the compelled therapist - chapter 9 part 1

Elijah and Hayley had returned to the plantation after Rebekah, Niklaus and Astrid.

'So.. thanks for the ride' Hayley mumbled awkwardly and smiled at Elijah. 'Quite the awkward little adventure, wouldn't you say? I'm sorry I tried to hurt you. I would never want that.' Elijah stayed the noble brother as always. 'Elijah.. tell me what happened to Celeste?' Hayley couldn't help her curiosity.

'That's not important'

'Yes it is! A thousand years of memories and that's what breaks through your fever brain? Show me!'

Elijah turned to her directly and sighed defeated before placing his hands either side of her head.

Flashback.
1821

Elijah ran back into the bathroom he shared with Celeste only to cry out in sheer agony for his love had been drowned. Celeste laid there in the bath, underwater, her eyes still open and emotionless. As he cried, he grabbed her limp body out of the water and held her in his arms.

Flashback Over.
Present day.

'It was a cruel and bloody time to be a witch, courtesy of my wonderful brother'

Elijah spoke half heartedly as he looked away from Hayley. 'She died because of Klaus?' Hayley began to hold a certain hatred for Klaus. 'She died because of me. Because I cared too deeply for her. I had allowed my brother to slip through my grasp. I loosened the reigns while Celeste consumed my every moment. I had abandoned him in the name of my own happiness. Celeste payed the price' he had a tendency to blame himself.

'I don't get it. Why are we here? Why are you trying to put together your family when it's so clear that one part of it is broken?' It had become noticeable now even to Astrid that Hayley and Elijah had grown quite fond of each other over the last months as she almost pleaded with him to put himself first, shaking her head in confusion at Elijah's insatiable need to heal his family.

'To me, the very definition of the word "broken" suggests that something can be fixed. I have a whole eternity to accomplish one single task: my brother's salvation. If I surrender this, then tell me-- what value would I be to my family? To myself? ...To your child?'

Astrid looked through the window to the car as she watched them talk, eyes curious. She raised an eyebrow in surprise as the pair looked at each other in the vehicle for a moment longer then they should have so she listened to see if she could hear anything, 'Please, Hayley. You've seen what happens.' Elijah looked away from her and Astrid took a mental note of this moment, planning to either attack the situation herself of tell Nik.

'Elijah's home. There's only one dagger. Which one of us will you be punishing today?' Rebekah walked into the doorway of the room that Nik and Astrid resided in. She chuckled lowly as she replied, 'Quite the victim complex we've got there, huh Beks? Wasn't it your boyfriend who had one of his sneaky little subordinates sneak into this house, snap my neck and chuck me in a literal dungeon whilst you made a murder hit on my husband?'

Klaus laughed at her bitter reply as he piped up too, 'You know.. I contemplated a game of eenie-meenie-miney-moe. You betrayed me. My own sister!' He pointed the dagger at her with a fuelled rage, a fire in his eye and Astrid knew it was best to let him speak.

'Niklaus, don't you dare!' Elijah ran into the room at this and Astrid rolled her eyes, the pair making eye contact since the revelation of what Mikaelson had the final say in leaving her behind.

'Perhaps it should be you, brother! Stealing my child away with every fawning moment of tenderness you show to Hayley! So determined to turn not only Hayley but even my own wife against me with your explanations about my apparent intentions for my child!' He pointed the dagger at his brother now, tears in his eyes.