Chapter-1

Narrator's POV:-

''Riddhima, Riddhima, come quickly yaar, we are getting late.'' Shouted Sejal Verma taking a chair from the dining table in the hall of their flat.

Sejal Verma and Riddhima Raichand are flatmates but more than that, they are best friends. Both are together from the orphanage. Yes, they are orphans and each other's only family. They live in a rented 3 bhk flat in a cooperative housing society, Mumbai. Both the girls are independent, living their lives on their own terms. Riddhima works as a dietician in the heartbeat hospital whereas Sejal is a teacher in VM Group of Schools.

''Look, I have come.'' Replied Riddhima, coming out of her bedroom on the left side of the hall.

Theirs was a spacious flat with two rooms adjacent to each other, with a washroom in between, connected with both the rooms. Out of which one was Sejal's room and the other was a guest room. In front of these rooms was their drawing room which had one three seater sofa, two single seater sofas, and a center table with some showpieces decorating it. Adjacent to it was Riddhima's room which had a balcony and washroom attached to it. They had an open kitchen which was, in a way, in between Riddhima and Sejal's room as both their rooms faced each other.

''Madam, so much time in taking the purse. You are impossible, Riddhi.'' Said Sejal frowning.
'' I am so sorry Sejal, but you know right that I don't like a messed up room. So I was just cleaning the room.'' Explained Riddhima showing Sejal her puppy eyes.
''Oh my god, here we both are getting late and this girl was just cleaning her messy room as if it is a sunday. You know what, Riddhi, you are a single piece in this world. Sejal said a bit dramatically to which Riddhima replied '' Thank you for the praise, but now let's get going, otherwise we will actually get late.''
''Nobody can win from you in diverting the topic. Let's go now.'' Sejal said smiling making Riddhima smile.

Saying so, both of them left for their respective works in public transports.

Riddhima's POV:-

I reached the hospital panting and quickly punched in the biometric machine, marking my attendance. I came running all through the way, in the fear of getting late, but fortunately, I reached on time. As I was going to my cabin which was on second floor, in the lift, some nurses were gossiping about some celebration and today being a half day. I didn't pay heed to their talks and focused on my today's appointments. I reached my cabin and settled my bag on my desk. Soon after, came my first patient. It was a lady, around 50 years old. She just had a bye pass surgery and wanted a diet plan for herself. I made a plan for her and asked her to come after two weeks.

''Riddhima, Dr Alia is calling you.''
Sana, the nurse, barged in my room.
''Ok, I am going. Thank you.'' I smiled at her which she reciprocated.

As soon as she left, I too got up from my chair, arranging my desk, I moved out of my cabin. Dr Alia's cabin is on the first floor. Moving towards the lift I was thinking about my senior, yes, Dr Alia. She is a nice lady. She has such a friendly nature, that it becomes so easy to communicate with her. I still remember, how I was a bit afraid of her strictness and discipline, when I was transferred to her team. But during our first meet only, she made all my hesitance vanish away with that one assuring smile of hers. She is as an elder sister to me now and I can share, whatever is in my heart, with her.
I lightly knocked on her cabin door as soon as I reached there.

''Come in.'' Came her reply.
Moving inside, I wished her morning.
''Good morning, doctor. You called for me?'' I asked her.
''Good morning, yeah, actually, today we will go with our check up round a bit earlier than usual. So you just bring your notepad and come with me now.''
''Ok doctor. Can I ask you something?''
''Hmm, go on''
''Why is it so that we are taking the check up round earlier?''
''Riddhima, today, Mr Khanna, the owner of this hospital is throwing a party on the ocassion of birth of his grandson. So there is a half day today for the staff, except for the doctors and nurses who are on duty.
''Oh, ok doctor. Thank you.'' Saying so, I left for my cabin to bring my notepad.

This means that those nurses, in the lift, were talking about this celebration only. My god, I don't know how these people get all the news beforehand. Gossip aunties is the perfect name for them. I am such a person who gets such news only in the last and I don't even bother about them. I believe in minding my own business and I expect the same from other people also. Never mind, let's get back to work. I reached Dr Alia's cabin and we left for our check up round. I noted down everything and came back to my cabin and started working on my notes and then I focused on my appointments.

I finished my last appointment, packed my stuff and headed back to the taxi stand.

It's been almost half an hour and here I am, still standing near the taxi stand, but not a single taxi was in sight. So I decided to just walk for some distance in a hope to get a taxi.

Looks like taking a taxi today is not in my fate. I haven't even told Sejal about my half day as I wanted to surprise her at home but it looks as if even after having a half day, we both will reach together.

''Now, only this was left to happen.'' I said sarcastically after looking at my surroundings. Looks like I have lost my way. This area was less populated. Only two or three buildings were in sight and that too far away. But there was an under construction building nearby me which was giving me some negative vibes, I don't know why? Pushing the thoughts out of my mind, I started moving away from that building. But then I stopped in my track as I heard a spine chilling shriek from that building.

''Riddhima, don't go there. Don't go there.'' I kept telling this to myself but my legs moved towards that building as if they have a mind of their own.
As I was nearing the building, the shrieks and shouts of that man were also increasing. Then I heard a sound of whiplash. I gasped in horror as to what was going inside the building?
I entered the building with the sound of whiplash continuously ringing in my ears.
I quickly tip toed to the first floor which was the source of the sound and the view in front of me, made me wince.

There was a man, all drenched in his own blood, with his hand and legs tied to a chair. He was brutally injured, rather I should say brutally beaten. His clothes were torn, hands were burnt and there was a big cut on his forehead as if he banged his head on the wall.

In front of him, a man was standing , holding a whip, while there were five more men, each carrying a gun, surrounding the man tied to the chair as if he would run away if they left him alone. That poor man was not even in the condition of standing without support, leave alone running away.
All of them were wearing black coloured suits.

''Aangre, give me the gun.'' That man with the whip said to one of his men.
''Yes boss''
That man Aangre passed him his gun as if he was passing salt.
''Now, it's time to say good bye to the world, man.''

''Oh my god! He is going to kill him.'' I exclaimed. No, no I have to do something. I don't know what has he done to earn their hatred but I have to save him. But what should I do? I again focused on the scene in front of my eyes. That man was pleading for his life but all of them turned a deaf ear towards him. Before I could have even thought of some idea to save him, a gunshot was heard and the bullet went through his forehead and he was dead on the spot.
I was shocked to the core. A man is lying dead in front of me and I have seen him getting murdered. Unknowingly, I shrieked in horror and unfortunately everybody present there heard it.
The murderer turned in my direction but I ducked down as I was sitting behind a wall of cement sacks but my temporary hideout won't be able to save me for long.
''Oh my god, I am in grave danger. I have to run.'' Saying so, I started running from there.

Hey guys, this is my first ff. I hope you liked it. And if you liked it, do vote for it and leave your lovely comments. Suggestions are always welcomed.