xcviii. AVALON'S BEDROOM

Avalon laid on her bedroom floor, staring up at her ceiling, with music playing from the record player in the corner of the room.

Her phone was lost somewhere in the piles of blankets on her bed, far enough away from her that she wouldn't be tempted to check the time every few minutes to count down to midnight.

She just had to make it to tomorrow. Then she would be past the memory of her and Teddy's first kiss.

She heard a knock on her closed bedroom door, and without getting up, she called, "Come in."

"Hey." Arthur said quietly from the doorway.

Avalon sat up, confused, and looked at her twin brother. "What're you doing in here?" She asked.

He held up a tray of brownies sheepishly, pushing his glasses up his nose. "Mum made these, and I figured you would want one, so..."

She smiled softly, scooting backwards until her back hit the foot of her bed. He sat down next to her and set the brownies on the floor between them.

"Thanks." She said after she'd taken a bite of a corner piece, appreciating both that her brother had thought to bring her dessert and that her mother had baked them her favorite way—with white chocolate chips and peanuts.

He shrugged dismissively. "Don't mention it."

Avalon hadn't genuinely spent time with her twin, just the two of them where both of them were in the mood to be civil, in a long, long time. She couldn't even remember the last time they had hung out—that's how long it had been.

"So, how's Beth?" She asked awkwardly; of course, she knew how her best friend was, since they talked every single day. But she was trying to make conversation.

Arthur went beet red, blushing from his neck to his ears. "She's, er... she's good. Great, actually." He said shortly, clearly embarrassed to be talking about his girlfriend with his sister.

She laughed at how flushed he'd gotten and elbowed him in the ribs.

"Fan behavior, innit?"

a poorly developed avalon/arthur being homies chapter