Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Early the next afternoon, I invited Mike to chill with me at my apartment. Unusual to my character, I told him I would cook for us.

I needed to figure him out a bit more. Like, we were vibing and getting to know each other but there was still so much I didn't know about this dude. So, I cooked a little something in the kitchen as he chilled in my living room.

While I waited for my food to finish up, I decided to ask him about what he was doing when I saw him a way back.

"Ay Mike, don't think I am stalking you and I know that is weird that I am just bringing this up now. But a few weeks ago I kinda saw you from across the street and you were going into this building with these other dudes and it just looked... I don't know, it looked like yall was up to something."

"First off, whoa what the fuck." He said looking at me very suspiciously. "Before I even begin to answer you, you gotta answer this question and I know you can't lie. Are you a cop or narc? You wearing a wire?"

I shook my head no and I could see he relaxed just a little. "No I'm not, like I said it was random as hell and I just saw you."

"So why didn't you say what's up? You say you weren't stalking me, but how come you didn't say anything when you saw me?" He asked.

"You were far away, but I recognized you and I was heading somewhere. Like I said as soon as I saw you, you and some other dudes dipped into this building."

"And how was that suspicious exactly?" He asked, now seeming offended.

"Come on, now you make it sound like I'm some sort of racist or something, Mike I'm not stupid."

"I never said you were anything. How you gon just gonna ask me what I was into when all you saw was me and some other 'dudes' go into an apartment building. How is that suspicious?" He challenged me.

"Okay, cool let's drop it then. Clearly I'm off base here." I responded brushing whatever this conversation was quickly becoming off. If he didn't want to keep it 100 with me, I wasn't about to press him. But I also wasn't about to be treated like I was tripping, judgmental or just plain stupid. 

Mike walked over so he stood right in front of me and just silently stared at me.

"Listen, if I wasn't feeling you, I would just up and leave at this point. Like, I don't like anyone assuming shit about me. If you want to ask me something, ask me directly, and if I think you are worthy of knowing that bit of information, I'll share it. I won't lie about it; I'll just decide if you are trustworthy enough to know." He said.

I could definitely respect that and also admit that this man was more mature than I realized.

"Okay, you're right and I didn't mean to offend you. Like I guess I really don't know what you do for a living. So what my question is really, especially if we are going to be doing whatever we are doing with each other. Vibing, dating, whatever I want to know who I'm dealing with. If I need to be on guard or worried about the police cause you're doing some illegal shit then-" I said as Mike interjected.

"Okay slow down. You said some things that I liked and wanted to keep in my memory before you said something else to ruin it. What is going on between us is very much, at least on my end, legit. You already know a nigga feeling your ass for real. Secondly, if I am doing anything illegal the least you know the better, I ain't trying to get you caught up in my shit." He stated.

"Okay so an admission by omission?" I asked trying to decipher what he was revealing to me through all the ambiguity.

"Whatever the fuck that means," He said shaking his head at me and smiling. "You don't have to worry about nothing shorty. Yes, I do what I need to do out here to survive but I am very careful and I don't bring anything to your door."

"You know every person that is in the game thinks they are too good to get caught right?" I said disbelieving his confidence on being too suave to be arrested.

"And you underestimate and continue to assume what your boy is doing. I have yet to reveal what exactly it is that I hustle, and naw we ain't getting that deep today. Like you said we are still vibing and just know that everything is not as simple as it seems. I have my hands in many things to secure the bag. Now quit this interrogation and gimme kiss." He said pushing up on me to steal a quick peck.

"Boy if you don't stop trying to be mack out here," I said rolling my eyes. "We will drop this for now, now go sit down. I don't reveal my cooking secrets with just anyone."

"Oh, I'm just anyone now, shorty?" He asked, raising his eyebrows at me.

"Well, I guess we shall see how much we learn to trust each other with our secrets won't we?" I responded. He nodded his head at me before admitting defeat and walking his cocky ass back to my living room. As much as I had some warning signal going off, I can't front and not admit to my own inner-self that this man was sexy and intriguing.

I got two plates and put some food on them. I got to sodas from the fridge and some forks and joined him in the living room. Mike was watching something on Netflix and was looking sexy as fuck. For some reason, this man especially looked sexy watching TV.