Chapter 37

Once all of the food was done, the three of them sat down at the large dining table that he rarely used and had dinner. After they were done eating, Sandi suggested that they watch some movies. A vote was held to decide what they would watch, and Drake lost each time. The first movie they watched was Beaches. Drake sat in between Raven and his mother watching as the two of them went through every emotion they possessed. He sat back and observed as they unconsciously sang along and wondered how many times they've seen this movie. By the end of it all, they were both in tears. Next, they put in Stepmom, which he was also out voted on, he simply came to the conclusion that this was not his night. Drake endured yet another sappy flick where tears were involved, his heartstrings were even tugged at a few times. Finally, Raven and Sandi gave in and let him see something that he wanted to watch. About twenty minutes into his movie, he noticed that Raven had fallen asleep, and his mom was almost there. He looked over at his mother who was for the life of her trying to keep her eyes open, but it just wasn't working.

"It's late mom, you don't have to stay up and watch this with me," Drake spoke in almost a whisper so he wouldn't wake Raven whose head was resting on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry baby, I'm just really tired, its been a long day." Sandi finished with a yawn as she stretched her arms high and stood from the sofa.

"I know, get some sleep mom."

"Goodnight baby." She bent down and kissed his forehead. Sandi went to walk away, but she suddenly stopped turning back to Drake. "Be good to this one, I like her," she whispered and then made her way out of the room.

Drake looked down on Raven and smiled, he had planned on taking his mother's advice. After Sandi went up the stairs he cut the television off and scooped the sleeping woman up in his arms and carried her up the steps and to his bedroom. He laid Raven on the bed and took off her shoes and clothes. He then headed back down the stairs to clean the dinner dishes. It was the least he could do since they did cook.

By the time he got back upstairs and back in the bedroom, he saw the empty bed and heard the shower being cut off. Drake walked to his adjoining bathroom and saw that the door was slightly cracked. He laid his palm on it opening it further, that's when he saw Raven standing over the sink with her towel wrapped around her semi-wet body. Drake stood there in the doorway admiring her from a distance as she brushed her teeth.

Once she was finished, she un-wrapped her hair from the bun it was in and sighed shaking her head as she looked at the tangled heap it had become. Out the corner of her eye, she noticed the figure standing in the doorway watching her. When she turned her head to acknowledge his presence, he began to move closer to her.

Drake walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her waist looking at their reflection in the mirror. The two of them just stared at each other with so many words unspoken. He held her close to him as he spoke softly to her. "I fucked up, I was wrong, and I apologize for that. I really don't know what else you want me to say."

Raven shook her head. "It's not what you say, it's what you do."

"Okay, then what do I have to do. Where do we go from here and how do we get past this?" he asked sincerely. 

"Well for starters, you can ease up on the drugs and alcohol," said Raven. There was a pause as if he actually had to think about it... "Aubrey!" her voice snapped him out of his daze forcing an answer.

"Alright, done." Thinking that they've reached some form of an agreement, he crooked his head to the side leaning down to kiss her neck, but Raven wasn't quite at that point yet and shifted away.

"And, the next time something is bothering you, I would appreciate it if you'd come and talk to me first instead of going off the handle, and I promise to give you that same courteously."