Chapter 34

Flash forward a few weeks, and Christmas is less than a week away. Aaron and Jack are staying with Eliza tonight after having dinner and doing a gingerbread house together. While having some wine in the living room after Jack goes to sleep, Aaron and Eliza talk about their plan for the holiday.

"So, what's the plan for the 25th? What do you guys usually do?"

"We do Christmas Eve with Jessica and her mom. Then we do Christmas just us—and you this year, I hope."

"Oh my gosh, of course. Why don't you all stay with me Christmas Eve night, then we do presents in the morning before Em & my mother come over in the afternoon?"

"That sounds great," Aaron says. "They won't mind us being here?"

"Oh God no; they love you both! My mother raved about Jack for days after Thanksgiving." Aaron smiles as Eliza continues, who starts to fiddle with her hands as her eyes dart away from Aaron nervously. "Then, maybe after the new year..." Eliza glances back up. "We—we can talk about you and Jack moving in here."

Aaron's eyes go wide, but Eliza keeps talking. "I mean, think about it. You all practically live here anyway. Jack's school isn't that far, and neither is Jessica, really. Plus...there is more room here if you ever give me that baby." She smirks. "What do you think, Aaron?"

"I'm in. But I do need to talk to Jack. He's moved a lot the past couple years."

"Of course. Just keep me posted. I'll clear some closet space for you anyway." She winks.

"God, I love you," he says.

"I love you," she says, leaning in for a kiss.

-

A few short days later, it's Christmas morning. Jack comes bounding into Eliza's room and wakes up his dad.

"Dad! Dad! Dad! Wake up! It's Christmas!!!" He wakes up his dad and proceeds to start running in circles in his place.

"Hey—hey buddy," Aaron rolls over to wake up Eliza, but sees she's already awake.

"Hi buddy, Merry Christmas!" Eliza says happily but still half-asleep. "And Merry Christmas, Agent," leaning over to give Aaron a kiss.

"Ewwwwww," Jack says. "Can we go now??"

"Sure, buddy, let's go." Aaron nods with a smile. He gets out of bed and holds out his hand for Eliza to take, and they all leave the bedroom and straight for the Christmas tree, Jack already there with the biggest present in front of him. Aaron and Eliza settle in to watch.

"Can I open it??"

"Go ahead, buddy." Aaron replies. Jack then tears open the big box, a giant Lego Star Wars set.

"Whoa!!! This is so cool!!!" Jack exclaims. He continues to open gifts as Eliza makes coffee for she and Aaron. After a while of opening various other Lego sets and Nerf guns, Jack spots a little Tiffany bag under the tree.

"Jack, hand that to Eliza." Aaron says, and Jack obliges.

"Tiffany, huh?" Eliza mumbles to Aaron with a wink before opening the bag. In it is a rose gold olive leaf pendant necklace with a small diamond in the center of the leaf. "Aww, I love it!" She beams. "Thank you," she says with a kiss.