lxii. THE DATE (ROUND 2)

Avalon stood in front of the mirror on her bedroom vanity, smoothing out the creases on her jeans as she waited for Teddy to knock on her door to take her on their date.

And there was a knock on the door, but Amelia Weasley came in instead of Teddy.

Amelia was wearing a sundress that afternoon, clearly enjoying the warm summer day and letting the breeze flow over her exposed arms and legs.

"Oh, hi, Mum." Avalon said with a smile, trying not to sound too disappointed over the fact that it was her mother and not her boyfriend.

"Hi, my love." Amelia said as she came to stand behind her daughter in the mirror, only an inch or two taller than Avalon. "Do you need any help getting ready?"

Avalon met her mother's eyes in the mirror. "No, I don't think so. Just need to do something with my hair. Other than that, I'm good." She replied.

"D'you mind if I do it? It's been a while since you've let me do your hair..."

"Sure, Mum. Go crazy."

Amelia grinned widely and steered her daughter by the shoulders to sit in the chair in front of her vanity, immediately diving in with a hairbrush, comb, and a few bobby-pins and hairties.

It turned out that Teddy's date was a day out in muggle London, spending the afternoon and evening exploring the city while also taking time to stop in at each of their favorite shops, restaurants, and museums.

Their first stop was a muggle pub called Black Tap, and apparently, they were famous for their mozzarella triangles and so-called "freak shakes," which were regular milkshakes with whole slices of cake on top. In Avalon's opinion, it looked like diabetes in a glass, and she was more than excited to try it.

They had the mozzarella triangles to start with, and from the moment the greasy, fried snack hit her tongue, she found herself madly in love with the taste.

"Bloody. Fucking. Hell." She groaned mid-chew. "I think this might be the best thing I've ever tasted in my entire life."

Teddy laughed, loving the look of wonder and bliss on his girlfriend's pretty face.

One of the many things that Teddy absolutely adored about Avalon was how passionately she felt about things. She didn't just like or dislike something—she hated, loved, despised it. If she liked you, she loved you. And he was on the receiving end of that adoration.

"Stop looking at me like that." She said, mouth full of gooey, cheesy goodness.

He smiled widely. "Why am I never allowed to look at you?"

"Because you always look at me like you're in love with me, and it scares me!" She replied defensively.

Teddy's smile fell, and he reached across the table to grab her hand. "Listen, dummy, I am in love with you. Would you prefer that I look at you like I absolutely despise you?"

"Yes!"

The next stop on their date was a wizard art museum that Narcissa Black had taken the Weasleys and Teddy to in their youth.

"Oh, Merlin, I haven't been here in years." Avalon said with stars in her eyes, doing a spin to take in all the sights in the first room they stopped in.

"Hey," He said lowly, catching her attention and drawing her eyes away from a mural on the far wall. "This one kind of looks like you."

She looked at the painting he was pointing to; it was painted in the fifteenth century, and it was a portrait of a young woman with red hair, striking blue eyes, and a freckly face. He was right—the girl in the painting looked exactly like Avalon.

Avalon checked the small plaque under the moving portrait: Cassandra Ivanov-Prewett, daughter of Leopold Ivanov, a Russian wizard famous for using the Polyjuice Potion to negotiate peace and stop a war between England and Russia; and Marina Prewett, daughter of the former Minister for Magic, Peter Prewett.

The girl in the painting smiled knowingly at her ancestor.

"Wicked."

i really don't like this chapter but you'll have to forgive me, my throat hurts so bad and i'm p sure i might have covid which means i probably gave syd covid and i hate it