cxvi. HOGWARTS

Avalon was released from the hospital wing into the care of Violetta the next morning, with strict instructions to refrain from physical labor and only eat a list of pre-approved foods as to not set off her stomach.

Violetta led her to the kitchens, where Avalon was to take her meals for the next few days so she wouldn't be tempted by the food in the great hall.

"This sucks." Avalon said, face pale and sallow, likely a side effect of the drama from the day before. "I just want to go back to normal, eat pie with all of my friends. I don't get why I can't just, I dunno, fake it 'til I make it." She whined.

Violetta looked over at her with a knowing smile. "Av, I love you, but if I had to find your passed out body yesterday, you have to follow doctor's orders and get back to being healthy again, alright?"

The redhead cringed. "Blimey, I didn't even realize how scary that must've been for you. I'm sorry."

"You should be sorry! It was terrifying. I mean, I had to scream for help because my best friend was half-dead on the ground!" Violetta exclaimed, louder than she usually allowed herself to be.

Out of all of Avalon's closest friends, Violetta was the most mysterious to her, and to everyone, really. It was rare that she talked about herself, and when she did she was often quiet and reserved. She much preferred to sit back and listen, laughing along when appropriate. But that didn't stop Avalon from loving her fiercely and with everything in her, for even though she was the quietest, she was always steadfast and supportive.

They reached the kitchens, and to Avalon's disdain, Violetta insisted on helping her over the ledge as if she was some frail old lady.

"Miss Ava! Miss Ava!" Lottie the house elf was so excited that her tiny body was practically vibrating with happiness.

Avalon smiled widely as Lottie hugged her around her middle. "Hi, Lottie! How have you been?"

Lottie grabbed both Avalon and Violetta around their wrists and dragged them over to the small wooden table in the center of the kitchen, shoving them down into chairs.

"Can I make Miss Ava and her friend a cup of tea? Maybe some cocoa?" Lottie offered, already bustling around and pulling mugs off of shelves.

Avalon opened her mouth to answer, but Violetta cut her off. "Actually, Lottie—it is Lottie, right? I'd hate to get your name wrong—Avalon has a restricted diet for the next few days, so she'll be eating meals in here for a while, if that's alright."

Lottie's smile fell, but only momentarily. "Oh! Alright. Yes, Lottie is my name. What's yours? And what is Miss Ava's diet?" She spoke in rapid fire.

"I'm Violetta, but feel free to call me Vi. All my friends do. Av's only allowed to have things like soup, rice, vegetables, and pasta. Lots of proteins. Nothing that will irritate her stomach or make her sicker than she already is." Violetta replied.

The house elf seemed more than alright with the situation; she was incredibly happy to be able to cook for her friend Avalon, and even more happy to be able to spend more time with her.

So Lottie scrambled up a tall step-ladder to reach a small pot from a high, obviously rarely-used shelf, and began to bring some water to a boil.

"I'll cook you what Mister Lupin always asked me to make him when he was sick." She said with a warm, almost motherly smile towards Avalon.

Violetta leaned over and whispered in Avalon's ear: "Why does she call you Ava, instead of your full name?"

Avalon laughed quietly. "Teddy used to come in here and talk to her about me all the time before we officially started dating—since he calls me Ava, she does as well."

It turned out that Lottie had made a chicken and rice dish, and neither the smell nor the taste of it made Avalon's stomach turn. It was a definite bonus that the meal was delicious.

Violetta and Avalon stuck around well into lunchtime, talking with Lottie about their lives and giving the dark-haired Chaser a chance to get to know her.

They only left when Lottie practically kicked them out so she and the other elves could begin prepping for that evening's dinner, but not before giving Avalon a long hug and making her promise to come visit far more often.

we stan lottie