just hear what I think I heard?!?!" Penelope asks.

"Well, it depends...what might that be exactly?" Eliza teases, beaming from ear to ear as she leans her back against the door.

"Oh my God, the dinner, the toast, the piano music, DC in the springtime...could this be any more storybook?!?!" Penelope exclaims.

"I think that's our cue to leave, pretty boy," Derek says.

"Sounds good; wanna go grab a beer?" Spencer asks.

"How about three?" Derek suggests. "Bye bye, ladies."

"Goodbye gents, we'll see you in the morning!" Eliza says, walking them out and turning back to her girls, back again pressed to her front door.

"You guys..." Eliza starts. "I...I'm in love..."