Chapter 12

I looked outside the airplane window and saw the city bask in the last light of the sun. We were returning home after almost a month. 

"Home sweet home.", I mumbled to myself. 

"Yes", daddy said from beside me. 

We arrived a Vladivostok late that evening and a came to pick us at the the airport. It felt different coming back home after so long, the air seemed crisp and everything looked different. Maybe it was because everything was covered in blanket of snow. 

It took us about an hour to reach home. I was eager to meet the person after a long vacation. As soon as we reached home, I rushed to my bedroom but he was not there. I searched the staff quarters, kitchen, parlor, library, music room and even the classroom but he was no where to be found. Dejected after my efforts to look for him, I walked to the garden and settled under the oak tree where we used to play.

"Did you find what you were looking for?", a voice asked from behind me.

"Kit", I stood up and ran into his open arms.

We broke the hug and settled under the oak tree.

"How was the trip?", he asked.

"It was good, Daddy and I enjoyed a lot. We spent a lot of time together playing, trekking, swimming, cooking and exploring nearby places.", I left out the details of our escape, daddy's past and Lucas.

"You were gone for a long time.", he said in the end.

"Yes, so did you miss me?"

"umm."

"Yes or no?"

"Yes", he said meekly in the end.

We talked some more about his life at home. He spent the vacation with his family. They had their annual Christmas party which was the most fun thing he did. I then realized that even my birthday had passed by, we didn't keep track of our days so we didn't realize when 6th January passed by.

We were called early for dinner as I was tired after travelling. I let Kit sleep with me that night.  I slept peacefully that night after a long time.

Next day we walked into our class together talking about our schedules when someone interrupted us,

"Hello", someone greeted us.

I looked up and saw Lucas sitting on my bench, my demeanor changed and I saw Kit observing from beside him.

"What are you doing here?", I asked in an annoyed tone.

"I'm here to study."

"You're in the wrong class, this is Grade 6."

"I was admitted late into school, so this is the right class", he said with a sickly sweet smile.

"Well, tell your mother to enroll you in the right school, this one is not appropriate for you.", I retorted, "Before going clean my desk, its quite dirty."

"Don't involve my mother in this.", he was annoyed now.

"Whatever."

He got up and sat on the last bench on the classroom. Kit was surprised with our exchange.

"Who is he?", He whispered after we settled down.

"My brother."

"Oh and you don't like him.", it was a statement rather than an a question.

"No, he is very annoying, stay away from him", I instructed Kit.

"You've changed."

"How?"