13. Brother's Keeper

"What?" Sam's eyes caught Dean's glare once he was done giggling watching you stumble to the Impala.

"You pissing her off or something? I don't know, Sammy. You asked me to be nice and now it looks like you're being the jerk here." Dean sighed and turned around to walk to the car but Sam turned him around by his shoulders.

"I'm not pissing her off. She really does like you." 

"Shut up!"

"No I won't" Sam stood his ground. Dean glared at him further.

"She doesn't like me that way. I know that. You know why? Because I've looked for signs and none were there. I don't know what you're trying to do here, but shut up. Nothing's ever gonna happen between us." Dean brushed him off.

"So you admit it. You like her too." Sam huffed and then grinned.

"No, I don't" Dean turned around. "I just wanna bang her," he called out as he sauntered to the car.

X--------------------------------X

You sat awkwardly in the Impala, not wanting to look back. Why did he do that? Why did he have to tell Dean? That son of a bitch. The car door opened and you melted on the backseat trying to look relaxed. You glared at Sam but he didn't look at you. He looked hurt and guilt was dripping off his face. You felt a pang in your heart and your eyes caught Dean's cold stare through the rearview mirror.

It was an emotionless cold stare. Like he was trying to read your face. So was the look you gave him; just a little bit tinged with uncertainty. He looked back at the road and you drove to wherever your next hunt was. You wanted to ask them where it was but it seemed better to shut up right now.

X-------------------------------X

It was a siren that caused all the trouble un Bedford, Iowa. It would pose as strippers, hook up with guys and release oxytocin into their bodies that would make them fall in love with it and it would manipulate the poor bastard into killing a woman in their life.

First, it was Adam Benson who bashed his wife's head to death for a stripper. Then it was Lenny Bristol who killed his mother. You three were posed as FBI agents and since you looked way too young to be an FBI agent, you posed as their trainee. You guys had a weird run-in with a real FBI guy who kept hitting on you. But you had long before given your heart to a smug bastard. Plus this Nick guy wasn't a treat to look at either.

Normally, at a bar or diner, Dean would give any guy who laid his eyes on you a death glare, but today, he ignored how Nick tried to get into your pants. But Nick was just another guy like the ones from the bard and diners. He stopped hitting on you and after a while and was then all over Dean. It was almost as if they were having a date and it was weird being in baby's backseat while a total stranger sat in the front seat with Dean.

"You know, what. I'm gonna get out of your hair." you sigh and get out of your car. Dean looked at you all confused. "have a nice date" you clicked tour tongue and winked at him as you walked away from the car to keep a watch on the strip club you were staking out from a different spot.

Your eyes were actually not on the entrance of the strip club but on Dean. You just watched him for a long time, your thoughts lost. He laughed and talked with Nick. Then he made a call. That was probably Sam, 'cause he looked pissed. He then made another short call and went back to chatting up with Nick. He laughed again and you realized that he never laughed that way around you. Maybe I bore him. You sighed. Suddenly he's comfortable with some douchebag he just met. Your face twisted in a scowl as you missed Cara, the woman who autopsied the bodies of the victims, going into the club. You then saw that he was waving at you. You jogged back to the Impala and gave Nick a weary smile as he grinned at you from Baby.

"Nick's gonna come with us to the motel and uh... we've got work to do." he looked different. His eyes were greener than it should be. Then you saw it. his pupils were constricted to a dot in his eyes. You frowned at him and he frowned back. "What?"

"Nothing," you shook your head and hopped into the back seat. He turned around and asked you. "Wanna hop up in front? Nick won't mind hanging out in the back." Right... the front seat. "Uhm... I'm better off back here" you cleared your throat and he gave you another one of those cold stares and turned around as Baby roared to life.

X--------------------------------X

You walked into your room and Nick followed Dean into his room. You noticed that even though both doors were open, you couldn't hear Dean's deep voice properly. You were not trying to eavesdrop on them but it was odd of Dean to speak in a low voice. You took off your jacket and walked out of the room just as Sam passed by. He gave you a smile that you returned and you both went into Dean's room.

In a flash, Nick had you lying on the floor, your arms held tight behind you, and your legs pinned down by his feet. You yelped and looked at Dean for help but he stood there with the same cold stare as he held a knife to Sam's throat. Sam's features darkened as it dawned on him. Nick was the siren all along. Before he could make a move, Nick spat at him, infecting him with the venom.

"Now you boys have issues, don't you?" Dean and Sam stood there, their eyes boring into Nick's, completely ignoring you. "Fight it out. The survivor gets to be my brother. And we can be together for the rest of our lives." he hissed as Sam and Dean broke into a dangerous brawl as Nick stood there watching. You lay there, helplessly, a few tears streaming down your face as you watched them cut and bruise each other. Suddenly you felt Nick's breath on your ear as he whispered to you.

"Sorry, sweetheart. I don't do girls.  But, after all of this is over, you can have the winning Winchester for your pleasure. You see, I'm doing you a favor. I'm helping you find who can protect you better." he sounded like a psychopath. Of course, he's a psychopath. He's making two brothers fight over him to get the winner as his own brother and as your partner which did not make a lick of sense.

Suddenly you heard Dean scream and you stopped struggling against Nick and his grip on you loosened. But then he gripped you tighter as he saw Bobby dashing to him. He stabbed Nick with a blood-stained dagger and he dropped dead onto you. Bobby hauled his ass off of you and scrambled over to you.

You were a panting mess as he pulled you in.

"You alright, my girl?"

"yes," you huffed as you pulled away. Your arms and legs hurt from the awkward position Nick had you held down in. "I was just pinned down, that's it." you gasped for a few more breaths as Bobby stood up and held his hand out for you. You grabbed it and stood up and wobbled a little before you found your balance and rushed to find the brothers on the floor of the hall panting, covered in bruises. You walked over to them and dropped on your knees and pulled them both into a hug and you winced together in sync.

X------------------------------------------X

"I thought the siren's MO was getting the woman closest to the victim killed." Sam said, his eyes accidentally falling on you as you stitched Dean's stab wound. Dean looked at Sam and then at you. You didn't meet his eyes. There was something burning in your stomach. A bad feeling.

"Yeah well, she's nothing to me compared to you. You're my brother, man."Dean chuckled. you stopped midway as you pulled the floss out of his skin. You felt weak and pathetic. I am nothing to him. That's it. That's all you wanted to hear; that Dean Winchester did not have any feelings for you. Wasn't a surprise. You could try moving on now. You gave the floss one last pull, a bit harder than you should have and he winced. "Hey! That hurt"

"Tell me if you need anything. I'll be in my room." Pathetic. Just fucking pathetic. You saw Sam looking at you in sympathy. You glared back for a moment and walked out of the room. You didn't like how calm you were right now. He had said you were his best friend once. Of course only when you got him beer, burgers, and pie. You should feel mad about this. But you didn't. You were hurt. But it felt like you had closure.  Dean Winchester is not, never was, and never will be yours and you understood that well now.