14. The Talk

I was striding down the hallway, my heels clicking faster as maids and butlers shuffled when they saw my wrathful self approaching their direction.

No one wanted to suffer my wrath when I was angry.

And the reason my fourteen-year-old self was angry because I finally knew,

That Fred was the one succeeding my throne, not me.

And that too Eva told -more like drilled- in my head when I was telling her about what I'd do after becoming the ruler of Obelia.

She had screamed at me, to listen to her, 'You're not the one who'll ascend the throne. Its Fred.' She frustratedly ran a hand through her red hair, 'I wanted your family to tell you that. But I don't think they have any plans to do so any sooner. I just don't want you to get hurt when Fred gets crowned five years later.'

I barged into the common study, shoving guards out of the way.

Mum jumped when I almost ripped the door off its hinges with my strength, the strength I'd developed through training in the field all day.

Aunt June and Uncle August looked equally startled while dad barely blinked.

"Get out." I seethed, breathing heavily to control my rising anger, "I need to talk to my 'parents'."

Aunt had a look of concern on her face as she spoke, "George, calm do-","-Not now." I cut her off, gritting my teeth in annoyance, "Seriously Aunt, just get out before I do something I'll regret."

She didn't say anything after that and her and uncle August left the room.

"George, what the hell?" Mum glared and I glared right back, "That's what I should be saying." I snarled, "Why would you make Fred the Emperor?"

"Why not?" Was dad's response.

I stared at him incredulously, "Because Fred is obviously not an Emperor material."

Dad's eyes clashed with mine, "And who are you to decide that?" He asked me.

"Exactly," mum started, "Fred's great at studies and he knows what he is doing. He'd make a nice Emperor."

"Physical strength?" I scoffed, "Ever heard of that?"

Mum scowled, "Not everybody needs to be physically strong to be an Emperor."

I looked at her as if she'd grown another head.

"What do you mean?" I found myself asking.

Because whatever she was saying was not making sense.

Physical strength decides everything.

The stronger you are, the more chances you have at surviving.

Dad is the strongest, that's why he is the emperor.

And I have no doubts about my strength.

I'm directly from the royal bloodline and have the needed strength. I'm smart too.

Then why won't I be the one sitting on my throne?

"Brains are more important now. Especially in an Empire like ours where wars aren't fought on yearly basis." She explained.

I frowned, "I have brains too."

Mum raised her eyebrows at that, "And what does that have to with anything?"