wicked games - chapter 14

Astrid awoke with a pounding headache. Squinting as she raised her hand to shield her eyes from the sun, she propped herself up on her elbows and looked over at her sleeping husband. Her whole body was on fire, every joint burned and her eyes were still half shut as her face fell back into the comfortable pillow, recalling what happened. Taking a moment, she rose again, swinging her legs over the bed and standing up shakily.

She hummed as she looked down to see she was in one of Nik's T-shirt's before going to the bathroom and washing her face of dried tears. Sadness washed over her like a storm when she looked in the mirror, immortals don't age or falter yet she looked sunken in.

She looked exhausted.

She took a moment before she jumped out of her skin, the shadow of Davina Claire stood just behind her in the mirror. Astrid turned around quickly, hair flicking against the mirror only to see nothing.

Being startled by the noise she made, Nik ran in. 'Are you alright?' He sped to her instantly.

'Yeah.. yeah I'm fine, Nik. Don't worry' She spoke unsure and kissed his cheek before walking back out, getting ready for the day.

Meanwhile at Lafayette Cemetery.

What the Mikaelsons didn't realise was that the Harvest was indeed working. Sabine the witch had infiltrated the ritual had stolen the magic from the four dead teenagers to resurrect three others. For Sabine wasn't Sabine at all, she had inhabited that body.

Her real name was Celeste Marie Helene Dubois.

She stood in a mausoleum next to a red headed witch, Genevieve - and both were just as power hungry as the other. They chanted in pig Latin as the bowl in front of them lit up and swirled around, almost like a storm. Once they saw that Astrid had indeed seen the vision of her dead adoptive daughter, they stopped and smiled to each other.

'I'm looking forward to seeing her again, you know. Always fun to play new games with old friends' Genevieve spoke smug as Celeste as she replied, 'Especially when we're the ones who wrote the rule book'

The Compound.

'Astrid! Come here' Rebekah hurried to the bottom of the stairs as the Hybrid descended them, dressed in grey jeans, a black vest and a green leather jacket.

'You alright, Beks?'

'Yeah..' she seemed scared to ask the next bit, 'Can we talk about last night? You just seemed to know a lot about the Harvest and I wanted to fact check something?'

'Of course, love' Astrid smiled groggily as Rebekah returned it, 'Great, I'll make us some tea'. She ran off and the exhausted girl sat down on the red sofa in the room, hesitating and pausing for a moment - remembering Thierry's run in with Klaus. Rebekah came back over and handed her a warm mug and as Astrid took a big sniff, she smiled. 'You remembered?'

Rebekah had given her ginger tea, her all time favourite. 'Of course, you're my best friend' Rebekah felt riddled with guilt, Astrid had spoken to Elijah about forgiveness but not her. 'What was you going to ask? About the Harvest?'

'It was definitely working right? When they tried the first time?' Rebekah held her mug tightly. 'Yeah, one hundred percent.'

'So the power had to have gone somewhere right? If the Ancestors accepted it then it would've followed through'

Astrid froze at this, eyebrows raised. 'Bekah.. you're right. That power didn't go back into the earth.. so where did it go?'. Nik had walked down the stairs and overheard their conversation before pacing over. 'What's going on here then?'